Coolant Smell When Heat is On? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Varnish

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

Coolant Smell When Heat is On?

I知 getting the faint odor of coolant when my heat is on. No smell when the heat is off. I immediately suspected the heater core, but I don稚 have any leaking into the passenger floor.

Would you still suspect a leaky heater core?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 11:44 AM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yes quite likely the core.
If it is only slightly leaking it could be evaporating, but there is also a condensation drain that comes out the firewall, might check that.

Get out and explore.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 12:23 PM
TJKTodd

Mine was doing the same. Just changed my heater core out a month ago. Did the entire job in 4 hrs its not bad. Watch videos. Pull dash off as one piece. Gotta pull steering column off again not bad.

Sent from my SM-A705MN using Tapatalk

post #4 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

Thanks so much Todd. Do I need to go anywhere specific to get the replacement core? I know there are specific brand recommendations on fuel pumps, O2 sensors, clutch kits, spark plugs, etc. Curious if the same is true for the core...

post #5 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 02:04 PM
TJKTodd

If you have an 03 to 06 they are still available from Mopar (Amazon or online) your stock one lasted at least 13 years so best to go back with OEM it's not a job u want to do often ie life time warranty only means how many times in your lifetime do u want to change it lol not bad it's a starter or alternator but heater core is a bit more hands on.
if you have a 97-02 get this one https://www.superiorcooling.co/48740...-wrangler.html
OEM Mopar is discontinued and this
It's the only copper one available.
It's a awesome little company that makes big industrial AC parts but made this just for us TJ guys needing a high quality replacement again a job u don't want to do often!

Good luck if you have any questions I'm here to help

post #6 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 02:56 PM
Varnish

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Had this happening on my LJ, turned out hose clamp just needed tightening at firewall - coolant was spraying right into the opening and into the heater box. Good news was heater core was OK, but took a long time for smell to go away once fixed. I sprayed fresh water through to help but still took a month or so.
TJTurbo likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 04:13 PM
TJTurbo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnish View Post
Had this happening on my LJ, turned out hose clamp just needed tightening at firewall - coolant was spraying right into the opening and into the heater box. Good news was heater core was OK, but took a long time for smell to go away once fixed. I sprayed fresh water through to help but still took a month or so.
Mine was similar as I had hairline crack in the top of the radiator that I would smell when running the heater. I thought for sure I had a bad heater core but decided to wait until I saw an actual leak. Glad I did wait, lol but know at 13 years old it's just a matter of time and I'll be going thru replacing it.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 Old 12-05-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJKTodd View Post
Mine was doing the same. Just changed my heater core out a month ago. Did the entire job in 4 hrs its not bad. Watch videos. Pull dash off as one piece. Gotta pull steering column off again not bad.

I assume I値l have to open the AC system as well - in order to get the condenser out with the heater core?

Ugh...

post #9 of 9 Old 12-05-2019, 01:49 PM
TJKTodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flattie View Post
I assume I値l have to open the AC system as well - in order to get the condenser out with the heater core?

Ugh...

Yes you, I own the AC gauges and a vacuum pump so it made it even easier for me than folks without it but I have s en them for loan at the auto parts store. I bought the harbor freight set ups and used the 20 percent off on them years ago it helps if u want to have your own stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in