D35 locker in a D30 - Page 4 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 147 Old 06-30-2010, 10:11 AM
jeepinmichguy_

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillswoj View Post
I can't believe the crap being tossed at farmkid in this thread, he would have faired better on pirate where they have a little respect for innovation.
the reason i am throwing crap at him is he is a obvious liar. he states he though of this brand new idea, 35 locker in a 30.

Quote:
Finished up about 2hrs ago. I put my Detroit EZ-Locker out of my D35 into my D30 front end. Works perfectly with no problems. Has the normal sounds of a lunchbox locker but nothing that is unbearable. Going on a big ride this weekend can't wait to see how she does on the hills
then he says this.... no idea why he thinks this but its not true.

Quote:
The only difference between a D35 and a D30 is the axle gears on a D35 are cut out for C-clips. Everything else is identical

then gets bashed a little and said his friends have been doing it no problem (right there he didnt think of it).

Quote:
There are a couple of buddies of mine that have done this in the past with no problems.
next he drive on it for 45 minutes under no stress and says it works.

Quote:
I've drove mine around for about 45min this evening. I even took it threw a ditch to flex it to see if it would stay locked in. STILL NO PROBLEMS.
Then he talks about how if it holds up it will be great (which he contradicted himself, he should actually know this already since his buddies run like that, dont you agree).

Quote:
I'm going to let everybody know how it does this weekend because if it doesn't break at this park then it probably will be an idea that somone else could benefit from I'll let you know
so in a nutshell dude cant tell the truth, why should i believe he actually did it anyway. if someone wants to do it on there rig fine. i would rather spend $225 on an aussie with the correct part number and know i have the right thing going in there. i can not set up gears and i know most people cant so buying the correct lb locker will be cheaper then getting the front end rebuild because you wanted to try something like that.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 147 Old 06-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Jetscuh
O rly?
1968 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breckboarder55 View Post
Different size:
ring gear diameter
pinion shaft diameter
axles shaft diameter
etc
I call BS.

Just kidding.

Seriously, in my mind it doesn't work.
post #48 of 147 Old 06-30-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Farmkid

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't say it was a brand new Idea. I had came up with the idea about a year ago and some of my buddies tried it. I didn't purchase my TJ until about 5 months ago so I myself couldn't try it first hand until now. If you can't read a mic or a dial indicator or even set a ring and pinion up what buisness is it of your to bash me in this thread. There are a lot of people out there who are like me and curious as to what works and what doesn't. Now if it works and your out on the trail and you break your front spider or axle gear and someone happens to have a lunch box locker on hand for a D35 you will know it will work in your D30 whether you leave it in there or not thats your decision.

post #49 of 147 Old 06-30-2010, 12:12 PM
bigbike
1995 XJ Cherokee 

post #50 of 147 Old 06-30-2010, 12:18 PM
jeepinmichguy_

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmkid View Post
I didn't say it was a brand new Idea. I had came up with the idea about a year ago and some of my buddies tried it. I didn't purchase my TJ until about 5 months ago so I myself couldn't try it first hand until now. If you can't read a mic or a dial indicator or even set a ring and pinion up what buisness is it of your to bash me in this thread. There are a lot of people out there who are like me and curious as to what works and what doesn't. Now if it works and your out on the trail and you break your front spider or axle gear and someone happens to have a lunch box locker on hand for a D35 you will know it will work in your D30 whether you leave it in there or not thats your decision.
im not getting banned again for arguing with someone like you

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
post #51 of 147 Old 06-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Louie4
Web Wheeler

1935 CJ2A 

I know the EZ locker in my D35 with special BOM 605528 won't fit in my D30 because the O.D. on the side pieces is too large. I know that because I got the wrong locker in the first place. Call me crazy but I would rather buy the one designated for my particular axle.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Louie4; 06-30-2010 at 12:31 PM.
post #52 of 147 Old 06-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Jetscuh
O rly?
1968 FSJ Wagoneer 

Leave it to the XJ guy.

post #53 of 147 Old 06-30-2010, 12:24 PM
jeepinmichguy_

2006 TJ Wrangler 

and when you read through the thread you see another guy saying that the aussie wouldnt fit when he was sent the wrong one. also the op talks about how you can not exchange parts between the 2 different lockers (30/35) which again tells me more differences. i would rather be safe and spend a little more money than be sorry.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
post #54 of 147 Old 06-30-2010, 12:41 PM
srlbotanical

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The haters have been active on JF lately it seems....

