Currie/JKS/RE Control Arms? - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 09-29-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
RandyEpisodes

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Currie/JKS/RE Control Arms?

Looking to buy a set of adjustable rear upper CA's to install with my new CV shaft. I've been comparing the Currie Johnnie Joint ($340), JKS J-Axis ($310) and RE Superflex ($240). The only major difference I can see is the Curries have joints at both ends while the JKS/RE have bushings on one end and joints at the other. Are there any other major differences? I had the RE's on my previous TJ and never had an issue with them, any reason to pony up the extra $70-100 for the Curries or JKS?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 09-29-2017, 08:31 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The design and quality of the joints themselves is very different. I will never install an arm with anything but a real JJ in it.
coach-mike and RDaniel2405 like this.
post #3 of 39 Old 09-29-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
RandyEpisodes

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
The design and quality of the joints themselves is very different. I will never install an arm with anything but a real JJ in it.
Can you elaborate a bit on the design differences/issues presented by each? This jeep is mainly my DD and only sees mild/moderate wheeling once a month or so. Are the differences most apparent offroad or under normal driving?

post #4 of 39 Old 09-29-2017, 09:13 AM
LJ Dave
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I never had any issues with the RE superflex joints, but the crappy design of the hourglass rubber bushing meant I had to replace them every 5k miles. I had an older RE lift on my XJ that never had any issues when they used to use the OEM style rubber bushings, but they really went downhill with the newer bushing design. I ended up replacing all 8 of my RE arms with Rokmen arms. They use Currie Johnny joints on both ends, just like the Currie arms, but at the time were a little less expensive.

2005 Rubicon LJ 4.5 inches of lift, 35's
post #5 of 39 Old 09-29-2017, 10:07 AM
JimSmith
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Going to throw another decent CA at you....Take a look at the Core 4x4 tier two arms, Currie Johnny Joints on one end with rubber or poly bushings on the other end rear uppers will be $215 with shipping

https://core4x4.lunasoft.com/core4x4...6/tier-two-19/
rbaucom7266 likes this.

'98 Chili Pepper 2.5, AX5, 33x12.5x15, 5.13, D30 Aussie, Super 35
post #6 of 39 Old 09-29-2017, 10:19 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

no problems with my RE superflex arms on 2 jeeps. Both jeeps were only driven to trails and wheeled almost every weekend. Never an issue, every so often just have to tighten the Flex joints.

You are going to get a mix of opinions on what to get. If what you have been using in the past has worked, why change , if not needed.

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #7 of 39 Old 09-29-2017, 11:28 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

jks arms are a gimmick that dont allow lateral movement and use rubber bushings
RE arms use rubber bushings

currie/savvy/MC and several others use quality joints that dont require regular maintenance or replacement while allowing the maximum amount of rotation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 39 Old 09-29-2017, 11:51 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
jks arms are a gimmick that dont allow lateral movement and use rubber bushings
RE arms use rubber bushings

currie/savvy/MC and several others use quality joints that dont require regular maintenance or replacement while allowing the maximum amount of rotation.
JJs don't require maintenance...first I have heard of that. I should get these magical bushings!

post #9 of 39 Old 09-29-2017, 12:09 PM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnBC View Post
JJs don't require maintenance...first I have heard of that. I should get these magical bushings!
They need a squirt of grease every so often. That's it. However, if you neglect them, they still function fine with no damage, just a little squeaky until you grease them again.
post #10 of 39 Old 09-29-2017, 12:37 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
They need a squirt of grease every so often. That's it. However, if you neglect them, they still function fine with no damage, just a little squeaky until you grease them again.
So they never get loose ? Wear out ? They just last FOREVER?

Thanks

post #11 of 39 Old 09-29-2017, 12:43 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So they never get loose ? Wear out ? They just last FOREVER?

Thanks
It takes a long time. There are arms on mine that are close to 10 years old and they've gotten a shot of grease maybe once or twice a year. Still as tight as the day they were installed as far as I can tell. Only joints I have had any detectable wear on have been the axle side front uppers. Any amount of DW or even out of balance tires can be very hard on them.
TJnBC and RDaniel2405 like this.
post #12 of 39 Old 09-29-2017, 12:45 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
It takes a long time. There are arms on mine that are close to 10 years old and they've gotten a shot of grease maybe once or twice a year. Still as tight as the day they were installed as far as I can tell. Only joints I have had any detectable wear on have been the axle side front uppers. Any amount of DW or even out of balance tires can be very hard on them.
thanks Biff.

I have heard otherwise locally here. That's why I asked. Obviously different environments/climate may dictate life of the bushing.

post #13 of 39 Old 09-29-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
RandyEpisodes

2005 TJ Wrangler 

4 wheel parts has the curries on sale for $306 with free shipping. Looks like I'm gonna go that route. Thanks for the replies
post #14 of 39 Old 09-29-2017, 02:20 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
thanks Biff.

I have heard otherwise locally here. That's why I asked. Obviously different environments/climate may dictate life of the bushing.
Not significantly, mine get used in as harsh of an environment as anyone's do. Dry dirty rocky trails. Mine are 12 years old and still tight, I have greased them maybe twice. Those who disagree are those who don't own them, they're just repeating what they read on the intraweb.

Gone to Florida 7/19-7/28.
When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #15 of 39 Old 09-29-2017, 02:29 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Not significantly, mine get used in as harsh of an environment as anyone's do. Dry dirty rocky trails. Mine are 12 years old and still tight, I have greased them maybe twice. Those who disagree are those who don't own them, they're just repeating what they read on the intraweb.
Yeah my experience isn't personally on my rig (as I didn't like the ride and got something different). This is from 2 of my wheeling buddies who wheel hard.

I will definitely say your environment is ALOT different than us up here in the Rainforest. Not sure how you can say yours is the harshest environments lol... You see dry weather almost year round , where we see 8months of RAIN. This leads to wet, muddy, trails for almost all year round. That will affect the life of ANY bushing significantly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in