Currie CA's can't adjust enough for the new ultra-high TC skid - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 12-27-2010, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
ImaginaryFriend

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Currie CA's can't adjust enough for the new ultra-high TC skid

Well it seems that I can't get the rear dialed in with this new UCF ultra-high clearance skid and Currie control arms. I have the lower arms as short as possible and the uppers are out their max of 3/4" thread showing. I still have a 3-4 degree difference between the DS and pinion. The pinion still needs to point further up.

Any thoughts? I'd rather not have to buy new arms. Is it really unsafe to go past the 3/4" recommendation of Currie? Not sure how much more extension would be needed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-27-2010, 12:50 PM
WV-TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Been seeing alot about this lately, but I have not had to deal with it. One solution may be to take the lower arms off and cut maybe a half inch off of the threaded female end and reinstall. That should give you more adjustment. I still do not know why currie does not make their arms just a little bit longer.
post #3 of 28 Old 12-27-2010, 12:57 PM
dcope17

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You can prolly get away with more than 3/4 thread showing on the UCAs cause you should never have the vehicle weight sitting on the like you do the lowers when your hung up on them.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 Old 12-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Before you start cutting anything I would call Currie, wait for Blaine to chime in, and/or read the other threads about this. Just to confirm your lower arms are Currie as well?

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cu...ssion-1144932/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 28 Old 12-27-2010, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
ImaginaryFriend

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, all Currie arms (from Savvy). They had plenty of adjustment for my super short SYE and stock skid, but not with my new UCF skid.

I've read some other threads about Currie arms being short, but it seems like most were trying to run the lowers at stock length or longer.

I definitely am not cutting anything.

I'll wait for Blaine's input. I guess Currie makes them at custom lengths too?
post #6 of 28 Old 12-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd call Currie! I have always had great customer service from them. Are you running Currie springs also? With the changes are your rear wheels centered in the wheel wells?

post #7 of 28 Old 12-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Do you have vibes? Try driving it. I had to lower my pinion on the LJ cause there was a slight vibe I couldn't get out until I lowered the pinion angle. Otherwise, bring the lowers in one turn and look at it and drive it.

SAVVY OFF ROAD - Winner of the King of the Hammers Everyman Challenge FIVE years in a row!

Email me for the fastest response:

Like us on Facebook

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee

2003 TJ Project Unrolled

post #8 of 28 Old 12-27-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
ImaginaryFriend

2001 TJ Wrangler 

BDS 3" springs. I haven't driven it yet, since I was trying to get the angles to match. I can't move the lowers in any further.

I haven't bothered with centering the rear wheels since I have to run the lowers as short as possible to get even this close (3-4 degrees off).
post #9 of 28 Old 12-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Drive it to see if you have any vibes. If not you'll be good to go! I've notice on the last two Jeeps that I needed the pinion to be lower than I thought.

Gerald

SAVVY OFF ROAD - Winner of the King of the Hammers Everyman Challenge FIVE years in a row!

Email me for the fastest response:

Like us on Facebook

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee

2003 TJ Project Unrolled

post #10 of 28 Old 12-27-2010, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
ImaginaryFriend

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the pointers, I really do appreciate it.

I'm just the OCD type. Since I've been told to set the angles to match (or maybe pinion 1 degree lower for axle wrap) I can't help but think that even without vibes I'm not doing it "correctly" and I'm causing wear and tear.

This is still my DD and things like this don't help my mental issues!
post #11 of 28 Old 12-27-2010, 05:58 PM
viperbluelx

1980 CJ7 

This is not what I need to hear.
post #12 of 28 Old 12-27-2010, 06:20 PM
4.0l sahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

rokmen has cv upper arms that are longer and have jj's at both ends.
post #13 of 28 Old 12-27-2010, 07:04 PM
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0l sahara View Post
rokmen has cv upper arms that are longer and have jj's at both ends.
So does Currie. Just pick up the phone during business hours and let them know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Your shaft isn't long enough to handle that kind of droop...
2003 TJ Rubicon:

2017 JKU Rubicon:
post #14 of 28 Old 12-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Stonz

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have the UHC UCF stuff, new rear DS in the garage. New Currie CAs should be here Wed.
.....waiting to hear more on this

06 Rubicon,BL,35s,alot of Currie,Rokmen,Savvy,UCF TT,Tom Woods,winch,brake upgrade,antirock,outboard Ranchos, coil reloc, etc
On-On!
post #15 of 28 Old 12-27-2010, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
ImaginaryFriend

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well, it's vibe free at it's current setting. Drove around the block a few times and I set the frame up on jack stands and let the rear axle droop as far as the shocks allow. I spun everything by hand and in gear running and I can't see or feel anything binding. Looks pretty smooth actually, even at uneven angles.

Should I just leave it at this point? If I have no vibes should I worry about the uneven angles (3-4 degrees off)? It still bothers me a bit though. I'll take a look at it again tomorrow and see if slightly longer UCA's will put my mind at ease.

Now I have a click-click when driving. I can't get it to do it on jack stands, but I think my 2 u-joints at my rear CV end of the DS are a little loose and maybe making the sounds (I can barely wiggle them, but they are loose since I can get a tiny amount of movement). The axle end u-joint was really loose so I just went out an hour or so ago and replaced that one. Funny, I never noticed them being loose before. It definitely seems to be coming from the rear, and it will do it even when barely moving up my drive in first gear.

I guess the higher angles made things move a little differently and now they are making noises? They were noise free a couple days ago before the tummy tuck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in