Death Wobble or NOT???? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-30-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Death Wobble or NOT????

So I have a 1997 TJ with a rough country 2.5 lift and steering stabilizer and adj tracks. I have add a issue when driving about 40 mph and hit a few minor road bumps, small little road bump. If I turn left while going over the bumps my jeep goes into a sort of hop. Is this a minor death wobble? Its only happens on the right passenger side when turning slightly to the left and driving. I have read online to replace the steering stabilizer, can I test it to see if its bad. Thanks for the help on this guys!

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...-death-wobble/

Beep Beep, who got da keys to the JEEP???
Red Jeep Club #556 - "DA 4-$LANGER"
1997 Flame Red TJ 4-Banger (2.5L) 4.0 TB 62mm Bored w/ Spacer -- 31x10.50 D. Cepek "Crushers" -- 15" Black Rock Crawlers -- AEM DryFlow -- Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back -- EBC Brake System -- Rough Country 2.5" Lift w/ Discos -- RC Adj Track Bars -- Currie HD Steering -- Rugged Ridge Diff Covers - DDM 6000K HID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-30-2012, 11:30 AM
RckyMtnTJ

There is no minor death wobble. Either it's a holy crap I'm gonna die thing or not. I've never experienced death wobble turning. Only while going straight, usually hitting some sort of bump like a bridge deck or train track. I'd suspect you may have some worn out components that may develop into death wobble.

98 TJ with some stuff
post #3 of 9 Old 12-30-2012, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My steering has recently felt a little looser than usual. I am gona rotate and balance the tires and replace the stabilizer. And see if that helps.

1997 Flame Red TJ 4-Banger (2.5L) 4.0 TB 62mm Bored w/ Spacer -- 31x10.50 D. Cepek "Crushers" -- 15" Black Rock Crawlers -- AEM DryFlow -- Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back -- EBC Brake System -- Rough Country 2.5" Lift w/ Discos -- RC Adj Track Bars -- Currie HD Steering -- Rugged Ridge Diff Covers - DDM 6000K HID

post #4 of 9 Old 12-30-2012, 01:02 PM
rob78
2004 TJ Wrangler 

check control arm bushings. Trackbar mounting bolts should be tight and bushings in good shape.

Check condition of your ball joints.

Then get a balance/alignment.

Do all this before replacing steering stabilizer.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-30-2012, 06:42 PM
commander184
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Track bar

'95 SaS s10 4 door blazer (one owner) dana 44's 36's, '05 rubicon 35's 4.5 rubicon express and 9.5ti
post #6 of 9 Old 12-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

Does this happen only in 2wd? Or both. Balance or tires check and see if our track bar is worn out, also for the steering dampener u can take it off and see if u can compress it by hand if u can then that's ur problem.

As said before check ur control arm bushings I had a shaking hop with my jeep in 4x4 while turning or accelerating from a dead stop in 4x4 I got a shake and a hop kinda and it was my control arm it only did it in 4x4 tho
post #7 of 9 Old 12-30-2012, 10:54 PM
RckyMtnTJ

Both times I've had death wobble it was the track bar bushing.

98 TJ with some stuff
post #8 of 9 Old 01-08-2013, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ill check all that yes this only happens in 2wd havent tried it in 4wd. I will take off that damper and see what I can do thanks again!!!!

post #9 of 9 Old 01-08-2013, 09:04 PM
eastcoastcam
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Do a dry steering test. Have somebody turn the steering wheel back and forth enough to make the tires turn a little each way. while this is being done, watch what is going on with your front end components. any side to side movement on your tracbar means you need a new bushing there. The LCA bushings are usually good in the stock LCAs, but if this has been going on for a long time for you, it can accelerate other components' wear. A bad trac bar bushing will make your steering feel sloppy as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in