Crashed it... Heartbroken - JeepForum.com
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 Old 10-17-2021, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Trespasser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Crashed it... Heartbroken

Someone cut out in front of me this week and I couldn't avoid hitting them. Totally thier fault, they had a stop sign and I did not. Older driver, she walked away thanks to side airbags.

However, with my Jeep being 24 years old fixing it won't be straight forward. I'm being told it will likely total out and I'll have to buy it back as salvage and get a rebuilt title (live in PA).

Getting it towed to Jeff Daniels Jeep tomorrow for assessment but I'm also inclined to try to source some parts myself from part-outs if I can find for example a hood in my color in good condition, to save money overall because the payout likely won't cover what this will actually cost.

It doesn't look to me like the frame is bent, but I do see the lower control arm bolt and bracket are bent at the front axle. If that bracket can't be repaired I'll need a donor axle with 3.55 ratio which isn't common because TJs only had that for one year. Hoping there isn't more underlying damage... Looks like maybe I dodged a bullet with the frame though.

If anyone starts parting a green TJ with good paint, let me know. Nothing on ebay or Craigslist fits the bill at the moment.

Any other tips from someone who went through something similar?

Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20211015_201818981_1634481020929.jpg   PXL_20211013_205922485_1634481113438.jpg   PXL_20211013_201248846_1634481179754.jpg   PXL_20211015_201731468_1634481206144.jpg   PXL_20211015_201151101_1634481244614.jpg  

PXL_20211015_200950086_1634481320286.jpg   PXL_20211013_200719833_1634481424541.jpg  
Wyo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 10-17-2021, 10:46 AM
TJosh02

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
That really sucks! Time to turn her into a buggy!

'02 TJ 4L 5spd
post #3 of 60 Old 10-17-2021, 10:47 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Glad everyone (persons) involved is OK, vehicles dont look so good. For parts, check out, daveysjeeps.com, a few hours from you in Salem OH, their business is parting out jeeps.

Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx

post #4 of 60 Old 10-17-2021, 10:54 AM
Jeepsr4me

DO NOT LET THEM BUY IT OUT AS A TOTAL

I have repaired a lot of jeeps similar to yours. 1st the cost to repair is on HER insurance. She at fault so what ever it takes to make you happy is what they do. They dont want you suing later for a simple payout now.

If it was mine. I would buy some nice flat fenders that are already painted, this is just to change up the look a little. But a fender and flare that match yours can be sourced.
The bracket on the axle can be cut off and a new one welded on. VERY SIMPLE, can get away with just putting one on but I do both .. Artec https://www.artecindustries.com/tjflcamount-hs.
The hood can be repaired. That front bumper, just get a better one that cost a couple dollars more and a million times more stout.

Her insurance has to give you either the whole cost to repair. Around here they us to make ya get 3 estimates, but with the new claims method, you just take a bunch of pics and they send you a check.

DO NOT LET THEM BUY IT OUT AS A TOTAL. You can demand they fix it no matter the cost. I have 2 relatives that have been in the insurance adjusting for decades and I always ask them for advice before any insurance problems. They will make you sign release but will pay up to the whole cost to repair plus rental car.. Its not like you did this on purpose and making you whole is what insurance is for. Not one dime will come from that lady other than her deductible.
Kickstart and Wyo like this.
post #5 of 60 Old 10-17-2021, 11:08 AM
Jeepsr4me

If they buy it outright, and you buy back that title will be branded salvage which around here is nearly impossible to get a rebuilt title.

The jeep is yours and they can not salvage it. They can state it was in a major wreck but not salvaged.
You did the right thing posting here. Plenty of folks that can give advice to move the process in the direction you want. But no way in hell would I let them buy it and me ge it back from them. That is a suckers purchase. One they bought the liability from you so you can no demand it to be fixed. Then they dont have to store it, transport it, and auction it off. So they come out on top 99& of time. Demand they fix it at the shop YOU want not theirs. They will ask if you want a cash pay out to clear the claim. If you happy do so then. My advisors tell me they want claims cleared in 30 days MAX. They normally offer you a good settlement up front just so you sign. There is a wiggle room but dont get greedy.
Rental car is also included for 30days normally. If you dont want to fix it or the hassle to fix POST in your local area and sale it outright. It will be sold faster than it takes me to type all this. Then pocket that money and the claim money.
Wyo likes this.
post #6 of 60 Old 10-17-2021, 11:19 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
log as the frame is not bent, those pics dont show much really. The axles Cs I would check as that side took enough force to bend a mount could bend the C and changes in caster side to side or camber. The other mount should be well looked at as those can come off just wheeling.

But even if does not a need a d30, they are common used and low enough cost really. Heck i have bent and ripped more brackets then that wheeling from axles and frames. Its all fixable, just need to know how to weld or pay someone to do it.

The brackets dont cost much really. heck i just ripped the lower frame control arm front from the frame. and the replacement after market made from .25 plate not 1/8. for both side was under $100 shipped to me. I always use Artic or Synergy for fab parts or others. it depends on if you have a choice and design. from there its just welding.

Your air bag go off? That can add to them saying its totaled. those parts are expensive too depending on the system in the Tj?
Wyo likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 60 Old 10-17-2021, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Trespasser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the supportive posts so far.

Airbags did not deploy (thankfully... Probably would have messed me up good if it did).

