Eaton eLockers and Kolak - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-11-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Thomatwo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Eaton eLockers and Kolak

Hey all,

Anyone else had any trouble with Eaton's packaging of their products? I ordered two eLockers - a Dana 30 (19818) and a Dana 44 (19969) - through Kolak. The 44 came through just fine but the 30 had one of the anti-rotation tabs on the stator broken off. I contacted Kolak - we assumed it was the fault of UPS tossing things around in shipping and a new one was shipped to me within about a week. SAME ISSUE - broken tab. The problem seems to be Eaton's packaging, not the shipping. Kolak suggested that I call Eaton, which I did, and their rep sounded just as frustrated with their shipping as I am. He said they even redesigned the shipping box, sent 3 from one factory to another and they still arrived broken. Anyway, the rep air shipped me a stator to repair the locker (part number 26663-00S for anyone who has this problem) and it arrived in INSANE packaging for a half-pound item - a box within a box within a box.......

I'll get it put together and then have to wait to find time to install it into the TJ.

Question for any of you really smart people out there - do you think it would be possible to very carefully weld the anti-rotation tab back onto the stator. I still have the first broken one, so then I'd have a complete spare or I could sell it basically brand new for half what I paid.

Anyway - heads up to anyone ordering Eaton eLockers.

Attached Thumbnails
broken elocker.jpg  

Glass, china, and reputation are easily cracked, and never well mended.
Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-11-2019, 04:31 PM
freedom_in_4low
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I guess I don't see why it couldn't be welded if the welder was skilled and knew what they were doing.

My D44 e-locker was intact but it was clearly not positioned in the box the same way it was originally packaged and had been flopping around in there damaging the cardboard, so it's been an issue at least since May or June. My bet is some bean counter figured out they could save a few cents per box by using less/lighter material and here we are.

Joe
1999 TJ Sahara
2008 MINI Cooper S
2010 Toyota 4Runner
post #3 of 7 Old 09-11-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Thomatwo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom_in_4low View Post
I guess I don't see why it could be welded if the welder was skilled and knew what they were doing.

My D44 e-locker was intact but it was clearly not positioned in the box the same way it was originally packaged and had been flopping around in there damaging the cardboard, so it's been an issue at least since May or June. My bet is some bean counter figured out they could save a few cents per box by using less/lighter material and here we are.

Thanks for the opinion, Freedom. I'll be talking to a welder I know as soon as I can. My D44 was wandering around in the box, too, but like yours, it was unbroken and went in fine. A couple of pieces of cheap foam and charge the buyer a buck more and problem would be solved.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-12-2019, 03:24 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I thought this was an old thread till I checked the date. Here's the thread I thought I was seeing again, where the tabs were welded back on.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/e...issue-4267377/
post #5 of 7 Old 09-13-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Thomatwo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
I thought this was an old thread till I checked the date. Here's the thread I thought I was seeing again, where the tabs were welded back on.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/e...issue-4267377/
Thanks, Jonny, for the link to the previous thread - I didn't even think to look for it. Nice to know that careful welding can make a successful repair.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-13-2019, 06:42 PM
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ea...issue-4267377/
I thought the same. It's odd that this is still a problem.

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-15-2019, 11:18 PM
astjp2
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem 10 years ago, I contacted eaton and they made it right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in