5Likes
  • 4 Post By jay-h
  • 1 Post By 4Low2G0

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-27-2020, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Fogs to driving lights

Since the fog lights on most any car do nothing but blind the oncoming traffic I was curious if anyone has replaced their fog lights with driving lights? What I'd like to do is to find the wire that goes to the low beam circuit and switch it to the high beam circuit so the driving lights would come on with the high beams and go off with the lows. And switch that wire so the driving lights could be shut off and not used if not needed.
Thanks!

From the Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-27-2020, 03:13 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am assuming you have fog lights wired in along with the fog light switch & relay, correct?

If yes, the easiest way would be to run a new wire that taps into the white/light green low beam wire somewhere in the harness that runs along the left inner fender & run it over to & under the PDC. Then find the light green/white high beam wire going to the fog light relay. Cut that wire & connect your new wire to the end that goes to the relay.

That will cause the relay to now switch off when the low beams are on.

Be sure not to overload the circuit when you chose your driving lights. The factory fogs are 55 watts each & even that is a bit high for the circuit as in is not uncommon to have fog switch failures from maybe using the fogs too much. Search “my fog lights will not turn off” to get more info on that. Ideally you should use a 2nd relay or maybe go to low wattage LEDs.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-27-2020, 04:11 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyDog1 View Post
Since the fog lights on most any car do nothing but blind the oncoming traffic....
I would disagree with that. A true fog light , properly aimed has a very sharp upper cutoff very low to the ground. It throws less light at oncoming cars than a low beam. When driving in fog or snow, any stray light shining upwards blocks your vision and that cutoff makes all the difference.

Unfortunately many 'fog lights' are basically running lights because many people (and internet marketers) are unaware of how a true fog light works.
bonza, Ironhead, 4Low2G0 and 1 others like this.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster

post #4 of 12 Old 06-27-2020, 04:47 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
I would disagree with that. A true fog light , properly aimed has a very sharp upper cutoff very low to the ground. It throws less light at oncoming cars than a low beam. When driving in fog or snow, any stray light shining upwards blocks your vision and that cutoff makes all the difference.

Unfortunately many 'fog lights' are basically running lights because many people (and internet marketers) are unaware of how a true fog light works.
This is true, I prefer to run amber fog lamps, I believe they work better in snow and rain.

Dr. Internet likes this.

Whats over that next ridge?
post #5 of 12 Old 06-27-2020, 05:04 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Low2G0 View Post
This is true, I prefer to run amber fog lamps, I believe they work better in snow and rain.

Human eyes are most sensitive, and focus most sharply in the yellow range. Many skiers and sharpshooters prefer amber tinted lenses.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #6 of 12 Old 06-28-2020, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I would rather the driving lights over fogs for the mountains at night. I just want to use the LJ's existing wiring and not have to add an extra switch and relay. It's certainly doable I've done several in the past. I'll check out the wires under the hood and see if I find them.
Thanks

post #7 of 12 Old 06-29-2020, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
I am assuming you have fog lights wired in along with the fog light switch & relay, correct?

If yes, the easiest way would be to run a new wire that taps into the white/light green low beam wire somewhere in the harness that runs along the left inner fender & run it over to & under the PDC. Then find the light green/white high beam wire going to the fog light relay. Cut that wire & connect your new wire to the end that goes to the relay.

That will cause the relay to now switch off when the low beams are on.
[[/FONT]
Yes this is a factory setup. I think I found the wires you talk about in the harness that runs over the left fender well. Check out the photos. Are these the ones? Sorry not sure what you are connecting to what. Also sorry I'm terrible with acronyms, PDC?
Attached Thumbnails
20200629_142339.jpg   20200629_142346.jpg  

post #8 of 12 Old 06-29-2020, 05:55 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

PDC - Power Distribution Center. Itís the fuse and relay box under the hood.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-29-2020, 10:05 PM
logem

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced my factory fog lamps with Grote lamp housings PN 64231, then installed Hella Commercial duty H1 E-code housings PN 1B3 128 267-071 with Flosser 55W +50% H1 bulbs PN 3021890. As a European lamp, these also have a low wattage city lamp socket for which I'm using Flosser T4W halogen, 4W PN 4005.

The point of this is that these lamps were used on European sports cars as wide/low beam cornering lamps. They spread their beam low and very wide. Exactly what you want for a fog or auxiliary lamp which is not to be used as a high beam. I sometimes turn off my main head beams, and drive with only these low beams when I don't want to be obtrusive. Yet they provide ample lighting to drive a full speed if needed.

2001 Sahara, 5 Speed Manual with About $101K in upgrades.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-29-2020, 10:18 PM
RDBills
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Where did you find Grote 64231 housings? Grote lists them as obsolete

Mr. Bills
KG6LMV

'06 Jeep "LJ" Rubicon
post #11 of 12 Old 06-29-2020, 10:18 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

That appears to be the correct harness. I think there is only one harness running along the inner fender. And just for reference, in your photos the far left wire appears to be white with light green tracer & the one to the right of it appears to be light green with white tracer. I’m guessing there is another white with light green wire in the harness, hiding from view, right?

If this is correct there is one potential problem though. According to the FSM (not always accurate but must assume it is in this case) there are 2 white with light green tracer (stripe) wires in the harness & 1 light green with white tracer (stripe). You can verify this to be sure that is what you have in your harness. Why Jeep put 2 same color wires in the same harness is beyond me & realty should not happen. Then to have another with the 2 colors reversed is also bad practice. To make matters worse one of the white/light green wires is the left turn signal wire & the other is the low beam wire. So if you tap into the wrong one you would have the fogs turning on & off when you signal left. Rather than have you figure out which is the correct wire I think you should ignore my earlier instructions.

Instead, go to the right side headlight. Find the 3 wire connector plugging into it & the white with narrow light green stripe wire there (low beams). Be sure it is not the light green with narrow white stripe (high beams). Tap into that white/light green wire with a new 14 or 16 gauge wire & run it along the right inner fender to the PDC (relay/fuse box in front of the battery, as described by NashvilleTJ). Lift the PDC out of its bracket & flip it over to expose the wiring running under it. Find the light green/white wire that attaches to one of the fog light relay terminals & cut it 2 or 3 inches away from the terminal. Then butt connect your new wire to the short piece going to the relay terminal.

You should now have power to the fog lights only when the low beams are on.

You will have to be able to splice one wire into another at the headlight & to butt connect 2 wires at the relay in order to do this mod. Probably best to search you tube to see it done rather than try to verbally explain it.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-30-2020, 10:36 AM
logem

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBills View Post
Where did you find Grote 64231 housings? Grote lists them as obsolete
Edited . .

After a look at the Grote catalog, I see that the 64231 is a complete Par 46 housing and lamp assembly with a chrome plated brass housing; it is discontinued. But Grote still makes a 64021 Par 46 chrome plated steel housing and it is available on Amazon.

The part number for a plain steel housing is 64011.

2001 Sahara, 5 Speed Manual with About $101K in upgrades.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in