Differential fluid change - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 05-03-2006, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
mkalcevic

Differential fluid change

I was just at the dealer getting my oil changed (I would have DIY, but it was free) and they said the diff. fluid was dirty and needed changing and wanted money that I didn't feel I had to give them. I trust them in saying it was dirty even though I only have 15k on it (stock '05 6cyl) since I'll check it out for myself before paying anything as I have done before there. I have a basic comprehension of how changing it is done, but a couple minor details I need polished over. First, what brand/weight and how much should I get? Synthetic or "natural"? Second, what brand of RTV? Third, is there any kind of spray and/or trick to cleaning out the old crap? Forth, when they say to fill it up until it comes out of the hole, are they talking about the drain hole? And, last, what is the torque for the cover bolts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-03-2006, 12:29 PM
sctigerjeep

you shouldn't really need to use anything to get the old stuff out, just take the diff cover off and let it run into a catch pan. after all the bolts are removed, if the cover doesn't come off, just push a flat head screwdrive between the cover and the diff and pry b/c you may need to break the seal of the old RTV. use the same screwdriver to scrape all the old RTV off, then put down a new bead of RTV (i use permatex, but the brand doesn't really matter). put the cover back on and torque the bolts to 30 ft/lb (i'm pretty sure) and remove the drain plug. go ahead and buy two things of 80W90 gear oil (synthetic vs. non-synthetic is all about preference, as is brand), because one is usually just short of being enough. fill the diff via the drain plug until the oil is right underneath the hole. put the drain plug back in and be on your way.

hope that helps

Last edited by sctigerjeep; 05-03-2006 at 01:58 PM.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-03-2006, 01:00 PM
GSW

You can use brake cleaner to help you get the old "dirty" oil out. At 15k it wouldn't hurt to swap out the oil anyway, but I'm a little curious how they determined it was dirty, esp. if they were only doing an oil change.

92 YJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 Old 05-03-2006, 01:08 PM
sctigerjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
You can use brake cleaner to help you get the old "dirty" oil out. At 15k it wouldn't hurt to swap out the oil anyway, but I'm a little curious how they determined it was dirty, esp. if they were only doing an oil change.
most oil places check your diff oil and tranny fluid every time you go in for an oil change b/c they wanna get you to pay $80 for a $10 job. valvoline told my sister she needed to get hers changed in her TJ and it would be $100 for both axles... i told her to bring it to me and i'd do it for $50, haha.
post #5 of 22 Old 05-03-2006, 01:27 PM
UCTJ

1997 TJ Wrangler 

checkout www.4x4xplor.com for a detailed writeup on changing your diff fluid. I myself use brake cleaner to clean the inside of the diff out once the fluid is drained, it also helps to just run it around the block before you do the drain to warm not get it scolding hot, the gear oil...drains faster....
post #6 of 22 Old 05-03-2006, 01:42 PM
03jeeper78

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe Rubicon D44's have drain holes, but the other differentials don't.. just a fill hole. It's 30ft-lbs for the cover bolts on every diff and 25 for the fill plug on a D30.

'03 Bright Silver Metallic TJ Sport
BSMCCEP Club Member #45
Stock: 4.0L I6:5-speed:3.07 gears:D35 with Trac-Loc:15x7 Ecco wheels:Dual Top Group
Mods: 30x9.5 BFG A-T T/A KO's:JKS Quicker disconnects:Rock-It Man rocker guards:Jeep Medic oil pan/tranny skid:Kilby steering skid:Warn D30 diff guard:C4x4 D35 diff guard:Rusty's radiator guard:Skid Row LCA skids:SilverStar headlights and fogs:Hidden Hitch class III receiver:Old Realistic 40ch CB:2' Firestik II:Arizona Rocky Road tailgate antenna mount
Next : Jeeperman rear bumper

'06 Candy Orange Honda Shadow Spirit 750
post #7 of 22 Old 05-03-2006, 01:53 PM
sctigerjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03jeeper78
Maybe Rubicon D44's have drain holes, but the other differentials don't.. just a fill hole. It's 30ft-lbs for the cover bolts on every diff and 25 for the fill plug on a D30.
any fill hole is a drain hole if you have a pump. sheesh, lets be a little more technical here.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Rocky529

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctigerjeep
you shouldn't really need to use anything to get the old stuff out, just take the diff cover off and let it run into a catch pan. after all the bolts are removed, if the cover doesn't come off, just push a flat head screwdrive between the cover and the diff and pry b/c you may need to break the seal of the old RTV. use the same screwdriver to scrape all the old RTV off, then put down a new bead of RTV (i use permatex, but the brand doesn't really matter). put the cover back on and torque the bolts to 35 ft/lb (i'm pretty sure) and remove the drain plug. go ahead and buy two things of 80W90 gear oil (synthetic vs. non-synthetic is all about preference, as is brand), because one is usually just short of being enough. fill the diff via the drain plug until the oil is right underneath the hole. put the drain plug back in and be on your way.

hope that helps
You're doing a few things backwards.

