Disable the SKIM (Sentry Key Immobilizer Module) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 266 Old 10-16-2009, 03:07 PM
99TJSahara

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
How? After cutting the key, does the guy walk out to your jeep and do just what you yourself can do?
(There is no 'program' in the key itself...)
Ace hardwares around me can now program keys, as long as you have one already programed, they can program a new one, price included key.

-Joey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 Grand Cherokee Overland

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 266 Old 10-19-2009, 02:08 PM
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

my local dealer can do keys for 30 bucks if I bring the keys, as many as I want for that one price. But I always fear that what happens one day with SHTF and for whatever the reason your jeep starts but dies 3 seconds later. You know what it is, but can't do a dang thing to get your Jeep on the road because of this part!
post #33 of 266 Old 10-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Boundless

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclaudii View Post
my local dealer can do keys for 30 bucks if I bring the keys, as many as I want for that one price. But I always fear that what happens one day with SHTF and for whatever the reason your jeep starts but dies 3 seconds later. You know what it is, but can't do a dang thing to get your Jeep on the road because of this part!
JUMP ON IT!!! My local dealers (that is the ones still open) want $50 for each key and $50 for each key to be programed. Having beenthe Service Mgr at a Lexus dealer and not charging this much, I wonder how long these still open dealers will be open?

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 6cyl, 4spd auto, dana 30/44 3.73, rear trac-loc, hard top, BFG KM2 35/12.5 x 15 on rattle can black stock Ravine wheels & 1.5" spacers, trimmed flares, budget PA 1" BL & RC 1" MML, Ford Explorer roof rack, Hella e-code headlight housings, 55 watt DDM HID Hi/Lo 6000k, EBC Yellow Stuff front brake pads, Platinum P4 battery, Rusty's 3" 305s front and 303s rear springs, RC rear track bar bracket and Hella 500FFs with DDM's 55watt 6000k H3 HIDs on windshield hinge brackets. Currie's front upper and lower control arms. Hummm whats next? Building a Dana HP30 with 4.88 and ? locker

post #34 of 266 Old 10-19-2009, 03:18 PM
jondotcom
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TJSahara View Post
Ace hardwares around me can now program keys, as long as you have one already programed, they can program a new one, price included key.
How is that possible? I thought it was only possible to program a key if you have 2 working ones?
post #35 of 266 Old 10-19-2009, 04:14 PM
SantaAnaSlim
2004 XJ Cherokee 

Dealers around here charge $50 for the key and $50 to program. I said screw that. I bought a bunch of blanks on ebay for about 10 bucks each. You can get them cut by any locksmith and then program them yourself for free, assuming you have 2 keys already. If NOT, then I found a guy that will program a key for 40 bucks. It's not great, but it's still cheaper than a dealer. He does remote starters and alarms and stuff, so I would imagine they have the tools needed to talk to computers. I found him through here:
http://www.keylessride.com/company/locations.asp
post #36 of 266 Old 10-20-2009, 09:13 AM
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

I still wonder if the big starscan or whatever the dealer uses can turn it off. I only have one key and I worry about loosing it while out wheeling or hundreds of miles from home. If I had full coverage and the road side service crap, then I might get a replacement key for free, but I don't. I plan on ordering a few blanks on ebay (probably 4 or so) and then just getting them all done at once. they said they charge for 30 min of the labor rate.
post #37 of 266 Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I still wonder if the big starscan or whatever the dealer uses can turn it off.

No matter how many times you ask, anyone else asks, or how many times you think it should be able to be done, the answer will always be no, it cannot be disabled once it's been activated.

Quote:
I only have one key and I worry about loosing it while out wheeling or hundreds of miles from home.

You seem like the kind of person that would play Russian Roulette with one empty chamber.

