Fox 2.0 vs. Savvy Fox 2.0 vs. Rancho RS5000X - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 Old 07-19-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Newtons3
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Fox 2.0 vs. Savvy Fox 2.0 vs. Rancho RS5000X

It is time for shocks. I have read most everything posted that is relevant. What I have not found is a discussion about who reigns supreme between the three shocks I am considering. Fox 2.0, Savvy Fox 2.0, and Rancho RS5000X. The price difference is not a factor. I travel across the country in my Jeep and run light to moderate trails. My Jeep, although not super light, is not a porker but I don't have an actual weight. I have been trying to get it on the Longacre scale, but we had a flood/hurricane scare here and I haven't done it yet.

Any opinions based on actual usage of any two of these would be helpful.

I guess I should also ask why everyone abandoned OME. They still offer a shock that will fit my Jeep too.

2006, TJ, 33's (going to 35's), 4 inch lift.

gsindela likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 07-19-2019, 04:37 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Regarding OME, from what I understand their Nitrocharger Sport shocks are notably stiffer than their old fare, excessively so tends to be the common verdict. Rather a shame as I quite like the old set I still run on my TJ and wanted to get some for my LJ as well, but they no longer offered them when I picked it up.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 52 Old 07-19-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Newtons3
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks

post #4 of 52 Old 07-19-2019, 04:51 PM
OJack

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Get a hold of Paul, Fullstack Motor Sports. He will set you up with what you want. He is a member here, too.
WSS likes this.
post #5 of 52 Old 07-19-2019, 05:12 PM
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJack View Post
Get a hold of Paul, Fullstack Motor Sports. He will set you up with what you want. He is a member here, too.
Second this, he goes by pcoplin on here. The ranchos are fine if all you're looking for is a generic shock not much different than the rest of the auto parts store shocks. If you're trying to go fast over rough terrain, have the necessary uptravel to do so, and want shocks tuned for your Jeep, fox 2.0s are a good option as are radflo, Kings, ADS, etc. There can be a huge difference between a well tuned shock and what you would get from the ranchos, or anything else really
WSS likes this.

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 52 Old 07-19-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Newtons3
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for that. I am actually leaning away from the custom tuned shocks. I travel a lot and the three shocks I have destroyed have been damaged while I was a considerable distance from home. I like the idea of something I can replace on the road fairly easily, as that has been my situation more than once. I am also not in the exotic shock club on my Jeep. I have not gone to coilovers or even outboarded yet.

I am well versed in shock technology and shock tuning. If I had my choice, I'd be running AFCO or Ohlins coilovers. Those are the what I know and love dearly. To be honest, I have a bit of trepidation about running a custom valved shock while living so far away from support.

I could be convinced otherwise, not ruling it out. Just factors that I have to consider.
post #7 of 52 Old 07-19-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Newtons3
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just a note: None of my previous statements were any commentary on Full-Stack Motorsport's capabilities or talents. Their reputation is well known.

I just don't think that the variables in terrain, weight, etc. with a DD Jeep lend themselves to a real successful custom tune without constant support. I think to reap the benefits of the "custom" valving, I'd have to have at least 2 sets. One for when I'm loaded out on the road and one for lighter weight trail running.

I am primarily looking for a progressive shock that rides well and above all else, can control my axles and tires.
post #8 of 52 Old 07-19-2019, 05:49 PM
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtons3 View Post
Just a note: None of my previous statements were any commentary on Full-Stack Motorsport's capabilities or talents. Their reputation is well known.

I just don't think that the variables in terrain, weight, etc. with a DD Jeep lend themselves to a real successful custom tune without constant support. I think to reap the benefits of the "custom" valving, I'd have to have at least 2 sets. One for when I'm loaded out on the road and one for lighter weight trail running.

I am primarily looking for a progressive shock that rides well and above all else, can control my axles and tires.
I would call Paul and talk to him some, he's very knowledgeable and taught me pretty much everything I know related to shocks. He might change your mind on a few things. How exactly are you damaging shocks or what are you worried about? If you're suspension is setup up right there's not really too many ways to damage them considering there usually tucked away. As far as tuning, you can get a tune that works well for a variety of terrain. I have 2.0s up front and 2.5s in the back of mine. Tuned them at KOH this year for going fast over big whoops and even got a decent amount of air a few times with very nice landings. I've been running that tune since February around town, forest roads and wherever I go without much want to change it. Custom tune doesn't necessarily mean it only works for doing 60 over whoops, jumping it, etc.
tworley likes this.

