Cracked exhaust manifold symptoms?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 09-07-2003, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Sandibar

Cracked exhaust manifold symptoms??

I'm wondering what the symptoms of a cracked exhaust manifold are. About three weeks ago the engine seemed to make a slight ticking sound when underpowered (5-speed) and climbing in RPMs. Just lately I now hear the slight ticking in virtually every gear and at every speed, in time with the engine. It's slight enough I could write it off, and sometimes I have to try to hear it. Maybe it's obsessive compulsiveness, I don't know.

No other probs - no loss of power, fuel economy, etc. Haven't been playing around in 4WD either. At idle it sounds normal, even when I apply a little gas (though I am thinking I do hear it now when I apply enough RPMs).

Ideas? It's a 97 4.0, manual, all stock with 43,000 on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-07-2003, 10:22 PM
TonyTJ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

When mine cracked a while back it did the same thing as yours. When I fired it up i got a ticking sound, the sound was louder when I used gas. Also my noise went away after about 5 min, or when the motor heated up. If you have a warrenty on it still, take it to the dealer and have them put a new one on. If no warrenty, I would buy a header(Banks or Borla) instead of a new manifold and have the motor breath a little better.
HTH

'06 LJ on 33's

'12 WK2 Limited QTII 5.7L 730N Black with Light Ash Interior.

2004 GTO
404 rwhp / 396 rwtq
post #3 of 23 Old 09-07-2003, 10:23 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd say it's remarkable it has lasted 43,000 miles on it, it's very likely cracked. By the time my 36,000 mile warranty was up on my '97 TJ with a 4.0L engine, it was on its 4th and final exhaust manifold. The dealer finally installed the new improved design just as the warranty was nearly over and it's been fine since.

The symptoms you are having and hearing point to a cracked exhaust manifold... there's a darned good chance that's what it is.

Try to get the dealer or Jeep to pick up part of the cost since it is extremely well known that the exhaust manifolds in all '97 TJs and first-half '98 TJs with 4.0L engines were cracking like crazy.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 23 Old 09-07-2003, 10:31 PM
RockPaws

The Jeep 4.0L exhaust manifold has been a real problem. I have replaced them on all models back to 1989. Almost all crack in the same area. The new re-designed exhaust are susposed to be better ... only time will tell.

Its something you want to have replaced very soon. Carbon monxide gas can enter the vehicle which is dangerous. Most people don't realize this can happen. So try and do it soon.

I would look into the Banks headers.. Redrock4x4.com sell them. I am looking into doing one on my 01' after the warrenty runs out.

01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 Old 09-08-2003, 07:44 AM
gtflyer

yep!..sounds cracked to me too...do not use those crappy ebay manifolds that are like $150...they crack just as bad...seen many of those!...Step 1: look at banner ad on forum here called "Banks"

step 2: call and order header from Quadratec,4wd.com.ok4wd.com or somewhere similar

Step 3: install header and be very
post #6 of 23 Old 09-08-2003, 07:55 AM
Jim Shanks

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflyer
yep!..sounds cracked to me too...do not use those crappy ebay manifolds that are like $150...they crack just as bad...seen many of those!...Step 1: look at banner ad on forum here called "Banks"

step 2: call and order header from Quadratec,4wd.com.ok4wd.com or somewhere similar

Step 3: install header and be very
Quadratec is running 2-4 week leadtime, going to call ok4wd next. have a message into rev shop. Another symptom I hope is related to cracked header is the idle will drop ALOT when pulling up to a stop. Mine has went as low as 150-200 rpm. Still hasn't died though, kinda fun to try and get your toes over on the gas to bump it a bit when trying to stop & hold in the clutch.

Jim

"Cracked Cow" '01TonTJ2a, Solid Mfg HP60's, 5.38's, ARB's, PSC full hydro, 14" coilovers, ASD roof and doors, armored everywhere sitting on 40" Iroks.

post #7 of 23 Old 09-08-2003, 12:06 PM
gtflyer

no dice at quadratec huh Jim?...Ok4wd.com should have the banks in stock,and I am sure the rev shop probably has them too..Glad to see that finally you are going with the banks after all this time...
post #8 of 23 Old 09-08-2003, 12:25 PM
Jim Shanks

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
no dice at quadratec huh Jim?...Ok4wd.com should have the banks in stock,and I am sure the rev shop probably has them too..Glad to see that finally you are going with the banks after all this time...
It's on order! ok4wd.com, I think I stole the absolute last one, they had 2 in stock and the other one was already spoken for. Banks torque tube, magnaflow stainless hi-flow cat (lifetime warranty) and Banks stinger cat-back. $768 after shipping

Now all I have to do is hopefully get the stock POS off without breaking a bolt off in the head or finding a broken stud, etc... Wish me luck this weekend. PB Blaster is already on the factory one.

