Custom Reverse Lights? - Page 9 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 184 Old 10-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Slithering_Joe

2014 JK Wrangler 

Here is one way to do it with a simple single pole single throw (SPST) switch. The diagram shows how it can be spliced into the existing TJ wiring. It allows manual control and transmission control over the rear lamps.

Here is how spliced mine into the existing circuit by using a Contura 3-position ON-OFF-ON double pole double throw (DPDT) switch I got from Jim at www.otrattw.com. It allows one to (a) turn ON the lamps manually and independent of the ignition switch or the transmission switch, (b) turn the rear lamps ON only with the transmission in reverse and (c) turn OFF the lamps completely (disabled).

Parts Used:

Automotive wiring, female terminals (Autozone or similar)

Relay:

Note the 87-87 terminals. Eliminates the need to splice.
Available at www.rallylights.com

Inline Fuse holder (Autozone or similar)

Add-a-Circuit Fuse holder (Autozone or similar)

Contura DPDT, 3-position ON-OFF-ON Switch, w/ independent LED lamps

Mailing labels, MS Word, CAD or Image editing software, Laser/Ink-Jet Printer (Staples, Office Depot, similar)

Beer.

- 2014 JKU Sahara
- 1998 TJ Sport (rusted away)

Last edited by Slithering_Joe; 10-20-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: forgot the beer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 184 Old 10-20-2008, 12:02 PM
kb13

YASD (Yet Another Simplified Diagram)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2959176784/
post #123 of 184 Old 10-20-2008, 12:20 PM
KennyTJ

OK, The factory uses a 10amp fuse for in the reverse lamp circuit. I swapped the tail lights to 4" LEDs using the 2-wire set-up. I can run the reverse light leg of the 3-wire connector to a fog lamp, utilizing the factory wiring.

55w fog lamp (x2) = 110w

110w/12voltz = 9.16amp

So why can I not use a 55w, or less, fog lamp plugged into the factory wiring harness???

35w fogs are only 5.8amps!

post #124 of 184 Old 10-20-2008, 12:39 PM
HTOR

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyTJ View Post
OK, The factory uses a 10amp fuse for in the reverse lamp circuit. I swapped the tail lights to 4" LEDs using the 2-wire set-up. I can run the reverse light leg of the 3-wire connector to a fog lamp, utilizing the factory wiring.

55w fog lamp (x2) = 110w

110w/12voltz = 9.16amp

So why can I not use a 55w, or less, fog lamp plugged into the factory wiring harness???

35w fogs are only 5.8amps!
i run mine w/o a relay.

Folks are worried about the wiring not holding up and melting.

But in reality, how the F long are you going to be in reverse anyways.

If you can build it, i will break it.
Team Crazy, and Mr Diameter Custom Machine.
"More Balls than you can shake your nuts at."
Jeep 1: 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport - Its got goodies:)
Jeep 2: 1995 Jeep Grand Chero Limited - Its gonna go fast.
post #125 of 184 Old 10-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Slithering_Joe

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTOR View Post
i run mine w/o a relay.

Folks are worried about the wiring not holding up and melting.

But in reality, how the F long are you going to be in reverse anyways.
What happens if the relay or switch fails in the ON position without you knowing it? The idea to a design is to support the possibility that something like that may occur. If your circuit pulls 10 amps, your circuit better support 10 amps regardless. Rear lights come in handy at times too so why not?!

- 2014 JKU Sahara
post #126 of 184 Old 10-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Slithering_Joe

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb13 View Post
Click free, using a SPDT switch:

- 2014 JKU Sahara
post #127 of 184 Old 10-20-2008, 01:10 PM
HTOR

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithering_Joe View Post
What happens if the relay or switch fails in the ON position without you knowing it? The idea to a design is to support the possibility that something like that may occur. If your circuit pulls 10 amps, your circuit better support 10 amps regardless. Rear lights come in handy at times too so why not?!
I can agree here.
However in my case i just use mine for reverse lighting only, which is why i did it they way i did.

If you can build it, i will break it.
Team Crazy, and Mr Diameter Custom Machine.
"More Balls than you can shake your nuts at."
Jeep 1: 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport - Its got goodies:)
Jeep 2: 1995 Jeep Grand Chero Limited - Its gonna go fast.
post #128 of 184 Old 10-20-2008, 01:32 PM
KennyTJ

Does anyone know what wattage the factory bulbs are???

The fuse in the factory harness is 10 amp and it's designed to be the weak link, so the wiring should be 125% to 150% of that rating.

Looks like the guys that post up they are burning up wiring are adding more lights to the factory harness or running them with a switch for manual on.