Quote:
If I had full coverage and the road side service crap, then I might get a replacement key for free, but I don't. I plan on ordering a few blanks on ebay (probably 4 or so) and then just getting them all done at once. they said they charge for 30 min of the labor rate.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #38 of 266 Old 10-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Humboldt

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wish I had it since I rarely have more than just a bikini top on it.
post #39 of 266 Old 10-20-2009, 10:56 AM
SantaAnaSlim
2004 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I still wonder if the big starscan or whatever the dealer uses can turn it off. I only have one key and I worry about loosing it while out wheeling or hundreds of miles from home. If I had full coverage and the road side service crap, then I might get a replacement key for free, but I don't. I plan on ordering a few blanks on ebay (probably 4 or so) and then just getting them all done at once. they said they charge for 30 min of the labor rate.
My jeep only came with one key when I bought it so I made sure to get at least TWO working keys. You just need to make ONE extra key. Once you have two functional keys, you can program as many as you want. It's cheap to buy the blanks and have them cut. It's the programing of that one key that'll cost you something. I've also heard of people taking a programmed key apart and glueing the chip to the column near the sensor, so you can use regular hardware store blanks. Obviously there are some security issues as well as the potential for that chip to get unglued. It might be a good idea to get some real keys programed and hide one somewhere. Zip-tie it to something secure and hidden.
post #40 of 266 Old 10-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Boundless

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaAnaSlim View Post
My jeep only came with one key when I bought it so I made sure to get at least TWO working keys. You just need to make ONE extra key. Once you have two functional keys, you can program as many as you want. It's cheap to buy the blanks and have them cut. It's the programing of that one key that'll cost you something. I've also heard of people taking a programmed key apart and glueing the chip to the column near the sensor, so you can use regular hardware store blanks. Obviously there are some security issues as well as the potential for that chip to get unglued. It might be a good idea to get some real keys programed and hide one somewhere. Zip-tie it to something secure and hidden.
Hey now why was I not thinking... I just have to pay for the 1st key programing, because once you have two programed keys, the rest can be done with out the programer, right?

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 6cyl, 4spd auto, dana 30/44 3.73, rear trac-loc, hard top, BFG KM2 35/12.5 x 15 on rattle can black stock Ravine wheels & 1.5" spacers, trimmed flares, budget PA 1" BL & RC 1" MML, Ford Explorer roof rack, Hella e-code headlight housings, 55 watt DDM HID Hi/Lo 6000k, EBC Yellow Stuff front brake pads, Platinum P4 battery, Rusty's 3" 305s front and 303s rear springs, RC rear track bar bracket and Hella 500FFs with DDM's 55watt 6000k H3 HIDs on windshield hinge brackets. Currie's front upper and lower control arms. Hummm whats next? Building a Dana HP30 with 4.88 and ? locker

post #41 of 266 Old 10-20-2009, 06:47 PM
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoundlessBinder View Post
Hey now why was I not thinking... I just have to pay for the 1st key programing, because once you have two programed keys, the rest can be done with out the programer, right?
Yes... though your dealer should charge you the same to program 1 key or 5 keys... if they charge per key, pick a different shop!

I'll be Savvy someday!
post #42 of 266 Old 10-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Bishop Creek

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have four keys. One in my pocket, one hidden on the Jeep and two at home - just in case. Two of them I got of eBay.

“This isn’t the Old West, because the New West has never arrived. It’s just the West, like Wyatt Earp died yesterday.”
─ Michael Martin Murphey talking about the Eastern Sierra during an interview in 1996.
post #43 of 266 Old 12-29-2009, 07:39 AM
baxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMayer View Post
It's ridiculous to think that a dealership actually has the nuts to charge $120 for a $10 key and 5 minutes in their own parking lot. I was relieved that my local dealership told me they charge $40 for the key and the programming was no charge, and even then, that's $40 for a freakin' key. I know this post isn't helpful, but sometimes you just have to express amazement...
more than 5 minutes they need to contact chrysler properly identify themselves access the secrect key number for your vehicle then program it with the DRBIII ($5000 to $10000) some dealerships have several DRB scanners
post #44 of 266 Old 12-29-2009, 07:41 AM
baxy

Quote:
remove the skim module and replace PCM with a non security model
if you put in a new PCM even without security it will see the skim on the buss and tell itself oh we have security where is the secrect key info ??
post #45 of 266 Old 01-12-2010, 01:23 PM
stjjames
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The SKIM function is in all the ECM's. The only difference is it's either activated or not. Once activated, it can not be circumvented, deleted or turned off in the computer.

If you wish to have that done in the ECM, you have two choices. Either buy another ECM that doesn't have the SKIM function activated, or return the ECM to the Factory who will then return it to the vendor for reprogramming.

There are some work arounds for using the non Sentry keys that have been listed in this thread, but that's about it as far as deactivation of the function goes.

So, could an aftermarket ecu tuning device 'flash' the ecu the same as 'vendor reprogramming' ?

P.A.O.
Beauty comes with Dark Thoughts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in