Dana 30 Issue - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 02-27-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Robocop1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Dana 30 Issue

Ok, so I just left the alignment shop and they told me my axle was bent. The camber was off almost a full point. My question is whether or not a lift changes the specs for the camber. My tires have about 20000 miles on them and there is no sign of wear. Now understand, I'm no mechanic but shouldn't there be some evidence of the front end being that far out of alignment unless the specs change due to the lift.? Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-27-2017, 07:11 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

By "full point" do you mean 1 degree?...
post #3 of 22 Old 02-27-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Robocop1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yes sir.

post #4 of 22 Old 02-27-2017, 09:31 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A suspension lift has no effect on the camber angle, that is wholely an axle thing. If the axle's not bent too badly, you can install adjustable ball joints which will allow the camber angle to be adjusted.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-27-2017, 09:45 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

My camber was off by .9 degrees, installed an offset .5 degree upper ball joint and that brought it back into spec. That was 12 years ago and its still working well...
post #6 of 22 Old 02-28-2017, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Robocop1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the info guys. The left side showed -1.8 and the right was -1.7. The did suggest replacing the upper ball joints with 1.5 degree joints to correct the issue. The lower ball joints showed a little movement so they suggested replacing them as well all for the nominal fee of $892.00. I guess I just am surprised that I haven't seen any evidence of this in tire wear. It almost seems like it would be cheaper to replace the whole axle. Any thoughts?
post #7 of 22 Old 02-28-2017, 05:34 AM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

How handy are you with doing work on your Jeep? You could probably buy all new ball joints (including the more expensive offset ones), as well as all the tools necessary to replace them, for half of what the shop wants to do the job. Should only take a couple of hours (depending on rust).
post #8 of 22 Old 02-28-2017, 06:30 AM
Loukaps

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Since your camber is even side to side there is a good chance your balljoints are just worn and replacing them with normal ones would cure the problem. Hard to believe both sides are bent the same..
TJnBC likes this.
post #9 of 22 Old 02-28-2017, 09:02 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

To say a lift has no effect on camber is technically not correct. It is true that it has no direct effect on it, but it does change caster (subject to adjustment) and changes in caster then cause changes in camber. Typically by the time people get their caster set where they are happy the camber change is not enough to worry about so it never gets discussed or addressed. Camber problem big enough to worry about it is caused by something else.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-28-2017, 01:38 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Replace the ball joints and go from there...Like one other said , be very unlikely both sides are off exactly the same.

Rent a ball joint tool and load Youtube...Ball joints are not that hard to do, just time consuming the first time. But you can save a butt load, and gain valuable knowledge doing yourself (involves Brakes, knuckles etc...)

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #11 of 22 Old 02-28-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Robocop1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Wow! That's all great info. Thanks for the help.
post #12 of 22 Old 02-28-2017, 10:26 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocop1 View Post
Thanks for the info guys. The left side showed -1.8 and the right was -1.7. It almost seems like it would be cheaper to replace the whole axle. Any thoughts?
It sounds like the axle is bent (IMO). Possibly someone jumped it?...
post #13 of 22 Old 03-01-2017, 11:13 AM
grininmonkey

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnBC View Post
..Ball joints are not that hard to do, just time consuming the first time
I wish I had your Ball Joints when i did mine....

But now that I think about it... I have a winch on the jeep now and with the use of a snatch block.... yeah.. might be way easier to pop them next go around !
post #14 of 22 Old 03-01-2017, 02:55 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grininmonkey View Post
I wish I had your Ball Joints when i did mine....

But now that I think about it... I have a winch on the jeep now and with the use of a snatch block.... yeah.. might be way easier to pop them next go around !
Done them enough that I can do one side (without any hang ups) in about 1hr. Just rent the Ball joint / ujoint tool and makes it a breeze.

having antiseize on the brake/ hub parts from the previous disassembly helps huge!

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #15 of 22 Old 03-01-2017, 03:08 PM
grininmonkey

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnBC View Post
Done them enough that I can do one side (without any hang ups) in about 1hr. Just rent the Ball joint / ujoint tool and makes it a breeze.

having antiseize on the brake/ hub parts from the previous disassembly helps huge!
I have a ball/U joint press and was using it... that wasn't the problem... I didn't have a long enough pipe for the leverage I needed for my breaker bar.. after more than 2 hours of trying this and that with ratchet straps etc on the first (top) joint.... my wife came outside all upset that it was taking me too long and got in her FJ pulled around and pressed the bumper against the breaker bar I was using and move forward and ... "Pop" it finally went. I was sorta T`ed that I didn't think of that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in