Evap leak codes and bad gas mileage - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Figgy

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Evap leak codes and bad gas mileage

Hey where do I start ? Jeep is a 04 LJ Iím the original owner . I havenít driven it much in the last 6 years . Where do I start .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 10:21 AM
JustChillin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

how bad is your gas mileage?
post #3 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Figgy

2004 LJ Wrangler 

10 mpg or less

post #4 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 12:42 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

For the evap codes, start by checking for a leaking fuel cap seal and check your evap lines and connections at the fuel tank, charcoal cannister/LDP, and intake manifold.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #5 of 18 Old 07-12-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Figgy

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I think I found my issue and itís expensive for just a pice of plastic !
What does this thing do ?
Attached Thumbnails
FE618162-827B-42B1-B660-BFFD36AF6737.jpg   26298CFE-D87C-4D39-B4C6-679D317086EE.jpg   7BC681E4-E6BE-4D6E-BEFB-5B16820892D1.jpg  
post #6 of 18 Old 07-12-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Figgy

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Flow control valve ,can that broken line cause issues when I fill up the tank? Or loose gasoline because venting into the atmosphere.

Last edited by Figgy; 07-12-2019 at 09:34 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-17-2019, 02:27 PM
moemuledeer

2005 LJ Wrangler 

A couple days after reading your post I got a code again PO456 Evap system small leak. I had this code before so thatís where I started. The hose going down from the front Evap valve to the frame is connected with a rubber hose. It cracked on the lower end where it connected to the metal tube at the bump of the metal tube. The first time I just trimmed the rubber hose and that solved the leak. This time the hose was to short and fairly hard. This connection is on the left side at the front of the skid plate. You can see the bump in the new hose installed from the metal tube and the cracks on the old hose.
Attached Images

post #8 of 18 Old 07-17-2019, 02:54 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

@Figgy
Sorry, missed your question earlier. The flow management valve is part of your evaporative emissions system. It meters the vapour to the EVAP cannister during fueling and normal engine operation, and serves as a liquid separator to keep fuel out of the cannister. You need it to have your evap system work correctly.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #9 of 18 Old 07-18-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Figgy

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you for the info
post #10 of 18 Old 07-18-2019, 06:58 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Evap codes and mileage are most likely not related unless there is maybe a very major vacuum leak associated with it. And I mean major. If you have not driven it much in 6 years you may have varnish issues and gum in your fuel system and even traces or amounts of very degraded fuel.

Give it lots of fresh fuel. Use a fuel system cleaner that contains techron. It can be branded by OEMs or even by chevron. Pretty good stuff. It may or may not help you. Old nasty fuel is evil though. It gums stuff up. If it turned to varnish there may be a lot of work involved like pulling fuel tank to clean, etc.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-18-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Figgy

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I actually use rec fuel for about half my fuel usage in the the last 5 years . The engine runs great no hesitation no miss fires . I have a major evap leak . I believe Iím just having some fuel evaporating .
post #12 of 18 Old 07-19-2019, 07:23 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I will post one paranoid thing here. DO NOT get tempted to test your evap system with shop or compressed air.

Here is why. Fuel tanks naturally displace ambient air or oxygen in plain terms by the fuel vapors always pushing air outward. The vapors pushing out do not allow for outside air, thus oxygen in high enough concentrations to enter the tank. Fuel pumps and senders inside of tanks are electrical and make sparks. Combustion needs three things. Fuel, Oxygen and an ignition or spark. A normal fuel tank lacks the oxygen, thus why normal fuel pump operation does not make cars explode. I once saw a video of a fuel pump inside a tank that showed how much sparking the fuel pump brushes produced. It made my butt pucker.

There are a lot of DIY evap testing methods on youtube and the net in general. Many are dangerous. Be careful. This is the reason that professional EVAP machines use a tank of nitrogen. Other inert gases can work also.

Not sure if you were going to go in this direction, but don't.

If you really have a HUGE evap leak, many of them can be found visually.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-20-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Figgy

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
I will post one paranoid thing here. DO NOT get tempted to test your evap system with shop or compressed air.

Here is why. Fuel tanks naturally displace ambient air or oxygen in plain terms by the fuel vapors always pushing air outward. The vapors pushing out do not allow for outside air, thus oxygen in high enough concentrations to enter the tank. Fuel pumps and senders inside of tanks are electrical and make sparks. Combustion needs three things. Fuel, Oxygen and an ignition or spark. A normal fuel tank lacks the oxygen, thus why normal fuel pump operation does not make cars explode. I once saw a video of a fuel pump inside a tank that showed how much sparking the fuel pump brushes produced. It made my butt pucker.

There are a lot of DIY evap testing methods on youtube and the net in general. Many are dangerous. Be careful. This is the reason that professional EVAP machines use a tank of nitrogen. Other inert gases can work also.

Not sure if you were going to go in this direction, but don't.

If you really have a HUGE evap leak, many of them can be found visually.

Oh I wasnít going to do that. I live in Florida I donít have emission testing I just hate the CEL on the dash . I found my leak Itís in the pic up there .
post #14 of 18 Old 07-22-2019, 06:54 PM
moemuledeer

2005 LJ Wrangler 

After I replaced the damaged hose it took three days for the engine light to go out on itís own.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-22-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Figgy

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Iím still waiting for the new hoses .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in