Extreme short sye recalibrating speedometer?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-29-2009, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
jeep2008

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Extreme short sye recalibrating speedometer??

I'v installed teraflex's es sye and now i have an electrronic speedometer whereas before i had a speedo gear.To fix my speedometer i have to buy,according to teraflex,Part# BLD33002 which is a calibration box and i believe costs too much.Right now i'm at about 10% off,more than the gps shows.Since i have the 42RLE trans i also believe that the shifting points are changed.What other options do i have??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-29-2009, 05:23 PM
BlueFlame

2003 TJ Wrangler 

(Your speedo was electronic before, it's still electronic. )
No other option.
Lots of calibration boxes out there, I know Dakota Digital sells one you can usually find for around $60. Check Summit or Jeg's etc

Dakota also sells tach signal adapters for engine swaps..

http://www.phoenixtuning.com/zenstor...FR4Eagod-gqfmQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 19 Old 12-29-2009, 06:06 PM
ImaginaryFriend

2001 TJ Wrangler 

My Dakota Digital SGI-5 works great with my JB Conversions Super-Short SYE. It's around $60 at Summit.

They have also updated the SGI-5 with new software and the past occasional speedo bumping issue is fixed. I sent mine in for a free flash update. Works flawlessly now.

post #4 of 19 Old 12-29-2009, 06:24 PM
dendrophobe

2005 TJ Wrangler 

You could always take the Jeep in to the dealership for them to flash it for you, but... If you ever change gearing or tire size again, you'll have to pay more to redo it. With a kit like the SGI-5, buy it once, adjust it as many times as you need.

2005 TJ Sport, Light Khaki Metallic
RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25 BL, JKS 1 BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
post #5 of 19 Old 12-30-2009, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
jeep2008

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
(Your speedo was electronic before, it's still electronic. )
No other option.
Lots of calibration boxes out there, I know Dakota Digital sells one you can usually find for around $60. Check Summit or Jeg's etc

Dakota also sells tach signal adapters for engine swaps..

Speed/Tach Interface : Phoenix Tuning
No,before i was using a speedo gear now i have a devise that calculate pulses or something like that to sent them to the speedometer/odometer.

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
post #6 of 19 Old 12-30-2009, 02:36 AM
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

Tru-speed by Superlift is what I put in my TJ. Other than a electronic control box not really any other way to fix it. Took a bit of driving around with a GPS and passenger with screwdriver to dial it in. Mine is behind the glove box.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-30-2009, 02:56 AM
khill8469
2005 TJ Wrangler 

how about a super chip would that work?
post #8 of 19 Old 12-30-2009, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
jeep2008

2004 TJ Wrangler 

As far as i understand it,this is what teraflex suggests i get TeraFlex 004490402 - TeraFlex Computers, Chips & Programmers - Overview - SummitRacing.com ,quadratec can get it for me for 167$....

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
post #9 of 19 Old 12-30-2009, 04:40 AM
vector6
2001 TJ Wrangler 

dakota digital in my 2001 for almost 2 years... with my JB conversions SS SYE..

ive had not a single problem with the unit.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-30-2009, 05:53 AM
WI03Wrang

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same terraflex set up you do. Go with the Tru-speed. Works great, easy install and calibration. You will net your cost on the first speeding ticket you Don't get.
post #11 of 19 Old 12-30-2009, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
jeep2008

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI03Wrang View Post
I have the same terraflex set up you do. Go with the Tru-speed. Works great, easy install and calibration. You will net your cost on the first speeding ticket you Don't get.
Well it seems that the one teraflex uses IS the Tru-speed from SuperLift ,so i hope the 167$ quadratec quoted me are ok!!

This an email i got from TERAFLEX's customer service:

Hello. The Tru Speed unit hard wires into your existing wire loom. Utilizing the speed sensor wire, 5 volt power, and a ground wire. It comes with enough wire to mount the module in the engine compartment or under dash. The module has 2 adjusting dials that allow you to calibrate the tire diameter to axle gear ratio. You can calibrate 2 different tire sizes, and switch the unit for either size. Its made by Super lift, it runs $206.99. I only have 2 left on my shelf. Thanks

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
post #12 of 19 Old 12-30-2009, 01:38 PM
BlueFlame

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2008 View Post
No,before i was using a speedo gear now i have a devise that calculate pulses or something like that to sent them to the speedometer/odometer.
Yes. The speedo is electronic. Was before, still is.
(Note: that means it has wires coming to it from a signal generator, as opposed to an old school speedo cable.)
Before, your speedo gear drove a pulse generator (that was the thing attached to the trans with the wires coming out of it running up to the dash.) Now, the pulse generator is built into the SYE unit. The only difference is you no longer have a speedo gear to swap out.

|
|
post #13 of 19 Old 12-30-2009, 03:52 PM
ImaginaryFriend

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'd get the Dakota Digital SGI-5 for $60 and pocket the difference.

It's a universal box, so it takes a little more time to set up, but the others are $100+ more. That's worth a few minutes of set-up IMHO.
post #14 of 19 Old 12-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2008 View Post
and the speedo gear does nothing but allow mechanical rotation to be converted to an electronic signal. now you've got a tone ring, so it does the same thing, just a different method. the speedometer itself is electronic regardless of how it measures speed of the output shaft.

you can use an electronic calibration tool with the speedo gear, but its just not cost effective when new a gear is cheap and easy. with a tone ring you must use an electronic calibration tool.

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #15 of 19 Old 12-30-2009, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
jeep2008

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Right now also i believe that my 42RLE is upshifting earlier than before the change from 3.73 to 4.56.Is this due to the gears or the wrong speedometer?

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in