Factory sub replacement - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stickers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-28-2020, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
budro69
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Factory sub replacement

Is replacing the factory subwoofer worth the cost and energy to replace? I have a Kicker comp box and amp I was thinking of installing behind the rear seat and just unhooking the old sub but thought I would see what everyone else thought first. I am also going to replace the factory head unit and was looking for suggestions. As of right now I'm leaning towards the Alpine CDE-172-BT.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-05-2020, 10:06 AM
Stickers
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Hey,
I installed the Kicker CompRT 43CWRT672 in the factory box with factory wiring and factory sub amp with an aftermarket head unit. With a few mods in the box (removing some plastic for mounting) and it’s awesome and easy. This thing kicks.
Quadratec also sells a factory style woofer upgrade that mounts right in.

I wanted to retain the stock locations because I didn’t want a big box hanging around in the cab/“trunk” area. I’m already pressed for space back there.
JeepingNet likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-05-2020, 09:31 PM
logem

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I also installed a Kicker 43CWRT672 in the factory box, but have bypassed the factory amp and am using a Kicker 42PXA2001 150W mono amp to drive it with an Alpine UTE-62BT head unit. I figured that I don't need the CD option anymore. My gripes with the UTE-62BT are the very small channel selector buttons and the small size of font for the time display. With aging eyes, I can't read any of the buttons or see the time while in the driver's seat.

I'd always thought the factory sub had its own amp built into it and that it receives its signal from a combined right/left front output from the radio. I'd think you'd get better dedicated and controllable bass by using your Alpine sub-out signal with a small mono-amp like the Kicker, above.

Mike

2001 Sahara, 5 Speed Manual with About $101K in upgrades.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-11-2020, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
budro69
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies! I will definitely look into the Kicker option. My wife says I'm too old for a big booming box so I think this just might be the perfect solution.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-12-2020, 01:08 PM
Bayou

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Since you got your answer from your original question, I thought I might continue this thread with a similar inquiry. My 2002 X came with a simple 2-cup holder center console. I added a full console with sub for my specific year/model. My need or want was really just to get the armrest but I have considered using the factory sub. I do have the "premium" radio/cd head unit as a factory option in 2002. I was not aware until reading the previous posts that there is also a factory sub.
Question: has anyone utilized the factory sub on a TJ that came without one? Do I need to check the back of my radio? Do I need to buy a Jeep factory amp? I like keeping most things stock looking in case someone suggests aftermarket. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in