Disable the SKIM (Sentry Key Immobilizer Module) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 264 Old 03-09-2008, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Benny2Times

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Disable the SKIM (Sentry Key Immobilizer Module)

Does anyone know how to do this? I want to be able to get new keys without having to pay $120 for the transponder grey ones.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 264 Old 03-09-2008, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Benny2Times

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I had lost my original Key, and it cost me $120 to get one key. I was thinking it would really suck to lose it again and I would like to have a spare.
post #3 of 264 Old 03-09-2008, 06:25 PM
stangman68inftc

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I do not have this in my Jeep, however, I have heard of people taping a key (or just the fob for safety purposes) under the dash. Then they can use a key without a chip because the other one with the chip is already close enough.

Colorado Jeep Club member #87

post #4 of 264 Old 03-09-2008, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Benny2Times

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah but if it comes off while crawling, my rig would die, or even worse while driving down the express way.
post #5 of 264 Old 03-09-2008, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Benny2Times

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yes, the grey is the transponder key. From the dealership I was told it will cost $60 for the key and $60 for the programming, plus you have to get your rig towed to the dealership. My girlfriend has AAA and we got a guy to come to my house. Her AAA plan covers $100 dollars of the cost, but the guy that came to my house charged $175 total, so I had to pay $75. It only took him 10 min and he told me that the cost for the actual key is $30.
post #6 of 264 Old 03-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Buy the key from eBay for about $10-12. Have it cut at a locksmith for $3. Then you can program it in your rig with two original transponder keys you have.

2009 JK Rubicon
2019 Mustang 6 Speed DD
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman
Shrockworks Mid-width, Warn 9.5Ti; Skid Row Engine, LCA & Evap Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Diff Skids, 11,000# Pull-Pal. Uniden 520XL CB; Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1.
Moab - TJ: 4/06, 5/08, JK: 4/09, 5/11, 4/13, 5/16, 4/17, 5/18
Ouray - TJ-8/07
Rubicon - TJ-9/08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 264 Old 03-09-2008, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Benny2Times

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I would, but I only have 1 key now since my girl lost my only set. And that cost me $75.
post #8 of 264 Old 03-09-2008, 07:50 PM
lockdoc

eliminate need for expensive keys

Greetings,

I offer this up as a simple solution only because I have done this to my 99 Sahara. Carefully remove the rubber portion of the key. Once removed you will find a white plastic holder with a transponder held in it. Remove the chip from the holder and glue it to the inside part of the shroud in real close proximity to the transponder antenna that surrounds the front part of the lock cylinder. It is a good idea to try random placings of the chip before making its new position permanent. You can now just use regular flat metal keys that are dirt cheap and I also like their small flat size, just right for a spare in your wallet. Responding to a comment made earlier on this topic, once started the vehicle will remain started even if the transponder is removed. However once turned off,the vehicle will not restart until the transponder is placed back in range of the antenna. One other thing to consider before doing this is insurance issues in the event your jeep is stolen.
post #9 of 264 Old 05-28-2008, 12:23 PM
mill500
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've got the same thing going on with my 99 TJ. I've tried the 2nd key, it doesn't do anything either. Would this still indicate a bad key or a bad reciever/antenna?

One idea I was playing with was on my '04 Ram, I added the same system (it didn't come as OE). I had to re-program the computer with a DRBIII so it knew to wait for the acknowledgment to come back. I'm wondering if you could just "unprogram" the computer so it doesn't look for the chip and then shut down. I'm not all that excited with putting much $ into the fix.
post #10 of 264 Old 05-28-2008, 01:28 PM
BlueFlame

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Based on the info in the many threads here, I would think that you could have a dealer to turn off the Sentry Key function. Could be wrong, but if you can add the column portion to a jeep that doesn't have it, then have it activated (the prgramming is already in all the computers) seems logical you could have it deactivated just as easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #11 of 264 Old 05-28-2008, 02:00 PM
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangman68inftc View Post
I do not have this in my Jeep, however, I have heard of people taping a key (or just the fob for safety purposes) under the dash. Then they can use a key without a chip because the other one with the chip is already close enough.
it dosnt work, atleast how i tried it. Its not an RF signal for all i know, i think it actually travels through the metal of the key

2010 Magnetic Toyota 4Runner Trail Teams

My builds:
and

or follow us on
post #12 of 264 Old 05-28-2008, 02:31 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstrike View Post
Buy the key from eBay for about $10-12. Have it cut at a locksmith for $3. Then you can program it in your rig with two original transponder keys you have.
x2 on the above

If you currently have 2 keys, you can and should do it yourself (before you lose a key). I bought one from ebay also, guy at Lowe's cut it for me free. Procedure to program is in the owners manual, plus an instruction sheet came with the new key.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...spagenameZWDVW

If you only have 1 key, you have to pay up, either at the dealer or locksmith (with a program module).

I have also heard that having the "key fob" in close proximity will allow a non sentry key work.

There is a thread that explains how the system checks for a valid key on this forum.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #13 of 264 Old 05-28-2008, 03:56 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
Based on the info in the many threads here, I would think that you could have a dealer to turn off the Sentry Key function. Could be wrong, but if you can add the column portion to a jeep that doesn't have it, then have it activated (the prgramming is already in all the computers) seems logical you could have it deactivated just as easily.
The SKIM function is in all the ECM's. The only difference is it's either activated or not. Once activated, it can not be circumvented, deleted or turned off in the computer.

If you wish to have that done in the ECM, you have two choices. Either buy another ECM that doesn't have the SKIM function activated, or return the ECM to the Factory who will then return it to the vendor for reprogramming.

There are some work arounds for using the non Sentry keys that have been listed in this thread, but that's about it as far as deactivation of the function goes.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #14 of 264 Old 05-28-2008, 04:11 PM
JMayer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It's ridiculous to think that a dealership actually has the nuts to charge $120 for a $10 key and 5 minutes in their own parking lot. I was relieved that my local dealership told me they charge $40 for the key and the programming was no charge, and even then, that's $40 for a freakin' key. I know this post isn't helpful, but sometimes you just have to express amazement...
post #15 of 264 Old 05-28-2008, 04:12 PM
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Seems like it's not worth it to me. If it helps stop theft, leave it. You learned your lesson & got ripped by your dealer once... now you know you can get them cheaper and you can program it yourself... and you'll probably be more careful about losing your key now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPandemonium
It's ridiculous to think that a dealership actually has the nuts to charge $120 for a $10 key and 5 minutes in their own parking lot. I was relieved that my local dealership told me they charge $40 for the key and the programming was no charge, and even then, that's $40 for a freakin' key. I know this post isn't helpful, but sometimes you just have to express amazement...
Just because you can buy a skim key on ebay for $10 doesn't mean that's what the dealer pays. The factory key (the one that says "Jeep" on it) has a list price of $50 from Chrysler. The dealer pays quite a bit more than $10 for that key. Some dealers also carry aftermarket sentry keys, but I can tell you that we pay more than $10 from our distributors for those as well.

I'll be Savvy someday!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in