First time lift kit... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-26-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
hajbagary91
2001 TJ Wrangler 

First time lift kit...

I have a 2001 jeep wrangler tj. I have 2 inch wheel spacers and im about to upgrade to 35inch tires. I have rear smitty built fender flares and xeon front flares. Can anyone reconmend a lift kit? I was going to go with a 4inch sky jacker lift.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-26-2016, 09:42 PM
rda616

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You need a lot more than just a lift kit to run 35" tires safely and reliability. That would not be a kit I would use or suggest.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-27-2016, 12:47 AM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajbagary91 View Post
I have a 2001 jeep wrangler tj. I have 2 inch wheel spacers and im about to upgrade to 35inch tires. I have rear smitty built fender flares and xeon front flares. Can anyone reconmend a lift kit? I was going to go with a 4inch sky jacker lift.
Do you have at least $5,000 to start this effort?

Do a search on "I want to install 35" tires on my TJ"...

post #4 of 13 Old 01-27-2016, 01:39 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Can anyone reconmend a lift kit? I was going to go with a 4inch sky jacker lift.
Since you didn't ask for a lecture on how to "do it right" or member's opinions, the Zone 4.25" combo lift is a much better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #5 of 13 Old 01-27-2016, 06:18 AM
MarkC73

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post

Knucklehead is spot on here.
OP, you need to look at your Jeep and determine what the main focus on its use will be (DD, Mall Crawler, Light Wheeler, Krawler, Hardcore, etc). If you do a bit more research, you`ll see why most forum members answer your question nearly the same way.
The goal of putting 35`s under it is an expensive one for sure.
I spent 2.5 years saving and collecting parts, then spent 14 months putting it all together and I still have a few pieces left to add to get it the way I want it to be.
35`s can be done for sure, but understand that you are essentially opening Pandora`s Box.
The lift and tires are not the only pieces to this puzzle, to properly run that sized tire.

03 TJ Under Construction
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #70
post #6 of 13 Old 01-27-2016, 06:48 AM
hopeari22

I have a 4 inch skyjacker lift kit and can run 35's on a 98 tj

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 13 Old 01-27-2016, 03:07 PM
98TJSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeari22 View Post
I have a 4 inch skyjacker lift kit and can run 35's on a 98 tj

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

just cause you have done it dosent make it the proper way..

i ran 35's on a my last tj with 3 inch lift .. with stock gear stock D35 STOCK 4 banger 5 speed.. it was fine.. drove fine highway wasnt an option tho.. but regardless dosent make it right way to do it, just it *worked*

in the end it got 4:88's chromoly shafts and 33's but it was still a 4 banger and then frame let out i stripped ti kept axles for when i do my current jeep later this year, since they are already geared and i got another 4 banger ... lol

X2 on the Zone lift, in the end you probably still have if not more clearance unless you do a DC Shaft and SYE rather then TCASE drop for the 4 inch suspension lift ..

then regearing, unless all you do is crawl the malls, highway aint gonna be to fun.

many things to consider, but also need to consider its primary function..

and pics or it never happened comments lol : here it is:

post #8 of 13 Old 01-27-2016, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
hajbagary91
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
You need a lot more than just a lift kit to run 35" tires safely and reliability. That would not be a kit I would use or suggest.
If you dont mind me asking which 4inch kit would you recommend ? First time owner lol... keep in mind i dont go off roading its mostly for looks, and im trying to save $$$...
post #9 of 13 Old 01-27-2016, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
hajbagary91
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post

dude i went to that site that you told me to go to and i learned so much about that process that i think im going to go with 33s.... Dam... !! I dont do any off roading at least not yet anyways lol... but if i just drive around town and back and forth to work you dont think i would be fine ?
post #10 of 13 Old 01-27-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
hajbagary91
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TJSE View Post
just cause you have done it dosent make it the proper way..

i ran 35's on a my last tj with 3 inch lift .. with stock gear stock D35 STOCK 4 banger 5 speed.. it was fine.. drove fine highway wasnt an option tho.. but regardless dosent make it right way to do it, just it *worked*

in the end it got 4:88's chromoly shafts and 33's but it was still a 4 banger and then frame let out i stripped ti kept axles for when i do my current jeep later this year, since they are already geared and i got another 4 banger ... lol

X2 on the Zone lift, in the end you probably still have if not more clearance unless you do a DC Shaft and SYE rather then TCASE drop for the 4 inch suspension lift ..

then regearing, unless all you do is crawl the malls, highway aint gonna be to fun.

many things to consider, but also need to consider its primary function..

and pics or it never happened comments lol : here it is:

What did you mean by highway wasnt an option thou ??? I have to travel on a highway 4 times a week to get my daughter. I dont do any off roading. not yet anyway lol but you think 35s with 4 inch lift would be okay? eventually i would get gears done.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-27-2016, 09:06 PM
bowhunter720

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What did you mean by highway wasnt an option thou ??? I have to travel on a highway 4 times a week to get my daughter. I dont do any off roading. not yet anyway lol but you think 35s with 4 inch lift would be okay? eventually i would get gears done.
He means highway wasn't an option because with the set-up he had he couldn't use 5th gear, and 4th gear was probably a struggle.

Years ago as a kid I ran a 4.0L YJ with 33's and 3.07's and a cheapo lift. Did not function well at all. I was lucky to go 65mph downhill with the wind in 5th gear, and 4th gear had the RPM's pretty dam high.

Its not a question of IF you'll be able to run 35's with a 4" lift and nothing else. It's more about its affect on your Jeep as a whole. It will kill your mileage, your speed, your handling and not to mention your D35 (another issue for another day).
post #12 of 13 Old 01-28-2016, 12:28 AM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
dude i went to that site that you told me to go to and i learned so much about that process that i think im going to go with 33s.... Dam... !! I dont do any off roading at least not yet anyways lol... but if i just drive around town and back and forth to work you dont think i would be fine ?
Good for you with reading and starting to understand what is needed to properly do this effort and what efforts it takes to upgrade your Jeep.

Now that you've found the proper information, only you can decide what will work for you.

Good luck with your decisions.

Now go fill-in the rest of your profile and welcome to the forum...
post #13 of 13 Old 01-28-2016, 11:11 AM
rda616

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The zone 4.25" kit with 33" tires is a good starting point for a build on a budget.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in