Donor Vehicle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-10-2013, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
rusty3189
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Donor Vehicle

I have a 2000 TJ wrangler. I bought a jeep in need of a front and rear differental, and a transfer case. My Jeep is a 6 cyl. with a 5 speed trans.. I need to find out what these parts can come out of, I have been told that these parts can come out of a Cherokee. I just need to know what years I need to look for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The Cherokee's rear axle is set up for leaf springs, it won't fit your coil spring TJ without substantial work. The Cherokee's front axle will bolt up. The Cherokee's transfer case will only be guaranteed to fit if the donor Cherokee has the same exact transmission and engine size your TJ has. Transfer case input shaft diameters & lengths vary by engine and transmission type. Though if your existing transfer case's input shaft is still in good condition, it could be swapped into the Cherokee's transfer case.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-10-2013, 11:08 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

For front axle other TJs or XJs (96-99 preferred, although others work). For rear axle for bolt in other TJs. If you are prepared to do fab work there are other options.

For transfer case to be straight bolt in you need another 231 with similar spline count and length on the input shaft. What will have that is a little more complicated. I think its Novak that has a decent writeup in their tech section. Swapping input shafts is possible. Also possible to make other cases work with a bit of messing around.

post #4 of 4 Old 04-10-2013, 11:16 AM
VBRubicon

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ahhhhhhh...you guys are awesome.

I started to reply but then gave up when I realized I didn't know on the tc input differences off of the top of my head and didn't feel like looking them up....ahahahah!

They pretty much nailed it of course. I'll just throw in make sure that your front and rear gear ratios are the same if you get them from 2 different Jeeps.

"Yeah well, that's just like...your opinion, man."
-El Duderino-

Mr. Madison, what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in