drill thru windshield? - JeepForum.com
 3Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-25-2021, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
coachgeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

drill thru windshield?

Looking to cut off the family cage to fit a half top. Yet I know I need triangulation of the cab cage. (In the past one saved my cranium already).

will it work to drill thru the windshield frame where the side bars attach in the cab... in order to attach tube to run FORWARD. aka...... triangulate forward toward bumper instead of rearward toward end of tub. Yes understand where ever I mount if it is to chassis or bumper instead of reinforced body part, it will need same flexibility as cab mounts at least

Attached Thumbnails
FwdTrangltion.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-25-2021, 10:38 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Don't. Triangulate it from the B-pillar bar to the rear of the Jeep like all well-designed roll cages are.
TheBoogieman likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-25-2021, 11:21 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
unless those are out side of hood line you wont be able to open the hood as well. to do that its now an exocage like thing. seems like Rube Goldberg cage system. doing a cab over front will make any triangulated rear hard to take the top off. unless that part is removable < doable worth it? I would just front cage it and at best triangulate B to its self and maybe the B to A over head but that is head breaker point. Reality to kick B with cab over you need the angle forward of B now its in the way getting in, like a any two set pick up with cage even cars.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old 11-25-2021, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
coachgeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Don't. Triangulate it from the B-pillar bar to the rear of the Jeep like all well-designed roll cages are.
as explained the typical B pillar (on a TJ that is the roll bar hoop) to back wont work. The half top dissects it there.

why would triangulation rearward have more benefit that triangulation forward? besides.... strength wise is not the B pillar more sturdy than the A pillar.... thus triangulating off A in that case would strengthen the weakest pillar as well as provide resistance to windshield frame slapping occupant in the head.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-25-2021, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
coachgeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
unless those are out side of hood line you wont be able to open the hood as well. to do that its now an exocage like thing. seems like Rube Goldberg cage system. doing a cab over front will make any triangulated rear hard to take the top off. unless that part is removable < doable worth it? I would just front cage it and at best triangulate B to its self and maybe the B to A over head but that is head breaker point. Reality to kick B with cab over you need the angle forward of B now its in the way getting in, like a any two set pick up with cage even cars.
. thanks.... aware of hood issue.
. top likely will never come off... but would like to avoid cutting drilling large hole for rear bar to pass thru cause it is classic CJ8 scrambler half top.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-25-2021, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
coachgeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

would a front cage portion "WELDED IN" similar as below image and thru to floor ; provide as much protection as triangulating forward as proposed in drawing if there is no B to C Pillar installed? would be easier to do this with a kit compared to fabricating

Last edited by coachgeo; 11-25-2021 at 06:10 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-26-2021, 02:33 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachgeo View Post
as explained the typical B pillar (on a TJ that is the roll bar hoop) to back wont work. The half top dissects it there.

why would triangulation rearward have more benefit that triangulation forward? besides.... strength wise is not the B pillar more sturdy than the A pillar.... thus triangulating off A in that case would strengthen the weakest pillar as well as provide resistance to windshield frame slapping occupant in the head.
Find a single photo of a Wrangler triangulated like you are thinking you want to do. I'll just say it again, don't triangulate as you're describing. And of course triangulating it toward the rear works, that's how it's done. I have to say your ideas including drilling the windshield make me wonder.

post #8 of 18 Old 11-26-2021, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
coachgeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...course triangulating it toward the rear works, that's how it's done.
yes of course it works..... makes perfect lay out sense in 99.9% situations. Go figure I end up in NOT one of those situations. Oh well..... shiat happens.... you deal with it.... traditional way... OR NOT. Cant triangulate backward. Not an option. Usually is an option sure.... just not this time. Physics is physics... if you have a physics/ engineering reason triangulating forward is a waste of time.. I am all ears. Much thanks for your input though. Respect your years of wheeling.

While bringing up engineering (which indirectly is part of my field of study)- see any reason that a weld in cage; as pictured previous photo, would it not offer similar protection as oem front/rear cage ? Granted it would be better with rear section still there but again.... not an option this time.

side note... here is one of those other times was not an option due to rear space used for other things.

Last edited by coachgeo; 11-26-2021 at 07:35 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-26-2021, 07:34 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If a friend/wheeling buddy asked about doing that I'd politely and humorously tell him it was the stupidest idea I had ever heard in my 33 years of Jeeping.

But since I don't know you and would never say that to anyone but a friend, I can only say it's your Jeep... do whatever you want.

post #10 of 18 Old 11-26-2021, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
coachgeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

here is an interesting option.. instead of triangulating foward at A pillar (windshield) this builder (and others) triagulate forward at the B pillar. Like this idea better.

post #11 of 18 Old 11-26-2021, 07:51 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Attached Images

post #12 of 18 Old 11-26-2021, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
coachgeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
at times it is good to be a purest.... but not always.. again..... rearward triangulation is not an option in this build.

Last edited by coachgeo; 11-27-2021 at 12:22 AM.
post #13 of 18 Old 11-27-2021, 09:42 AM
Strangers
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just have at it. You do you!

Me, Banditt, Tippie and ole Heep a long!
RIP Banditt 3/86 - 11/01
post #14 of 18 Old 11-27-2021, 01:00 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachgeo View Post
at times it is good to be a purest.... but not always.. again..... rearward triangulation is not an option in this build.
If you're not capable of triangulating it like was shown, find a cage builder who will do it for you. There is ZERO reason your b-pillar cannot be triangulated properly other than you just are not capable of it. Anyone who builds roll cages would laugh at your idea and refusal to listen to advice.

I'm done here, I cannot believe you are insisting on moving forward with your ill-conceived idea. I'll just make one last suggestion. Since you're not believing me, simply go visit a roll cage builder and ask them for a sanity check and what they think of your idea. Make sure to tell them you want to drill through the windshield too. However, I know this last suggestion was wasted effort as I know you won't for fear they'll laugh too.

post #15 of 18 Old 11-27-2021, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
coachgeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you're not capable of triangulating it like was shown,...
You apparently have not read my post for clarity. Again... due to a fiberglass hard HALF TOP .... I CAN NOT TRIANGULATE TO THE REAR " PERIOD " without cutting large holes into the top... and sacrificing rear deck space which I am not willing to do.

As have stated.... well understand the traditional way it is done as you rightly describe.... and well understand the various logic to those reasons and have pointed this out already. Again if you have no engineering / physics points to make about forward triangulation at the B pillar as done in many small cab trucks, or A Pillar; as I first proposed, beyond it is "not tradition" that you keep making.. then thanks.. you have made your point and I respect that fully.

Way im leaning now is the forward at the B pillar similar as shown in the truck cab image. Never liked the A pillar idea much... but at first saw it as my only option till came across the forward at the B pillar idea.

PS- already checked with legitimate cage builder PRIOR TO EVEN STARTING THIS THREAD. He saw no issue with triangulating forward at A Pillar/windshield frame. This thread was seeking input from others who may have.. or spied another rig that did similar for additional input.

Thanks

Last edited by coachgeo; 11-27-2021 at 01:39 PM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in