First post / Tire size question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-30-2015, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
YZkid

First post / Tire size question

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum, long time lurker, I have learned alot from this forum already and look forward to becoming a contributing member. I am somwhat new to the jeep world and appreciate any information you guys give me. I am not very tech savy so bare with me

I have a 2006 TJ, no lift. I currently am running 31x10.5 on 15x8 aftermarket wheels with 3.75 backspaing. I recentlly had a little accident and got to replace all my fenders to the bushwhacker flat fender flares that apparently add 2.75 inches of clearence with some of the insurence money. I only do light offroading currently.

My question is can i fit a 32x11.5 or a 33x10.5 on my set up? I would not mind some moderate trimming if need be but dont have the money to dump into the jeep right now for anything besides tires.

What is more of the problem the height or width trying to fit bigger tires on a non lifted wrangler?

Thanks everyone in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-30-2015, 06:46 AM
mike_dippert
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
The outer corner of the tire hits either the plastic flare or the metal fender. I depends if that corner can tuck up into the pocket of the flare or not. If your sheet metal fender hasn't been trimmed/raised, there's not much to be gained. I would stick with the 31x10.5 and enjoy the ride.

High clearance skid plates will do more for you than bigger tires.

post #3 of 8 Old 04-30-2015, 06:49 AM
JBTJ

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would be more concerned about your gear ratio to be able to turn those larger tires with out causing too much strain on the engine.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-30-2015, 08:42 AM
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would stick with the 31s until you lift it. What would be the purpose of say 32s or 33s if you cant even turn the steering wheel all the way without rubbing? Offroad you will be extremely limited and you will have no room for axle articulation unless you don't mind your tire going through your fenders. Gas mileage will also plummet. I don't see any benefit, lift it first.

My Build Thread

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stubby-02-tj-build-thread-dd-2523578/
post #5 of 8 Old 04-30-2015, 10:29 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

32x11.50s would fit fine for street only use or you could simply add a 1.25" BL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-30-2015, 11:49 AM
Leffnasty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman
32x11.50s would fit fine for street only use or you could simply add a 1.25" BL.
For your uses I would agree with Boggieman. You would most definitely want to get bumpstop extensions however - if not, you hit too big a bump and you'll be breaking your fenders.

Honestly I would just keep the 31" and have fun.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-30-2015, 12:09 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffnasty View Post
For your uses I would agree with Boggieman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-30-2015, 01:27 PM
tyvanwie

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I'd go with a body lift as well, or a budget boost if you aren't a fan of body lifts to run 32s. Will you have serious problems on the stock suspension and 32s? No. Will you rub slightly? Most likely.

Gas mileage will drop wether you run a lift or not with the bigger tires, so that's not a worthwhile point.

My vote is 31s and stock suspension, or 32s and a body lift.

Tags
fenders , flat , lift , tire , wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in