I just need to replace the OEM reverse lights since the LED have none. I'm looking for some 35w "small" size fogs and am planning on using the factory set-up.
post #129 of 184 Old 10-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Slithering_Joe

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyTJ View Post
Does anyone know what wattage the factory bulbs are???

The fuse in the factory harness is 10 amp and it's designed to be the weak link, so the wiring should be 125% to 150% of that rating.

Looks like the guys that post up they are burning up wiring are adding more lights to the factory harness or running them with a switch for manual on.

I just need to replace the OEM reverse lights since the LED have none. I'm looking for some 35w "small" size fogs and am planning on using the factory set-up.
According to Sylvania, each 1156 bulb is rated at 2.1A @ 13V (~27W).

- 2014 JKU Sahara
post #130 of 184 Old 10-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Yesfan70

2018 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithering_Joe View Post
Are you asking if there is a way to control the rear lamps by way of a manual switch and by way of the reverse/back-up switch?
Yes. What I would like to be able to do is, have the option of turning off/on the aux backup lights using a front panel switch while in reverse. If I go back to a forward gear, the aux lights automatically go off with the main reverse lights whether the front panel switch is in the on/off position. In other words, they will only come on while in reverse.

Going by your drawing, it looks like one of those switches you pictured would either let me turn the lights on independently, keep them off regardless, or they come on only when in reverse. what is the advantage to that compared to what I'm initially planning? The only thing I can think of is hi-beaming tailgaters.

I appreciate yours and Htor's help. Thanks fellas.

2018 JKUR
Only in a Jeep
post #131 of 184 Old 10-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Slithering_Joe

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan70 View Post
Yes. What I would like to be able to do is, have the option of turning off/on the aux backup lights using a front panel switch while in reverse. If I go back to a forward gear, the aux lights automatically go off with the main reverse lights whether the front panel switch is in the on/off position. In other words, they will only come on while in reverse...
I think I get you now. Yes you can do that very easily. Very similar to the diagram kb13 provided. If you use the single pole double throw (SPDT) switch, don't hook up the "From ignition on" part of the switch. If you use a SPST switch just wire the switch to the factory reverse switch. I modified one of my drawings to better explain.

Update: rear aux lamps will only come on when the aux switch is on AND the transmission is in reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan70 View Post
...Going by your drawing, it looks like one of those switches you pictured would either let me turn the lights on independently, keep them off regardless, or they come on only when in reverse. what is the advantage to that compared to what I'm initially planning? The only thing I can think of is hi-beaming tailgaters.

I appreciate yours and Htor's help. Thanks fellas.
The advantage to the way I have mine wired up is I can turn them on when parked without the ignition keys. Maybe you need to illuminate an area that is behind the Jeep at night. I don't have to be in reverse and I don't need the keys. Bonus: tailgaters get the idea too. If I really wanted to, (which I haven't done) I could place red lenses around the rear lamps and use them as rear fog lamps. Many European made vehicles have rear fog lamps in red.

- 2014 JKU Sahara

Last edited by Slithering_Joe; 10-20-2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Added wiring diagram
post #132 of 184 Old 10-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Yesfan70

2018 JK Wrangler 

I might wire them up the same way you have yours. I do like the idea of if I need some lighting I don't have to start the Jeep or set the tranny in reverse.

One more question. Will LEDs be better than you typical fog light? I'm assuming it will be a lighter load on the reverse light circuit, but then again, if I wire it the way you did yours that won't matter will it?

Now to find some lights that will fit behind my spare tire. The space between my spokes is about 2-2.5". Are there lights that are that small and inexpensive?

Again, I appreciate the help. Thanks.

2018 JKUR
Only in a Jeep
post #133 of 184 Old 10-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Slithering_Joe

2014 JK Wrangler 

Short explaination with my opinion:
LED's do not project a lot of light. They may appear bright but they do not "flood" an area like your typical incandescent/halogen lamp does and return good reflection. Also, the bluish-white coloring of LEDs throws off you preception too. I just don't like them. I'm not crazy about the LED flashlights either. Good LED ones are expensive.
post #134 of 184 Old 10-21-2008, 10:49 AM
yellowismellow
Custom User Title

2006 TJ Wrangler 

does anyone have pics of where and how they ran all their wiring. i have my lights mounted on top on my stock bumper. i have a 5 pin relay, and an on-off-on switch. i understand the scematics, just wanna see some pics of where all this stuff is going.

2006 TJ Sport
2004 WJ Special Edition
post #135 of 184 Old 10-21-2008, 10:33 PM
yellowismellow
Custom User Title

2006 TJ Wrangler 

stu? bueler?

2006 TJ Sport
2004 WJ Special Edition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in