I would take out the fill plug first before removing the cover to drain your fluid. I would not use a screw driver to scrape the old RTV off. Use a gasket scraper..you don't want gouges in your cover where it meets up with the differential housing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
post #9 of 22 Old 05-03-2006, 02:01 PM
RubiconSS

Look close at your diff. There will be a metal band between two of the bolts. That tag tells you the exact weight and amount of gear oil.
Very handy.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-03-2006, 02:01 PM
sctigerjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky529
You're doing a few things backwards.

I would take out the fill plug first before removing the cover to drain your fluid. I would not use a screw driver to scrape the old RTV off. Use a gasket scraper..you don't want gouges in your cover where it meets up with the differential housing.
does it really matter when you take the fill plug out? i really don't think so. all of the fluid is gonna come out when you take the cover off anyway. as for the screwdriver... well i don't have a gasket scraper, and as long as you're not putting alot of muscle into it, you're not gonna gouge it. but yes, either way works.

potatoes, potatoes.

p.s. the potatotes thing doesn't work in writing.
post #11 of 22 Old 05-03-2006, 02:05 PM
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
does it really matter when you take the fill plug out? i really don't think so. all of the fluid is gonna come out when you take the cover off anyway. as for the screwdriver... well i don't have a gasket scraper, and as long as you're not putting alot of muscle into it, you're not gonna gouge it. but yes, either way works.

potatoes, potatoes.

p.s. the potatotes thing doesn't work in writing.
That's kinda what I was thinking. Maybe he's confusing the fill plug with a drain plug... which my TJ does NOT have.

1994 Wrangler YJ
1999 Wrangler TJ [R.I.P.]
2008 Wrangler X
post #12 of 22 Old 05-03-2006, 02:09 PM
DestructoJr
The Thin Blue Line

2016 JK Wrangler 

The best way to get the old gasket off is to use a torch or a plasma cutter and shave away a small amount of metal from the cover and the housing to ensure a good clean seal afterwards or else air will get into your differentail and cause a bubble in between the gears which over time will stress them unevenly causing a massive failure

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us
post #13 of 22 Old 05-03-2006, 02:10 PM
sctigerjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchamberlin
That's kinda what I was thinking. Maybe he's confusing the fill plug with a drain plug... which my TJ does NOT have.
i was using the term fill plug interchangeably with the term drain plug since there IS only 1 plug and it can be used for both draining and filling if you have a pump.
post #14 of 22 Old 05-03-2006, 02:10 PM
03jeeper78

2003 TJ Wrangler 

You take the fill plug out first so you know that you won't have any trouble putting fluid back into your diff. That wouldn't be a very pleasant surprise if you drained all of your fluid, RTV'd, and put the cover back on to find out that for some reason you couldn't get the fill plug out!
Quote:
any fill hole is a drain hole if you have a pump. sheesh, lets be a little more technical here.
For some people, sucking the fluid out of the fill plug with a pump might be good enough, but definitely not for me, and it's certainly not the recommended approach.

BSMCCEP Club Member #45
Stock: 4.0L I6:5-speed:3.07 gears:D35 with Trac-Loc:15x7 Ecco wheels:Dual Top Group
Mods: 30x9.5 BFG A-T T/A KO's:JKS Quicker disconnects:Rock-It Man rocker guards:Jeep Medic oil pan/tranny skid:Kilby steering skid:Warn D30 diff guard:C4x4 D35 diff guard:Rusty's radiator guard:Skid Row LCA skids:SilverStar headlights and fogs:Hidden Hitch class III receiver:Old Realistic 40ch CB:2' Firestik II:Arizona Rocky Road tailgate antenna mount

post #15 of 22 Old 05-03-2006, 02:12 PM
03jeeper78

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i was using the term fill plug interchangeably with the term drain plug since there IS only 1 plug and it can be used for both draining and filling if you have a pump.
Some differentials have both a fill and a drain plug.

BSMCCEP Club Member #45

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in