Dana 44 1350 yoke - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 Old 07-27-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
sduncan

1998 TJ Wrangler 

So everyone with an SYE and no angle on the diff end is experiencing the same thing I am? Because we all set them up the same, so we should all be having 1310 u joints with heavy wear on the trunnions due to no movement. ... follow me and where Iím going? If youíre not and your angle is the same or very similar to mine, then itís NOT a movement issue. Remember.. Iím doing less than 500 street miles and 2 off road trips...

'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 Old 07-27-2019, 07:47 PM
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sduncan View Post
So everyone with an SYE and no angle on the diff end is experiencing the same thing I am? Because we all set them up the same, so we should all be having 1310 u joints with heavy wear on the trunnions due to no movement. ... follow me and where I’m going? If you’re not and your angle is the same or very similar to mine, then it’s NOT a movement issue. Remember.. I’m doing less than 500 street miles and 2 off road trips...
You know how your suspension is set up, if going to a 1350 doesn't decrease your performance or it does just to a reasonable amount to you then I see no reason not to go to a 1350.

There's no correct angle measurement for setting the pinion, the correct angle is the one it doesn't vibe at. I had to adjust mine close to 20 times between 3* low and 1* above in 1/8th turn increments on my uppers to get it to not vibrate, and I can't tell you what my angle is because it doesn't matter. I can tell you 2* down vibed like crazy though along with the other 18 tries

I've had to change my centering ball twice, u joints in the double cardan once, and a new h yoke from rebuilding it so much in less than around 30k miles because my operating angle is at 21*. So I can definitely see hard dune and street driving with high hp taking a toll on the 1310s. Before anyone asks, I'm running the TW U joints because of the warranty, inlcuded in original price, and so I can grease them every oil change to try and maximize the life of them. I might try sealed 1310s next(I've used them before on other shafts) but I doubt it will make much of a difference.

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 21 Old 07-27-2019, 07:57 PM
astjp2
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So everyone with an SYE and no angle on the diff end is experiencing the same thing I am? Because we all set them up the same, so we should all be having 1310 u joints with heavy wear on the trunnions due to no movement. ... follow me and where Iím going? If youíre not and your angle is the same or very similar to mine, then itís NOT a movement issue. Remember.. Iím doing less than 500 street miles and 2 off road trips...

Most people have at least 1 degree because of torque when accelerating would otherwise cause vibration by twisting the axle pinion up. I have seen multiple shafts what have nice needle grooves in that pinion because the pinion never turned and the needles just vibrated and wore the pinions.

post #19 of 21 Old 07-27-2019, 08:12 PM
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by astjp2 View Post
Quote:
So everyone with an SYE and no angle on the diff end is experiencing the same thing I am? Because we all set them up the same, so we should all be having 1310 u joints with heavy wear on the trunnions due to no movement. ... follow me and where I’m going? If you’re not and your angle is the same or very similar to mine, then it’s NOT a movement issue. Remember.. I’m doing less than 500 street miles and 2 off road trips...

Most people have at least 1 degree because of torque when accelerating would otherwise cause vibration by twisting the axle pinion up. I have seen multiple shafts what have nice needle grooves in that pinion because the pinion never turned and the needles just vibrated and wore the pinions.
Did they also have equal length upper and lower control arms to get zero pinion plunge, or did they just have zero suspension movement at all times?

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

post #20 of 21 Old 07-28-2019, 07:12 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just go to 1350 at the axle. With your extra power it makes sense. I've been running that for years and no perceived downside at all. Stay with 1310s in the double cardan joint though.
post #21 of 21 Old 08-02-2019, 03:48 PM
ShawnAtTomWoods

You don't need a bigger joint, you need a new yoke. 1350 yokes for the Dana 44 exist but unless you are running a Dana 44 out of a JK a 1350 joint will end up being stronger than your differential. I can almost guarantee the problem is with the yoke itself being damaged or distorted. This a very common problem that tricks a lot of people. You can find a very good explanation of what is going on by watching this video produced by Crawl TV.

Jerry Bransford likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in