So it was towed from the scene to a tow yard near my house. I did what I thought was right and called my insurance that day (I have collision on it) to start the claim going.

Now I'm wondering what options I even have. According to the agent, even if I cancel the claim once they rule it a total loss the state will be notified and the title affected.

I'm sick over this whole thing.

I feel like my own insurance company became my worst enemy if this happens. I should have gone directly after the opposing insurance company on my own? I don't even have the contact info of the other driver- police showed up and next thing I knew everyone was gone. They said a report would be available in a week and maybe that would have the info.

If an adjuster hasn't ruled on the vehicle yet, should I try to pull my claim? If I do that, do I forfeit the right to do it later if I want?

I didn't let them take it to their yard, it is pending a tow to my shop. I did send in a few pics similar to what I posted here.

They said I'd basically be paid out and then my insurance would settle with her insurance for my deductible and pay me out for that as well.

BUT the issue of insurance being required to inform the state of a total loss (IF that happens) makes me think I've screwed this up already.
post #8 of 60 Old 10-17-2021, 12:36 PM
Jeepsr4me

Your insurance will not pay out unless the other driver does not have it. So dont worry about that.

They can try to total it, but the salvage title is if you give them that signed over form doing so. Demand it be fixed. They will do it. Then when the claim gets older they will just pay out a check to clear the claim. Them filing that it was a total will not automatically turn it salvage. Total is a industry term here that means the damage exceeded a set amount of value. Vale right now is HIGH on used cars so you got room to stay under that % of total value. I am fixer of things and like to do most if not all the work so I always take the payout and sign over any future claims. So make sure you get every part needed to repair your jeep in the adjustment. Frame time should be 1 hour at most, just to check and pull if needed. I have seen way worse hits right on the cross member up front that barely bent the frame. The frame is TOUGH.. As in cherry red with a portapower on it to get a 1 inch bend out. The police report will have her info, but rest assured her insurance will contact you in short order. They want to make you happy quickly and move on. Its a numbers game for them.

Let them know up front you want to keep your jeep and have it back to road condition as it has sentimental value, which means to them, you may sue.. They dont like that.
Wyo likes this.
post #9 of 60 Old 10-17-2021, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Trespasser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Should I keep my claim in play with my own insurance?

Or attempt to cancel it and go after the 3rd party insurance on my own?

Also... When I talked to my insurance agent this week she said if it was ruled a total loss the state would automatically (and legally have to be) notified and the title would become salvage. That seems different than what you folks are saying. I don't understand why she would say that if it wasn't true and keeping the title untouched is an option.
post #10 of 60 Old 10-17-2021, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Trespasser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Also btw thanks again everyone. This is making my head spin, the fact that it isn't just about fixing the Jeep but I also feel like I'm fighting to keep it street-legal for minor damage if my insurance does somehow screw me over with the title.
post #11 of 60 Old 10-17-2021, 02:23 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Were you hurt?
Find an attorney

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #12 of 60 Old 10-17-2021, 04:43 PM
PDoyle

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Get the police report. Call the police today to see if the report is available. Make sure the report is correct. Contact the insurance company of the person who hit you.( Probably should have grabbed that info. at the scene)Tell them your jeep is going to your body shop to get fixed and then tell them you need a rental vehicle to get to work...
Wyo likes this.

2003 X, 5 speed, FT/RR bumpers by Eddie Reighard. JKS 1" body lift, JKS disco's, 2 1/2" Rough Country lift, 8k Warn, w/class 3 receiver FT & RR hitch. GA 8 rims riding 33's- GY Kevlar.
SOLD- 1985 CJ7 soft top , fiberglass body, 5" total lift258-6- Howell TBI, Full Roll cage.
post #13 of 60 Old 10-17-2021, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Trespasser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Noone was hurt (thankfully).

I logged onto my insurance website and it already shows claim as Total Loss. I guess they went off the pictures. Ugh.

Now the question is can I fight this determination, which leads to salvage title. I'd accept less money to avoid it, but I don't know if they can negotiate in that manner.

Evidently calling my insurance and sending them pictures has screwed me over. I should have just contacted the other driver's insurance- I don't think they would have been able to "total" my vehicle in the same manner.

Wondering if I cancel my claim if it still gets the Salvage title... Probably. According to my insurance agent it would.
post #14 of 60 Old 10-18-2021, 06:59 AM
superj

1999 XJ Cherokee 

almost every time we have been hit, our insurance ended up screwing us more than helping us. i feel that they are just there to take your money and don't care about you when you need the help.

a salvage here in south texas means almost nothing. it might mean something in your state though. if you plan on keeping the jeep, it for sure means nothing. and if you have it for many years after it becomes a salvage title, the salvage stamp means even less. i have had cars that had salvage titles and drove them for 3-5 years and than resold for the going rate of non-salvage because i had driven them for so long and could explain exactly what made it salvage and what it took to fix it, as you will be able to do.

my first bmw was hit the same way as your jeep and they put a salvage title on it.

the xj is the only jeep left in the driveway
post #15 of 60 Old 10-18-2021, 07:23 AM
EricD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trespasser View Post
If that bracket can't be repaired I'll need a donor axle with 3.55 ratio which isn't common because TJs only had that for one year. Hoping there isn't more underlying damage... Looks like maybe I dodged a bullet with the frame though.
Almost every XJ I look at has a 3.55 ratio. Front axle is a direct swap.
TheBoogieman, Lockman75 and Wyo like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in