Exogate tire carrier with Body Armor - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 03-27-2020, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Exogate tire carrier with Body Armor

So I am looking at moving up to 35s and want to replace the factory tire carrier. The Exogate seems like the highest recommended tire carrier out there.

I have the Metalcloak body armor on my jeep, which would conflict with the mounting brackets for the Exogate.

My thoughts would be to just cut some 1/4 spacers out of some steel plate to fill the gap between the body and body armor. Would that suffice, or would I need to weld it to the body armor to reinforce it to prevent the body from bending. I would plan on drilling through the Exogate mount to have the body armor bolt go through the Exogate mount as well. You can see that bolt in the attached picture of my jeep.

Also, I would assume I should use a spacer between the Exogate hinge and the Exogate mount that bolts to the tailgate section.

Just trying to get my project planned out while I have all this downtime...

Thanks for any help.

Exogate link with pictures of how it mounts.
https://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/.../tj-lj-exogate

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2005 TJ X: MC 3.5" lift, 33"x12.5" tires, 1.25" Zone body lift, Curry Antirock sway bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-27-2020, 11:18 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGrugger View Post
So I am looking at moving up to 35s and want to replace the factory tire carrier. The Exogate seems like the highest recommended tire carrier out there.
From who?

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/r.../#post40914137

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #3 of 20 Old 03-27-2020, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I have seen Jerry recommend it, and other than that, I have seen many others on here, Wrangler forum, and a local forum state that they have no complaints with them, and they handle 35s with no issues.

I know I have seen you state that you havent had any issues with the stock carrier and 35s.

2005 TJ X: MC 3.5" lift, 33"x12.5" tires, 1.25" Zone body lift, Curry Antirock sway bar.

post #4 of 20 Old 03-27-2020, 11:50 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I don't believe welding the plates to the existing armour would be necessary so long as the plates are the same thickness and the Exogate's body mount plate fits tightly up against the armour. You are correct in your thought that equal thickness spacers would also be required between the tailgate's bracket and hinges.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #5 of 20 Old 03-27-2020, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
I don't believe welding the plates to the existing armour would be necessary so long as the plates are the same thickness and the Exogate's body mount plate fits tightly up against the armour. You are correct in your thought that equal thickness spacers would also be required between the tailgate's bracket and hinges.

Thanks for the insights.

I will go ahead and order it, and see if I can get it before NC shuts down...

post #6 of 20 Old 03-27-2020, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post

Thanks for the insights.

I will go ahead and order it, and see if I can get it before NC shuts down...

post #7 of 20 Old 03-27-2020, 11:05 PM
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
It looks like your corners are cut out around your hinges, if so you may need to make two filler pieces for them and a filler to for the tailgate also. I know I just installed this on my 05 with Genright corners, the difference is the Genrights do not cut out around the hinges they use spacers for the tailgate itself. I ended up getting a piece of alum and used the tailgate frame part as a template and cut out the alum and use it as a spacer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5783.jpg   IMG_5793.jpg   IMG_5819.jpg  
Attached Images

I can quit drinking anytime I want, but hey I'm no quitter :)

White Jeep Club #224
post #8 of 20 Old 03-28-2020, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber1 View Post
It looks like your corners are cut out around your hinges, if so you may need to make two filler pieces for them and a filler to for the tailgate also. I know I just installed this on my 05 with Genright corners, the difference is the Genrights do not cut out around the hinges they use spacers for the tailgate itself. I ended up getting a piece of alum and used the tailgate frame part as a template and cut out the alum and use it as a spacer.
Yeah, the corners are cut out around the hinges. So looks like just putting spacers in will work. Thanks.

post #9 of 20 Old 04-15-2020, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

So I went ahead and purchased the hinge kit.

While fabricating the spacers, I found that MC body armor is not quite 1/4in thick, maybe a military thinner, but I figure it is close enough.

I locked up where the hinge plate will be located and ran into an issue I was hoping to avoid. The hinge plate will be over a portion of my taillight mounting ring and two of the three bolts that hold it in.

The taillight sits all but flush with the body, so I figure I will remove the two bolts, put a little bit of gasket sealer on the ring and let the mounting plate hold the taillight in.

As for the bolts for the body armor, I plan on drilling holes into the mounting bracket and running them through both the body armor and bracket. Mostly for piece of mind.

Any thoughts on my plan? Below are pictures of location where the bracket will go, with and without the bracket mocked up.

post #10 of 20 Old 04-15-2020, 09:36 AM
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I would trim the plate to go around the light, also since you are making a plate to fill in you will need to make one for the tailgate so it sit the same distance out

I can quit drinking anytime I want, but hey I'm no quitter :)

White Jeep Club #224
post #11 of 20 Old 04-15-2020, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber1 View Post
I would trim the plate to go around the light, also since you are making a plate to fill in you will need to make one for the tailgate so it sit the same distance out
Yeah, I was debating triming the plate, but with it being powder coated and only having a angle grinder, I was hoping to avoid that.

Maybe I will place it over the light for now, and once the world reopens hit up a buddies house to have him help me nearly make the trim.

I did Fab some spacers for the tailgate, thanks for looking out!

post #12 of 20 Old 04-17-2020, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I ended up deciding to cut out around the light. It came out alright... All I had here to do it was an angle grinder, and no real experience.

Going to have to pull the hinges off to install the tailgate. my tailgate has the floating bracket for the hinge, and I just can't get it to line up when it is on the jeep.

post #13 of 20 Old 04-18-2020, 08:42 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Much better.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 20 Old 04-20-2020, 01:00 PM
SHoppe715
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Say what you will about Rusty’s, but I think their tailgate tire carrier is extremely well made. I have the Mopar steel corners and didn’t need to trim anything. It’ll also stay on when I swap axles because it has other bolt patterns on the adjustable mount.
Attached Thumbnails
5B2527C1-C25E-4C93-B8B1-2A571FA74557_1587409179409.jpg  
07wurubi likes this.

Google search images for "Alaska Jeep"...mine's the brown one on snow tracks.
Check out
and check out the "Alaska Tracks-pedition".
post #15 of 20 Old 04-20-2020, 03:37 PM
07wurubi
2006 LJ Rubicon

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHoppe715 View Post
Say what you will about Rustyís, but I think their tailgate tire carrier is extremely well made. I have the Mopar steel corners and didnít need to trim anything. Itíll also stay on when I swap axles because it has other bolt patterns on the adjustable mount.

I went with the Rusty setup as well. It was a tight fit around my Savvy tail light on passenger side, unlike a stock light.
Attached Thumbnails
20190420_174035.jpg  

Mike Fox

My Jeep:
06 Wrangler LJ Rubicon
work in progress.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in