• 1 Post By NashvilleTJ
  • 2 Post By NashvilleTJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-10-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
TeamDem4
1999 TJ Wrangler 

frame or Frameless Soft Top

Hey There,
So I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but a quick search and I could not come up with a good thread to read.

It is time to retire my existing soft top. I would really like to get a frameless top. I like the fastback look and don't particularly like the look of the framed top piled up on the back of the jeep when the top is down. However, I live in a part of the country where rain can pop up at anytime with little notice during the summer so I need something that I can put up quickly. Not only that, I need a way to carry it with me when I'm out and it is not on.

Has anybody tried this with the frameless top? Where can you carry the bikini top and windows when they are off, or do you just accept that it will always be on? I like that they come with a pocket for the side windows though is seems like a lot of bulk do have hanging over my head.

Please share your thoughts. Should I just go the easy way out and replace the soft top using the existing hardware, or make the jump to a frameless top?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-11-2019, 12:33 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I loved my Bestop Trektop NX with the flip back sunroof option. I never removed the entire top after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/LoD bumpers
Desert Sand 99' XJ Classic (JEEP #18) ) 5" BDS lift / HP30/ 8.25/ 33x12.50" DC Extreme Country/Tactik black satin wheels.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-11-2019, 10:30 AM
freedom_in_4low
1999 TJ Wrangler 

same here. I live in Colorado, which has a monsoon season from June into September where if you're near mountains, every afternoon has a chance of rain whether the meteorologists predict it or not.

I use a hardtop during snow season and I have the Trektop NX with the sunrider that I use from May to November. I never go completely topless, because the sunrider gives me enough of a topless sensation that I don't feel the need to. Last summer I only had the windows on for a total of a few days, and the doors maybe a couple of weeks.

Joe
1999 TJ Sahara
2008 MINI Cooper S
2010 Toyota 4Runner

post #4 of 9 Old 03-11-2019, 06:08 PM
tyvanwie

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I vote frameless
post #5 of 9 Old 03-12-2019, 12:30 PM
Kalten
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I briefly had a frameless soft top from Rampage. You could store all the windows between the soft top and a flap under the soft top. Kinda like the design but sold the top after a week of use (it came with the Jeep when I bought it along with the hard top and a factory soft top) because it made the backseat useless for anyone in my family since we are fairly tall and our heads hit the top. Does not happen with the hardtop or the OEM soft top with the frame.

06 LJ Auto, 4" SL, Synergy Adj CA & Trackbar, 33x10.5 AT KO,
231 w/(WC,2lo,6pinion & JB-C SSYE)
post #6 of 9 Old 03-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I was thinking about going frameless but then I discovered I could use the space between the sound bar and soft top for transporting fishing poles.
The27Jeenyus and NashvilleTJ like this.

01 TJ,33X12.5Flaken WP ATs,Winch, ARBs F&R, belly up, some armor,4.0,5spd
post #7 of 9 Old 03-12-2019, 02:00 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I run the Rampage on my LJ and I really like it. I almost never remove the bikini - mainly due to the intense sun here in Nashville. It takes just a few minutes to remove the side and rear windows, and you can tuck them up under the top. It is more involved to completely remove the Rampage than to remove the stock soft top, since on the stock top I just removed the pins holding the bars on and then pulled the entire thing. The Rampage takes a bit more effort than that since the "inner liner" straps down to the cage. On the LJ, I think the Rampage looks much better than the stock top.

The main reason I went to the Rampage was the easy transition from the full top configuration to the Bikini. Prior to the Rampage I was constantly completely pulling the stock top and putting on the bikini, and then pulling the bikini and reinstalling the soft top. Much easier now.

Here is the bikini config and the full top config.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0422.jpg   IMG_4098.jpg  
TheBoogieman likes this.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-12-2019, 02:07 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

To give you an idea how much I liked the Rampage, I had to make a slight modification to my roll cage to make it fit...
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep - Rampage Top - 8-11-2012 040.jpg  
TheBoogieman and The27Jeenyus like this.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #9 of 9 Old 03-12-2019, 05:25 PM
CJRoberts8812
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Rampage bowless that I'm fond of. But you'll NEVER get it up in time to not get wet in case of sudden rain. It's about a fifteen minute process to get it up, though it would be less if you had the door surrounds attached.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in