• 2 Post By Freeagent27
  • 1 Post By Shark_13
  • 1 Post By TheBoogieman
  • 1 Post By wadewen

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-14-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
JHenley01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Found rust inside TJ frame, should I be worried?

I was poking around my '99 TJ the other day and decided to stick my finger in the frame to check for rust, a decision I kind of regret now. I felt some bubbling so I decided to pick up one of those retriever magnets and start running it inside the frame. The image below is what I dug out of both sides around the transfer case skid plate, about 1/2 of a Solo cup full weighing about 10oz. This Jeep has been kept in the south all its life and has little to no rust anywhere else so I was surprised to find this much. After doing some investigating online it looks like this is a common issue due to lack of proper drainage holes from the factory.

I'm still pulling out small pieces occasionally but for the most part I'm just getting dust now when I probe with the magnet. The outside of the frame looks great, almost no rust at all. Sounds pretty solid when I smack it with a hammer, skid plate still seems to be bolted in solid as well. I've drilled some drain holes near the lower control arms and sprayed it out as best I can with a pressure washer. Should I just coat it real good with the Eastwood stuff and move on or do I have a bigger problem on my hands?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-14-2017, 09:34 PM
Freeagent27
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes...flush it, brush it out, and vacuum it out the best you can. Pick yourself up a couple cans of Eastwoods internal frame coating and go to town with it. The stuff is very thin and will run all over if you aren't careful. Park on top of a big tarp so it won't stain your driveway. I would also recommend buying 4 cans if you want to coat it twice. I taped up most of my side holes in the frame to prevent it from spraying out through them too.. Hit the insides of your torque boxes while your at it too 👍
JHenley01 and Shark_13 like this.

"My thoughts on yoga pants? Depends who I'm walking behind".
post #3 of 9 Old 08-14-2017, 10:16 PM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
If that's all you got out of it, no problem. Do as above, clean it well, compressed air & a shop vac. Make sure it's 100% dry, then use the Eastwood internal coating as mentioned above. finish the outside with chassis black & enjoy.
JHenley01 likes this.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-15-2017, 12:31 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you got that much rust out where you could reach it with a magnet, there's plenty more inside. I flushed mine out with the carwash pressure hose, coated it with Eastwood's internal frame rust encapsulator, and drilled two 1/4" holes on each side of the skid plate about 8" to the outside of the skid. This allows any water to easily drip out of the frame. Only you can tell how much metal is gone and how thin the frame is where it rusted out.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-int...z-aerosol.html
Attached Images

JHenley01 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I'd rather knock myself unconscious, cut a finger off, poke my eye out with a sharp stick or be forced to go back to work than install anything made by Rusty's.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ on 33s. #18
post #5 of 9 Old 08-15-2017, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
JHenley01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies, the Eastwood coating is on the way so hopefully I can get it sprayed this weekend. I bought a dental mirror and rigged up a light inside the frame, it doesn't look as bad as I thought. Most of the rust is over the skid plate and there is some running up to the front lower control arm bracket. The bottom is mostly covered and it runs maybe 1/2" up the sides, other than that it looks clean. There is almost no rust at the rear lower control arm bracket where you see a lot of them rust out, I'm guessing those Jeeps were parked on inclines a lot.

I just need to find a way to break up the rust that I couldn't reach with the flexible magnet tool, it's mostly around the nutserts for the skid plate and the outer walls. I've rigged up a 90 degree adapter and hose for my pressure washer that I can run through it. If that doesn't work I'm gonna build the drill cable thing the guy did here:

wranglerforum.com/f210/how-to-remove-rust-from-inside-the-frame-of-jeep-wrangler-1219793.html

Looks like I probably caught it in time, I just feel bad for all the people driving around in TJ's that have no idea their frame is rotting from the inside out.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-15-2017, 06:14 PM
wadewen

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...ating-3466274/

Here's a couple of links.
JHenley01 likes this.

His: 97 TJ Sport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FSM Link:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hers: 02 WJ Overland -

FSM Link (have to create login) -
post #7 of 9 Old 08-15-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
JHenley01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Duplicate post deleted.

Last edited by JHenley01; 08-15-2017 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Duplicate
post #8 of 9 Old 08-16-2017, 05:05 AM
Loukaps

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I would drill large drain holes one near each control arm mount. I went 7/8". I would go atleast 1/2" so mud and crap can easily be flushed out.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-02-2018, 05:31 PM
NDJeepman

I had a '97 with this issue. Unfortunately I didn't inspect close enough when I bought it. The dealer rhino-lined everything. Within 6 months the frame started to buckle. Admitted I was pulling a short trailer with a heavy motorcycle.

Tags
frame , rust , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in