Jim

"Cracked Cow" '01TonTJ2a, Solid Mfg HP60's, 5.38's, ARB's, PSC full hydro, 14" coilovers, ASD roof and doors, armored everywhere sitting on 40" Iroks.

post #9 of 23 Old 09-08-2003, 12:37 PM
Mudder69

Mines cracked too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shanks
It's on order! ok4wd.com, I think I stole the absolute last one, they had 2 in stock and the other one was already spoken for. Banks torque tube, magnaflow stainless hi-flow cat (lifetime warranty) and Banks stinger cat-back. $768 after shipping

Now all I have to do is hopefully get the stock POS off without breaking a bolt off in the head or finding a broken stud, etc... Wish me luck this weekend. PB Blaster is already on the factory one.

Jim
Let me know how the install went. I just found out mine is cracked too. I have an '01 with 43K miles and ofcourse, no warrenty! I've been looking into the Banks Headers too. Will the headers work with stock pipes or do I need to replace everything from the headers down?

Good luck on the install and if you can take pics..please post 'em!
post #10 of 23 Old 09-08-2003, 12:54 PM
Jim Shanks

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder69
Let me know how the install went. I just found out mine is cracked too. I have an '01 with 43K miles and ofcourse, no warrenty! I've been looking into the Banks Headers too. Will the headers work with stock pipes or do I need to replace everything from the headers down?

Good luck on the install and if you can take pics..please post 'em!
The '01 is actually a different part#, from the sounds of it, some people are having difficulty getting to a couple of the bolts after install to tighten them up. Other than that, all sounds like it should be fine. They replace just the header, there is no downpipe replacement. And it bolts right to the head and the donut gasket up to the factory downpipe. Hopefully have mine before the weekend.

HTH,
Jim

post #11 of 23 Old 09-08-2003, 01:14 PM
gtflyer

nice deal Jim!..I am sure you will love it!...let us know how it all works out~Mudder...The part # for your '01 is 51306 for the banks header and it does bolt to the existing pipe.Gotta have patience with a couple of the bottom bolts as they are a major PITA,but other than that everything is smooth sailing!..
post #12 of 23 Old 09-08-2003, 02:43 PM
Mudder69

Quote:
nice deal Jim!..I am sure you will love it!...let us know how it all works out~Mudder...The part # for your '01 is 51306 for the banks header and it does bolt to the existing pipe.Gotta have patience with a couple of the bottom bolts as they are a major PITA,but other than that everything is smooth sailing!..
Thanks for the info! I plan on getting mine real soon.
post #13 of 23 Old 09-08-2003, 09:08 PM
jedi 4x4

yep, me 2

I just logged in to ask about this very problem, and there your thread was. I thought it happened because of my new high flow cat and muffler. My exhaust manifold is pretty well cracked. Back fires like crazy when I downshift. I'm going to get some headers I figure, I was looking at some by pacesetter since I dont have a lot of dough, but I havent heard much about them, just Banks, Borla, etc. Let me know how all that works out for you and if anyone has any more suggestions that would be great. thanx

- '07 JK Unlimited Sahara- Jeep Green, Hardtop, Light guards, K&N custom intake
BFG AT 33.5"'s, Flowmaster 80, etc!
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need, roads."
- Doc Brown, Back to the Future
post #14 of 23 Old 09-09-2003, 09:05 AM
Jim Shanks

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi 4x4
I just logged in to ask about this very problem, and there your thread was. I thought it happened because of my new high flow cat and muffler. My exhaust manifold is pretty well cracked. Back fires like crazy when I downshift. I'm going to get some headers I figure, I was looking at some by pacesetter since I dont have a lot of dough, but I havent heard much about them, just Banks, Borla, etc. Let me know how all that works out for you and if anyone has any more suggestions that would be great. thanx
IMO stay away from pacesetter, their products are not that good. In reality I have come to believe "learned the hard way" that you get what you pay for. Hense my recent order of Banks header, catback, and Magnaflow cat. $768 later my exhaust had better not leak and work like a charm.

Jim

post #15 of 23 Old 09-09-2003, 05:55 PM
RockPaws

I haven't seen the 01' model crack yet?
"Mudder" Where did yours crack? They were susposed to repair the expansion problem to correct this. My 01" has the 2 pre cats just below the manifold.

Usually, I have found them cracked around the collector or rear cylinder ex pipes (older models)

01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in