driving a welded diff on hard surface in a TJ? - JeepForum.com
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 Old 01-16-2020, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
zjj

1997 TJ Wrangler 

driving a welded diff on hard surface in a TJ?

I own a 56 Chevy sedan built for straight line racing.... it is spooled in the rear with sticky drag radials that are 10" wide. I drive on the streets (not in the rain) all the time. NO issues. Turns a bit hard but to be expected at slow speeds.
I'm wondering how a 4" lifted TJ would drive with in 2wd obviously on hard surface roads at say 25 to 30 mph and then maybe at hwy speeds to get to the trail system? It has 35" Dick Cepek Extreme Countries on it as well.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 01-16-2020, 01:37 PM
BrokeJeepJoe

Garage
I had a Toyota pickup with a welded diff on 35 MTs, It wasn't impossible on the street but not the best option. I would use a lunchbox locker before I welded the diff. Your 56 handles well because the slicks flex, you will get less flex from 35" Cepeks
zjj likes this.
post #3 of 45 Old 01-16-2020, 01:47 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You will pull nice wheelies if you're turning left and giving it moderate to heavy throttle.
Ross, zjj and BrokeJeepJoe like this.

post #4 of 45 Old 01-16-2020, 02:35 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Spools are very predictable on the street so long as you behave when driving with them. I have a couple friends with welded diffs (spools) who daily drive their TJs with them. I would not want to drive with a spool on icy or snow-covered roads but I wouldn't worry about it that much on the pavement.
zjj likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #5 of 45 Old 01-16-2020, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
zjj

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Spools are very predictable on the street so long as you behave when driving with them. I have a couple friends with welded diffs (spools) who daily drive their TJs with them. I would not want to drive with a spool on icy or snow-covered roads but I wouldn't worry about it that much on the pavement.
I agree. Snow wouldn't be cool, and ice is bad with anything...lol.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan
post #6 of 45 Old 01-16-2020, 10:05 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

driving a welded diff on hard surface in a TJ?

Well, depends on the axle. Weld up a stock 35 and you can kiss the shafts goodbye in short order.

I personally would not want to live with a spool on the street - even with an axle that could take it. Too much drama in the turns, especially with a set of big, sticky rubber.
TheBoogieman likes this.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 45 Old 01-17-2020, 08:30 AM
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I did it for a few months when my Detroit broke. I put in a mini spool in my 8.8 to make a trip and driving it on the road wasn’t bad. However going slow in parking lots making tight turns was terrible. It caused a lot of body roll and chirped the tires constantly.

36" TSL/SX
TNT Phantom Fenders/PSC Comp Cut corners
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
103" Wheelbase
post #8 of 45 Old 01-18-2020, 12:27 AM
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Never did on a TJ but drove 2 CJ-5's and a YJ with a welded rear axle. Tires chirped on just about every turn and you will wear thru a set of tires REAL fast. With as light as the rear on our Jeeps are it just makes it fun.

As everyone else has said on snow and ice it would SUCK and you would slide off to the side of the road on any sloped roads.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #9 of 45 Old 01-18-2020, 06:31 AM
40vern
1999 XJ Cherokee 

since i have an extra front and rear end, i would do it in a heart beat it i had a mig welder.
post #10 of 45 Old 01-22-2020, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
zjj

1997 TJ Wrangler 

so.... found out that the rear end is open and the front has an Aussie locker. The rear is NOT welded b/c he knew it would take out the stock axles with the 35's.....
sorry to mislead the topic, but lead to some interesting conversation anyway! thx fellow Jeepers!

post #11 of 45 Old 01-22-2020, 04:43 PM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40vern View Post
since i have an extra front and rear end, i would do it in a heart beat it i had a mig welder.
Mig is not the best process for that repair / modification. Arc welding is the best method really .

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill
post #12 of 45 Old 01-22-2020, 05:16 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFl.Wrangler View Post
Mig is not the best process for that repair / modification. Arc welding is the best method really .

Why is that?

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #13 of 45 Old 01-22-2020, 06:04 PM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Why is that?
For the most part / generally speaking, Arc welding will provide you with much better / deeper penetration & penetration is what its all about when it comes to welding. Not that the mig welding process couldn't do the job-- it might and you might not have any issues. You also have a greater selection & ease of access of filler material in the arc welding process than you do in mig.

Mig has its place and i have used them both quite a bit, but where I NEED strength and penetration - arc ( stick) is a no brainer here.

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill
post #14 of 45 Old 01-22-2020, 06:34 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFl.Wrangler View Post
For the most part / generally speaking, Arc welding will provide you with much better / deeper penetration & penetration is what its all about when it comes to welding. Not that the mig welding process couldn't do the job-- it might and you might not have any issues. You also have a greater selection & ease of access of filler material in the arc welding process than you do in mig.

Mig has its place and i have used them both quite a bit, but where I NEED strength and penetration - arc ( stick) is a no brainer here.
I dunno why you don't believe MIG can penetrate deeply for Jeep size steel. For just one example MIG is commonly used in large ship building where they're welding huge plates of steel together for hull construction where penetration and strength is paramount. IIRC MIG was first developed for large naval and commercial ship and large steel building frame construction. A 220V MIG welder can blow holes through anything on a Jeep so penetration is not an issue. And to be sure, MIG is absolutely arc welding. Oxy-acetylene is not arc welding.
zjj likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #15 of 45 Old 01-22-2020, 07:15 PM
hokahay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I dunno why you don't believe MIG can penetrate deeply for Jeep size steel. For just one example MIG is commonly used in large ship building where they're welding huge plates of steel together for hull construction where penetration and strength is paramount. IIRC MIG was first developed for large naval and commercial ship and large steel building frame construction. A 220V MIG welder can blow holes through anything on a Jeep so penetration is not an issue. And to be sure, MIG is absolutely arc welding. Oxy-acetylene is not arc welding.

If he is bent on doing it wrong then he should just do it right.

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-12...l-3-92-up.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in