cooling fan not working - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-19-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
timh141
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
cooling fan not working

Hello, on my son's 2006 tj (2.4L, 6spd), i just changed installed a timing belt kit. It had 105,000 miles, i have a 2005 and mine broke at a 105,000 so i wanted to spare him getting stranded somewhere. While working on this, I noticed the engine checklight was on. The codes are P0645 (a/c), P0480, P0481 (cooling). I'm not good at diagnosing trouble, i checked the 40 amp fuse in the engine compartment, replaced hi speed/lo speed fan relays and the a/c relay. THe codes stayed, fan didn't come on. At the parts store they said one speed of the two speed motor wasn't working so i ordered a replacement fan shroud and motor from rockauto for $349. jUST FINished putting that in, and it doesn't come on. I reset the codes by disconnecting the battery cable for a bit. Still getting the three codes. Any ideas? I have run out of things to try. Thank you in advance. Doesn't seem to overheat on the highway or short trips. In the driveway when the needle got to 210 i shut off the motor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-20-2017, 07:47 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

P0645 -- A/C Clutch Relay Circuit -- An open or shorted condition detected in the A/C clutch relay control circuit.
Start by checking fuse 21 in the PDC. If good then check the a/c compressor relay (also in the PDC). It could be a lot of things including a wiring problem, a control switch issue, or a bad clutch.

P0480 -- PCM is trying to turn on the radiator cooling fan and it isn't coming on. Start the engine and turn the a/c on, the cooling fan should be running. This may very well be a secondary symptom of the first issue above.

P0481 -- telling you that the 2nd circuit of your electric cooling fan is having a problem, again this could very weel be a symptom of the above issue.

Does the AC work? Does the fan work after your replaced it? Did you verify power to the fan when it's supposed to be on?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-21-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
timh141
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thank you for the information. The A/C does not work, yesterday i noticed a line disconnected near the firewall, i pushed it back together, jumpered the compressor clutch so I could recharge but after that, the A/C still does not work and i have the same codes. The new fan assembly has never come on. I'll check the power to the fan and the other items that you mentioned.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-21-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
timh141
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
The A/C fuse in the PDC is good. I get power to the A/C clutch relay circuit (21 in the PDC), but no control signals. I think the a/c clutch is ok because i can jumper it to on. There is no power to the cooling fan. Last winter we installed a new HVAC control head ($125) because of the heater fan not working. I just pulled it out to verify all the connections were seated including the vacuum lines. i tried switching on the A/C, but it doesn't come on nor does the cooling fan. To be clear this is one electric cooling fan with high and low speed relays. Thank you, Tim
post #5 of 13 Old 07-21-2017, 05:57 PM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Does the fan come on when the engine temp gets a bit above normal operating temp as it should?

Or is it only not coming on when the a/c is on (& the engine temp low)?
post #6 of 13 Old 07-23-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
timh141
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
the fan never comes on, unless I jumper it to 12v
post #7 of 13 Old 07-23-2017, 01:18 PM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK, are you jumping it from the battery positive or from one of the relays? If from the battery, try jumping from one of the relay sockets between the 30 & 87 terminals. If good there check fuse 11 in the fuse block behind the glove box. Use a meter or swap it to be sure it is good.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-24-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
timh141
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
fuse 11 is blown, i replaced it and it blew again.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-24-2017, 12:41 PM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I assume it blows as soon as you turn the key on, right?

Fuse 11 powers the relay coils for the fan relays & the a/c compressor relay. That wire is pink/light green & goes from the fuse block across behind the dash, then out & across the firewall in the engine compartment, into the PDC & to the a/c relay then splices over to the fan relays. You will have to find where it is shorting to ground. I would lift the PDC & check the wires there first, then maybe the harness where it leaves the PDC & goes around behind the battery. Those are the 2 areas most likely to get damaged, often by corrosion.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-25-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
timh141
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
ok, thank you, i'll check but it will be awhile as i don't have the jeep nearby this week. Do you know if the wire from fuse 11 connects to anything else such as the evap/purge solenoid? Thanks again, this sounds promising!
post #11 of 13 Old 07-25-2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
timh141
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
and i'll check if it blows just by turning on the key, i don't know, but it didn't last long when i put one in. Fuse 11 is not documented well in the owner's manual, it says "solenoids, drl"
post #12 of 13 Old 07-25-2017, 11:41 AM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Assuming you do not have a Canadian version with daytime running lights (DRLs) the fuse is only for the relay coils (don’t know why is says solenoids) for the a/c compressor & fan relays for the 2.4L equipped ones like yours. The '05 FSM ('06 should be the same) shows it going to the a/c relay then a second wire crimped in going over to one fan relay then another from that relay to the other one. Once you look at the under side of the PDC it should be easy to see & follow it.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-31-2017, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
timh141
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I was able to look at the Jeep this weekend, to make a long story short, the fan and a/c compressor both come on now, and I don't know why. I lifted the PDC and found the pink and green wire, the picture has arrows pointing to the points at each of the three relays where it is connected. With an ohm meter there was continuity between all the relays and fuse 11 (left side). I couldn't see any corrosion. I checked between ground and the wire, and it tested open (so not grounded?), the right side of the fuse socket goes to ground, which I believe is expected. I took the fuse panel off the firewall and looked behind for any corrosion. I didn't unbundle the cable. Not finding anything I decided to replace the blown fuse and see at what point it blows. Turned the key on and the fuse was still good. I then started the Jeep and the radiator cooling fan came on! Turned the a/c on and the compressor clutch engaged!! I let it idle long enough for the cooling fan to cycle on and off. The codes are still there, I am really baffled at this point, because I didn't fix anything...but it is working...for now anyway
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170729_190342.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in