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 52 Old 07-19-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Newtons3
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Damaged 2 shocks 2 years apart the same way. Knocked the reservoir clean off. In all my years of racing I had never seen it happen. I did it twice. Once to the left rear and once to the right front. The third was a bent shaft on the rear right. Never reversed on the trail. Have no clue what I hit that bent the shaft....bit I did. That one made it home, although it made it's presence known.

I'll probably call them up. I am a gear fanatic, maybe he'll talk me into it.
post #10 of 52 Old 07-19-2019, 10:12 PM
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtons3 View Post
Damaged 2 shocks 2 years apart the same way. Knocked the reservoir clean off. In all my years of racing I had never seen it happen. I did it twice. Once to the left rear and once to the right front. The third was a bent shaft on the rear right. Never reversed on the trail. Have no clue what I hit that bent the shaft....bit I did. That one made it home, although it made it's presence known.

I'll probably call them up. I am a gear fanatic, maybe he'll talk me into it.
What do you mean you knocked the resi off? As in your tire was rubbing it and pulled it off? Those should be mounted up out of the way most of the time. If your bumpstops aren't set correctly and the shock is being used as the bump that can bend the shaft. Shocks are a pretty worry free part besides rebuilding them when needed if you have them set up properly, shouldn't ever need to be concerned about breaking one besides a crash or something. And if you do break one, it's not like the Jeep's useless, pull two bolts, a few band clamps and keep moving with three shocks. Heck, I've driven on the street for probably a few hundred miles with just two fronts before, a little sketchy but certainly still driveable.

Definitely give him a call, he's a cool dude with a lot of experience

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

post #11 of 52 Old 07-20-2019, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Newtons3
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nope. Running the first of the Bilstein 5150's. Got a tree limb kicked up into the first one and probably the same for the second one. Not really a resilient design. Good in theory, not so much in application. if you look at them installed, the front reservoirs are hanging out exposed. The ones on the rear , being solidly mounted, are susceptible also. No rubbing on the suspension. No contact with the spring bucket even with the CV shaft and the axle rotated. The extended mounts on the G2 axle take care of that. Pretty good clearance on everything except the exhaust and that will be better next weekend.
post #12 of 52 Old 07-20-2019, 10:14 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Jerry B really likes the Rancho rs5000X. They're my next shock choice on one of my Jeeps very soon.
gsindela likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" BDS lift/ 33" DC extreme country MTs. JEEP #18
post #13 of 52 Old 07-21-2019, 06:47 AM
hokahay
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sporting Fox 2.0 here. I bought them from Gerald. She's a mall crawler but with the retail economy such as it is, the obstacles are getting tougher. I had some rancho 9000s but I think the adjustment thing is just a gimmick and the plastic adjustment knobs need attention. I never felt like I had them dialed in,

THe fox are cool. When I get some work done mechanics are like "wow man! Fox! nice.".

TLDR; I like my Foxes. And my shocks are outstanding as well.
post #14 of 52 Old 07-21-2019, 07:18 AM
Goatman#1

WARNING. OPINION ONLY!! If money is no problem then a custom tuned shock is definitely the way to go. The reason Fox and others cost so much is because of their ability to be built and rebuilt just the way you want them. If you don't want a custom tuned shock then why buy it in the first place? If your 2nd highest priority (1st being ride quality) is the ability to get a replacement throughout the country then the Rancho is clearly the winner. Even if Fox was on the shelf most kits that offer them have them tuned for that kit. While the Rancho will be consistent. Sort of like McDonald's. Except the Rancho is good. I had the OME shocks on my Jeep. It felt like an empty 1 ton on the road. I never had them offroad. The first thing I did when I got the Jeep home was order the Rancho 5000x. Vastly better.
post #15 of 52 Old 07-21-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Newtons3
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in