Frame rust - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-27-2012, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
packersxxxi
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Frame rust

Ok so i know theres a lot of threads about this but i thought i just ask again... The other day i noticed a decent amount of rust on the frame on both sides where the skidplate is attached... I can also see the inside is beginning to rust... I want me jeep to last for a very long time and i want this taken care of right away... What are your suggestions for me to do? So far i was looking at rust bullet for the outside and eastwood internal frame coating.. Also what steps do i meed to take becore and after? Thanks!

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 95,000 miles, Jensen VM9214, Sony Xplode 12", Kenwood 350w amp, KC Hilites 130w Long Range lights, Warn VR8000 Winch.. Build List: 3" BDS Suspension Lift with Fox 2.0 shocks, Pro Comp Rock Crawler 152 Rims, 33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R's, LOD Rear Bumper, Metalcloaks front and rear, tom wood's SYE and CV driveshaft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-27-2012, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
packersxxxi
2000 TJ Wrangler 

image-126450444.jpg

This is the worst spot

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 95,000 miles, Jensen VM9214, Sony Xplode 12", Kenwood 350w amp, KC Hilites 130w Long Range lights, Warn VR8000 Winch.. Build List: 3" BDS Suspension Lift with Fox 2.0 shocks, Pro Comp Rock Crawler 152 Rims, 33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R's, LOD Rear Bumper, Metalcloaks front and rear, tom wood's SYE and CV driveshaft
post #3 of 12 Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If thats you worst spot you're lucky. That frame looks to be in great shape for having spent it's life in New Jersey.

Wire wheel the scale off and coat with paint of your choice, rubberized undercoating, waxoyl etc. Whatever works for ya'. Eastwood sells some metal prep products designed to "convert" rust into a phosphate coating. It actually seems to work pretty well based on my experience. Get some of that, hose down the inside of the frame with it, let it do it's job and topcoat with some sort of paint.

Just for comparison, this is what's inside MY frame after roughly the same amount of time:

Call me Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbates View Post
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.

post #4 of 12 Old 09-27-2012, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
packersxxxi
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombi
If thats you worst spot you're lucky. That frame looks to be in great shape for having spent it's life in New Jersey.

Wire wheel the scale off and coat with paint of your choice, rubberized undercoating, waxoyl etc. Whatever works for ya'.

Just for comparison, this is what's inside MY frame after roughly the same amount of time:
Oh wow thats insane... I havent actually seen a picture of the inside just looked quick through the hole hopefully mine isnt too bad

post #5 of 12 Old 09-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersxxxi View Post
Oh wow thats insane... I havent actually seen a picture of the inside just looked quick through the hole hopefully mine isnt too bad
The inside of your frame wont likely be as bad as mine. What you could do is take a blowgun with an angled extension and jam it into the frame to blow out loose debris.

Call me Z
Quote:
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Jsinclair
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I took a shopvac and taped a peice of hose to nozzel fished it threw my frame to remove that scale. I was able to get about 99% of the rust scale out and then coated it with eastwood internal frame coating. I coated the outside of the frame with Chassis saver and overall I've been pleased with the results.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-27-2012, 12:41 PM
VietVet67
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Dam those pic's make me GLAD i live in Oregon where they don't use salt but i feel your pain!!!

Silver Jeep club member #76 Semper -Fi my brothers
post #8 of 12 Old 09-27-2012, 01:13 PM
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Spay the nutserts with penetrating oil for a good couple weeks using the holes in the side of the frame and then heat them up really good and take the T.C. crossmember off and paint thoroughly then reassemble with a liberal amount of anti-seize. Also clean out the body mount rail on the tub and spray that with the eastwoods. That'll surely go next.

I hate salt.

'99 SE: The "It could be worse..." jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
...I say don't lift but CUT. :)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Monomoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rust

Ha. That's nothing.. Pic of my brother's jeep.. (kinda off topic I know...)
Attached Thumbnails
TJ Frame2.jpg  
post #10 of 12 Old 09-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomoy View Post
He ever get that thing fixed? I remember that pic from your other thread.

Call me Z
Quote:
post #11 of 12 Old 09-27-2012, 04:54 PM
DKenyon28

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomoy View Post
Holy crap! That's crazy!
post #12 of 12 Old 09-28-2012, 06:37 AM
Monomoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombi View Post
He ever get that thing fixed? I remember that pic from your other thread.
Its up for sale...frame replacement quotes ranged from $4K to $6K.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in