Exhaust... Can anything else be modded? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
JAndrou
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Exhaust... Can anything else be modded?

Mechanic:"Well, seems like you got a cat back magnaflow with a 2 and a half inch pipe" *Deep southern Alabama accent*

Me:"Yea"

Mechanic:"Well seems like you got two cats up on the headers and they have sensors. I don't want to touch that header because if I tamper with those two cats, thats pretty much illegal and I'm sure you don't want to pay a fine."

Me:"Yea, damn" *I take a drag out of my cig*

Mechanic:"If you want I can remove the other cat that is by the cat back exhaust and that could possibly make your exhaust louder"

So... for 80 bucks this guy want to take out my cat a put a straight pipe. Is that a good idea?...as far as the law goes...

All I want is a meaner sound.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Barcus

2000 XJ Cherokee 

just get another muffler, dont mess with your cats. messing with cats is illegal and could open up a can of worms emissions wise and throw codes.

98 TJ Currie arms-RC 2.5 coils-RC 2.0 shocks-1.25 BL-TF rear track bar-custom bumpstops-mud-scratches-gas.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 01:02 PM
rchase559

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Even removing that cat from the exhaust is illegal.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndrou View Post
All I want is a meaner sound.
Jeep 4.0L's don't sound like mean V8's...they have more in common with a tractor motor, and as such they sound like one.

if you want it to be loud, cut the muffler off and weld a straight pipe in it's place.

it will sound like a tractor, or kinda like this hippo:

you'll think it will sound good for a few months, then pretty soon the drone noise of the highway will get terribly annoying and you'll want to put the muffler back on and make it quiet.

besides, there is nothing more annoying than waking up at 6am on a camping trip to a secluded scenic spot, to the roar of some asshat with a straight piped motor.

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #5 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 06:04 PM
frenchy206

2003 TJ Wrangler 

You won't get a code by taking off the cat, as there are no sensors after the cat. The 2 pre cats, on the exhaust mani, do have sensors. You will get a code if you remove those. You might get slightly better mpg by removing the last cat. Your exhaust noise will be slightly louder without a cat. I know this by experience on my 03 tj 4.0.

A straight pipe will be obnoxious after a while. I put on a "Thrush Welded". It sounds deep like a diesel. Doesn't drone on freeway. Cost me $20 at 4 wheel parts.

03 TJ Rubicon
post #6 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
JAndrou
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Meh, I was wanting to put on some aftermarket headers. Ends up I'll be paying $700 for the installation and equipment.

But sir, I do have to argue that the 4.0 doesn't at all sound like that hippo. That hippo sounds like a flow master on a honda civic
post #7 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 06:40 PM
TroubleNEO

2006 LJ Wrangler 

You basically have headers already with that year, it's not like the older style. I have the skidplate cat chopped out and a Flowmaster Super 40 on it. Sounds mean without being obnoxious.

Looking for: 03-06 interior plastic trim. PM me.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 07:05 PM
MikalCarbine
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

it will sound like a tractor, or kinda like this hippo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSKQ3ZNQ_O8
LOL I nearly died
post #9 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndrou View Post
Meh, I was wanting to put on some aftermarket headers. Ends up I'll be paying $700 for the installation and equipment.
all aftermarket headers for your Jeep are shorty and retain the two pre-cats.

the pre-cats and main cat are all on the downpipe...it's all one piece. they have nothing to do with what connects to the head, whether that be aftermarket headers or the stock 2-piece cast manifolds.

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #10 of 11 Old 10-19-2012, 08:41 AM
TroubleNEO

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Pick yourself up a muffler of your choosing, and have the shop weld it in where the cat in the skidplate is, or anywhere else really. My muffler is right after my skidplate.

If you pay over like $150 to have the work done with your own muffler you're getting screwed. I had my exhaust chopped out and rebent from the downpipe elbow bend that sends it towards the rear, all the way to the tail pipe for like $120.

Looking for: 03-06 interior plastic trim. PM me.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-20-2012, 02:06 AM
MR_GRU
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Plus a loud muffler makes it harder to sneak up on wild game like deer, coyotes, bear, and hippos while poaching. (I'm sorry somebody should put that hippo down or give it a beano or something).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in