This comes down to the spider gears and the OP is right in a number of ways. The spiders in a 30 and 35 are the same size, the only difference between the two is the axle shaft diameter. the d35 shafts are .020 fatter.

So, the main issue here is that a d35 lunchbox that is fit into a d30 case will have .020 of play within the splines of the shafts. So things are going to wear pretty quickly up there...

What I hope people learn from this: Why do we have the tendency to immediately discount somthing "unconventional" that someone tried? These are jeeps, if everyone waited around for others, nothing would ever improve or change... Most of the aftermarket parts that we all love so much came from someone thinking to themselves "I wonder if this would work...?"

Two Trackers 4WD Club

Wheeling in West Michigan for over 35 years.

HIGHER POWERED!!
post #55 of 147 Old 06-30-2010, 12:42 PM
jeepinmichguy_

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srlbotanical View Post
The haters have been active on JF lately it seems....

This comes down to the spider gears and the OP is right in a number of ways. The spiders in a 30 and 35 are the same size, the only difference between the two is the axle shaft diameter. the d35 shafts are .020 fatter.

So, the main issue here is that a d35 lunchbox that is fit into a d30 case will have .020 of play within the splines of the shafts. So things are going to wear pretty quickly up there...
What I hope people learn from this: Why do we have the tendency to immediately discount somthing "unconventional" that someone tried? These are jeeps, if everyone waited around for others, nothing would ever improve or change... Most of the aftermarket parts that we all love so much came from someone thinking to themselves "I wonder if this would work...?"
nuff said. i dont consider it hating, do you want to be on the trail with this guy in the middle of nowhere? i dont. do you want your family driving down the road by him if it has a hard core failure? i dont. maybe it will work and i could be wrong but if it was so fool proof i think the locker companies would have saved a lil cash and just made one universal model rather than getting all the machinary required for seperate models.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
post #56 of 147 Old 06-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The D30 and D35 axle shafts are both 1.18" according to Dana.

I have never verified this myself.
post #57 of 147 Old 06-30-2010, 12:53 PM
srlbotanical

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
nuff said. i dont consider it hating, do you want to be on the trail with this guy in the middle of nowhere? i dont. do you want your family driving down the road by him if it has a hard core failure? i dont. maybe it will work and i could be wrong but if it was so fool proof i think the locker companies would have saved a lil cash and just made one universal model rather than getting all the machinary required for seperate models.

Whatever man...

Nothing on my Jeep is fool proof. That's an unrealistic expectation IMO.

And I'd be happy to wheel with this kid, I know he can break down an axle alright.

Two Trackers 4WD Club

HIGHER POWERED!!
post #58 of 147 Old 06-30-2010, 12:55 PM
srlbotanical

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
The D30 and D35 axle shafts are both 1.18" according to Dana.

I have never verified this myself.
I thought the 35 was 1.18 and the 30 was 1.16...

Now I'm going to need to measure my spares when I get home...

Two Trackers 4WD Club

HIGHER POWERED!!
post #59 of 147 Old 06-30-2010, 12:56 PM
jeepinmichguy_

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srlbotanical View Post

Whatever man...

Nothing on my Jeep is fool proof. That's an unrealistic expectation IMO.

And I'd be happy to wheel with this kid, I know he can break down an axle alright.
installing a luchbox locker is hardly a science. not much of an axle is. i can do everthing but set up a ring and pinion. give me a spare axle to run through a few times and i could figure that out. there is a good write up on here. its a matter of taking the time to learn. and just cause he knows what tools to use doesnt mean he can set a r/p, heck i know what is all needed my wife helped me disassemble her front axle when we installed the aussie because she wanted to learn. and you right nothing on a jeep is fool proof but there are some things that are foolish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
post #60 of 147 Old 06-30-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Farmkid

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tags
dana 30 , dana 35 , locker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in