Door removal - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 31 Old 09-26-2012, 06:41 AM
JeepWave06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubiman805 View Post
I think the doors on a KJ Liberty are harder to take off then on a TJ even with a jack.
My thought exactly lol. And no one has chimed in as to why its so bad to use a jack + wood to slowly persuade the door. Id still like to know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 Old 09-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Sobie
Bolt-on Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWave06 View Post
My thought exactly lol. And no one has chimed in as to why its so bad to use a jack + wood to slowly persuade the door. Id still like to know.
You can bend the door or you can build up enough pressure that when they do finally let go there is a good chance you wont have a good hold of them (probably because you are messing with the jack) and they will fall to the ground.

USAF
post #18 of 31 Old 09-26-2012, 09:38 AM
dmblair
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWave06 View Post
Yeah, I'm curious as well. My 04 had never had the doors off until earlier this spring, and they were a beast about coming off. Ended up using a bottle jack along with a piece of wood against the threads of the pin and the doors came right off. I soaked and soaked with pb blaster for days leading up to that and those doors WERE NOT coming off unless a jack was involved. Only thing I can think of why people are saying not to used a jack is if you were to put the jack on the door farthest away from the hinges and start cranking. I could see where that would put the door in one heck of a bind and could be disasterous.

post #19 of 31 Old 09-26-2012, 09:48 AM
maestro89
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would not use a jack, really hazardous. I used PB, plus swinging and lifting, plus a screwdriver + hammer on the pins. I had a lot of trouble too with my virgin tj, but the last part broke them free. After you get them off, do like someone said and sand the pins then extra PB when reinstalling
post #20 of 31 Old 09-26-2012, 10:34 AM
black05tj
2017 JK Wrangler 

I had to use a jack to get mine loose the first time. You do have to be careful, don't just slap it under there and start pumping like hell. Just take care of where you're applying the pressure and how much. Take your time and pay attention to what's going on because, as noted, you could do some damage. Once I got mine to break loose just a tad, I was able to remove the jack and work them the rest of the way out by the methods already stated above. Just had to be patient, they eventually came out.

I also cleaned up the pins and applied a little grease to them before putting the doors back on. Made it easier to get them back out the following spring.

If you see Hobbes, tell him I said "Hi".
post #21 of 31 Old 09-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I used a jack. Tie a rope around the door frame and the roll bar to keep it from hitting the ground or have an assistint. When the pins clear the hinge, it's going to fall and it is heavy.
post #22 of 31 Old 09-26-2012, 05:15 PM
connor0770

1997 TJ Wrangler 

just make sure when you are lifting you are lifting as close to the hinge as possible. My friends always grab edge of the door which puts lateral forces on the hinge therefore making it hard to lift up and out.

97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
post #23 of 31 Old 09-27-2012, 06:48 AM
JeepWave06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobie View Post
You can bend the door or you can build up enough pressure that when they do finally let go there is a good chance you wont have a good hold of them (probably because you are messing with the jack) and they will fall to the ground.
This I can see if someone is being reckless about it, but careful use of the jack has gotten my doors of quite handily. I put the wood under the door but as close to the inner corner as i deem safe then slowly lift it out. Thanks to my jack's handle, i can hold the door and jack it up at the same time. I lift the door out slow until the threaded parts of the door pins reach the top, then just lift the door out. The first time took more finesse but now its just my go to method for a quick removal. Didnt need wd40 after my first time either.
post #24 of 31 Old 09-28-2012, 11:16 PM
texas-hooligan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I used a ratchet strap slung over the garage door track to give me just a little bit of upward pressure as I wiggled the door back and forth.

After I got the doors off I just ran a drill bit by hand in and out of the hole to create a little breathing room for the door pins. Now they come off every time with no problems.
post #25 of 31 Old 10-01-2012, 10:23 AM
bobby1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

curious if someone makes a bushing to fit the hinge
post #26 of 31 Old 10-01-2012, 10:39 AM
wiley3043

It really is easy, it's just a matter of your pivot point. If you're lifting from too far away from the hinges the door is pivoting toward the body and pinching, making it all that much harder to lift.

Take your inside leg and put it under the door, near the hinges. Lift up with your LEG. If your Jeep isn't lifted too high the ground is your friend here.

You should be able to relatively easily push it right up out of the hinges with your thigh. (A little open/close wiggling helps, but generally isn't all that necessary)
post #27 of 31 Old 10-01-2012, 12:26 PM
DanZ51

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just pulled my doors off for the first time in the three years I've owned it (I know,,,, the shame ) The driver's side came off without a hitch: nice! The passenger's side fought me tooth and nail. Hammer, jack and Kroil wasn't cutting it. I finally realized it was the bottom hinge that was being a *****, so I unbolted the bottom hinge from the body and slipped the door off. Now that it was on the floor I took my pneumatic Zip gun to it and the body half the hinge popped off. Not the prettiest way to do it, but I was out of options.

"I will always be an American Soldier"
post #28 of 31 Old 10-01-2012, 01:10 PM
chachi44089
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby1 View Post
curious if someone makes a bushing to fit the hinge
Yes, I have seen them on ebay. They look brass or bronze..
post #29 of 31 Old 10-01-2012, 02:14 PM
brplatz

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Don't get the bronze ones, black magic brakes sells some nice delrin ones

The Second Amendment is in place in case they ignore the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
That's like saying you wish your boyfriend was a bit less gay.
MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #30 of 31 Old 10-01-2012, 05:04 PM
RiponredTJ
Happy Member No. 1

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I trashed the bushings the first time I wrestled the doors off my 98 and never bothered to replace them. Haven't missed them one bit.

This City is what it is because our citizens are what they are.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in