Dana 30 & 35 Problems? - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-31-2014, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
MountainManJr
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 23
Dana 30 & 35 Problems?

Recently purchased my first vehicle, 2006 Jeep TJ X 4.0 with the NSG370 Transmission. Now I've heard a lot about the dana 35 having problems, I'm not looking to do heavy off roading. but i would like to put 33s on it. Would this cause strain for the axles? And if so, what ways can i fix them, Any opinions are welcome.
Thanks

MountainManJr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 07-31-2014, 01:28 PM
JWebber
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lewisville
Posts: 1,397
Find out what gear ratio you have. That would be a start!
JWebber is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 07-31-2014, 01:41 PM
Macanator
Supporting Member
 
Macanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 53
You'll be just fine with 33" tires on the factory axles. The D35 is just fine for most of the world, it's issues really come to life when people start wheeling them hard.
I've seen 35" tires on a D35 with a Super 35 kit survive SOOOOO much that it really changed my opinion of the D35.
It's just a matter of knowing it's limitations but with 33's on a driver, you will have no issues. But you may want to consider a gear ratio change at the same time you add the tires because it will be a DOGG with the factory ratio.

Mac McMillan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

revolutiongear.com
Macanator is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 Old 07-31-2014, 02:07 PM
joe_jeep
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: hazel park, mi
Posts: 6,331
Garage
With skinny light 33s, and you taking it real easy, it might live a while. One good dump of the clutch on 33s, and all bets are off.
If you end up doing a regear, get a true trac diff, and some decent shafts, it will let the 35 live a long time.
The stock spider gears are horrible. The shafts are not great. If you get rid of those two things, it will be a fine axle.
The install of these parts should be free during a regear. For 33s with a 6sp 4.10 gears are nice. if you already got 3.73 dont bother changing them.
Good luck.

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 10-22-2015, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
MountainManJr
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post
With skinny light 33s, and you taking it real easy, it might live a while. One good dump of the clutch on 33s, and all bets are off.
If you end up doing a regear, get a true trac diff, and some decent shafts, it will let the 35 live a long time.
The stock spider gears are horrible. The shafts are not great. If you get rid of those two things, it will be a fine axle.
The install of these parts should be free during a regear. For 33s with a 6sp 4.10 gears are nice. if you already got 3.73 dont bother changing them.
Good luck.
Well i have open diffs with 3:07 gears and 33s, and two months ago i lifted her and got the tires on. Looks good but the fuel economy is killing me. I need to regear but do not have the money
Attached Images
 
MountainManJr is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 10-22-2015, 09:54 AM
s14sh3r
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Clayton
Posts: 130
Are you using 6th gear? I have 3.07's and a 5 speed. When I first bought it I used 5th gear and had to pretty much keep it floored to maintain speed in 5th. I finally stopped using 5th gear altogether, treating it like a 4 speed and I'm able to go down the road much better and my mileage improved somewhat.
s14sh3r is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 10-22-2015, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
MountainManJr
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14sh3r View Post
Are you using 6th gear? I have 3.07's and a 5 speed. When I first bought it I used 5th gear and had to pretty much keep it floored to maintain speed in 5th. I finally stopped using 5th gear altogether, treating it like a 4 speed and I'm able to go down the road much better and my mileage improved somewhat.
I can use 6th gear comfortably going down a level highway or downhill highway. Will go up slight inclines in the highway but will have to downshift into 5th eventually.
MountainManJr is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 10-22-2015, 09:07 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 21,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainManJr View Post
I can use 6th gear comfortably going down a level highway or downhill highway. Will go up slight inclines in the highway but will have to downshift into 5th eventually.
What speed do you run at on the highway?...
Knuckelhead is offline  
Reply

Tags
axle , dana 30 , dana 35 , problems

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome