Durango Alternator Swap with pictures! - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 152 Old 05-17-2016, 11:27 AM
SvtLdr
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0T-C0M View Post
How many wires on the alternator plug on your 97? I didn't specifically research that but seems to me I read something about the voltage regulator being internal to the alternator on the older models. Regardless of the plug in or if the regulator is in the alternator, All that would be requires is to install an external voltage regulator which is pretty simple and get a new plug-in if its different. Its doable just a little more work. I am pretty sure the alternator bolts in but don't quote me on it
DOT-COM, there are 5 total connections on the back of the early TJ alternators (I have a '98). 2 field terminals, a ground terminal, a harness holdown nut and the wire to the battery. The early alternators are also externally regulated by the PCM.

I picked up a 136A alternator from a Grand Cherokee (same connections as mine) to replace my original 90A. In your opinion is the original 6AWG wire and 10AWG fusible link sufficient for 136A output?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 152 Old 05-17-2016, 10:17 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvtLdr View Post
DOT-COM, there are 5 total connections on the back of the early TJ alternators (I have a '98). 2 field terminals, a ground terminal, a harness holdown nut and the wire to the battery. The early alternators are also externally regulated by the PCM.

I picked up a 136A alternator from a Grand Cherokee (same connections as mine) to replace my original 90A. In your opinion is the original 6AWG wire and 10AWG fusible link sufficient for 136A output?
IIRC all TJ's use the voltage regulator in the PCM.
I installed the same 136 amp alternator in my 2000 Sport.
I'm using the OEM 10 AWG fusible link without any issues. Its been in use for 10+ years... HTH

Tags
dodge , durango , alternator , swap , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in