Essential Modifications for Jeeping - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 Old 04-29-2014, 02:12 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanav8r View Post
Adjustable, beefy, control arms. Don't do anything to your suspension or driveline until these are installed.
I would say rear axle would be priority as far things that could break. If you have a Dana 35 and wanting to hit harder trials with larger tires the axle needs to be addressed (if Dana 35) before control arms. I worry more about body armor and up grading the steering.

01 TJ,33X12.5Flaken WP ATs,Winch, ARBs F&R, belly up, some armor,4.0,5spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 Old 04-29-2014, 07:10 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The first thing I would get is an Original Equipment Manufacture (OEM) Factory Service Manual (FSM). That will be the best money you'll ever spend on your Jeep... IMO

Gone but not forgotten.
post #18 of 27 Old 04-29-2014, 07:41 PM
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
The first thing I would get is an Original Equipment Manufacture (OEM) Factory Service Manual (FSM). That will be the best money you'll ever spend on your Jeep... IMO
Is that a modification, accessory, or supplement?

Nevertheless a good point.

EDIT: A collection of stuff I have collected. I wish I had more than Chilton's and a pdf of the FSM for my 05...

Colorado Jeep Club Member #667

post #19 of 27 Old 04-29-2014, 09:41 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnmadn88 View Post
Depending on your interpretation, its all of the above...

Gone but not forgotten.
post #20 of 27 Old 04-29-2014, 09:59 PM
aschaefer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnmadn88 View Post

Nevertheless a good point.

EDIT: A collection of stuff I have collected. I wish I had more than Chilton's and a pdf of the FSM for my 05...

Is there a source I could get the PDF of the FSM from? I can think of many other things that the money I would spend on ebay should go to other than a FSM for my TJ, haha.
post #21 of 27 Old 04-29-2014, 10:09 PM
geroux
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschaefer View Post
Is there a source I could get the PDF of the FSM from? I can think of many other things that the money I would spend on ebay should go to other than a FSM for my TJ, haha.
If I recall, the hard copy three volume FSM I bought for my '04 before I even took delivery of it wasn't that much. Best investment I made. Don't waste any money on Chiltons or Haynes crap.
post #22 of 27 Old 04-29-2014, 10:18 PM
aschaefer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroux View Post
If I recall, the hard copy three volume FSM I bought for my '04 before I even took delivery of it wasn't that much. Best investment I made. Don't waste any money on Chiltons or Haynes crap.
Good advice. I'll keep my eye out on ebay and Amazon.
post #23 of 27 Old 04-30-2014, 09:13 AM
NalinMFG

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The first thing I always upgrade is the dash speakers to 5.25"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linkedin:

Email:

Facebook:
post #24 of 27 Old 04-30-2014, 05:56 PM
A_Aulbach
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Recovery gear is probably the smartest thing to purchase first. Even if it is just a tow hook and strap. You should never off road alone, but if you have to being able to get yourself unstuck is a huge plus.
post #25 of 27 Old 04-30-2014, 06:09 PM
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There will be lots of modifications to your body from extra beer consumption. There will also be a lot of four letter words added to your vocabulary. These are especially true if you do your own work.

In all seriousness, I would put on a sturdy engine skid and transmission skid, and go wheeling. You will figure out everything else you want and/or need based of your terrain.

It's not an addiction. It's a way of life.
post #26 of 27 Old 04-30-2014, 06:53 PM
robncar

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NalinMFG View Post
The first thing I always upgrade is the dash speakers to 5.25"

OP, I've daily driven mine for years.

Go wheel your TJ, as it is, and you'll see what you need for where you wheel. Take a look at other capable rigs on the trail and don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't wheel alone, go with another vehicle.

I like to start with stuff that'll get you home... gas tank skid, stuff like that. Once you get center stuck a couple of times, you'll see the need for greater break-over angle and additional protection. The stock skid is a shovel in some cases. As experience is gained, and budget allows, upgrade.

My advice would be to research, research, research... make a build plan. So many have jumped in, without knowledge, and then replaced what they did prior. These toys can be huge money wasters.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/diy-alignment-kit-steps-w-pics-2264465/
post #27 of 27 Old 05-01-2014, 04:19 AM
Pine_Cat
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
research, research, research...
x2, lots of mods are recommended in the forum, but you might not be satisfied with effects that the recommenders were ok with:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bd...-vibe-2367561/

When modifying, allow for a reserve of time and money to deal with unanticipated consequences.

also x2 on the advice to start driving it to decide what you need

That said, my favorite upgrade was progressive springs, because they allow me to drive a lot faster offroad without jouncing to full compression, whereas the factory springs had me rocking the bumpstops. Carefully chosen replacement springs allow much better performance without requiring much lift at all. How is that possible? Progressive springs provide extra spring rate offroad, so you can drive a lot faster offroad, without being too firm on the road (because progressive springs have a softer frequency at ride height, and only firm up when you begin rocking offroad).

It's possible to switch to progressive springs that provide only about 1" of lift. That amount of lift could modify your steering and driveline enough to make you glad you didn't lift higher. Here's a 1" progressive lift that people like:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/1-...-lift-1150250/

If you want to run big tires, then take a look at MetalCloak fenders, since they'll reduce the amount of lift needed.

Tags
lift , modification , off road , stock , tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in