Does ecu increase idle in D and R (32rh)? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jerry Bransford

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-04-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
fugitive
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Does ecu increase idle in D and R (32rh)?

If i move gear selector towards D or R but not far enough to engage transmission, I get a rise in rps to about 1000-1100 then it falls back to about 700. Is that the ecu compensating for increase load of D and R? Just curious.

2000 TJ with 32rh

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-05-2019, 06:26 AM
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

My Ď99 always did that. Not sure if itís SUPPOSED to or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 12-07-2019, 12:05 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugitive View Post
If i move gear selector towards D or R but not far enough to engage transmission, I get a rise in rps to about 1000-1100 then it falls back to about 700. Is that the ecu compensating for increase load of D and R? Just curious.

2000 TJ with 32rh
It's not specifically compensating for the transmission being in D or R, it's just keeping the RPMs where they need to be. The computer doesn't know what gear the transmission is in.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 5 Old 12-20-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
fugitive
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That is strange because the transmission is still in neutral and the rpms rise to over 1000 just the selector is near drive or reverse. Also when going from park to neutral the rpms rise when passing through reverse. AND in neutral it idles around 650. In drive with foot off the gas and off the brake it will accelerate to about 800-900 rpm (like in traffic). There must be a ecu program to open idle speed control motor to "compensate" for when in gear.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-20-2019, 05:02 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugitive View Post
That is strange because the transmission is still in neutral and the rpms rise to over 1000 just the selector is near drive or reverse. Also when going from park to neutral the rpms rise when passing through reverse. AND in neutral it idles around 650. In drive with foot off the gas and off the brake it will accelerate to about 800-900 rpm (like in traffic). There must be a ecu program to open idle speed control motor to "compensate" for when in gear.
Again, there is no program in the ECM/PCM to raise the rpms based on the gear selector's position. The computer has absolutely no indication and no clue of what gear a 32RH or 30RH transmission is in. If your rpms are unexpectedly high at times you have problem with either a vacuum leak, dirty IAC (idle air control, or perhaps a faulty TPS (throttle position sensor).
TheBoogieman likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in