Coolant Problem - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-25-2010, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
69MelMan
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Coolant Problem

Replaced the Heater and radiators hoses, radiator, thermostat, thermostat housing and serpentine belt on a 2001 TJ with the 2.5l. Problem is no heat, no hot coolant flowing to the heater hoses. Flushed it again and took it for a drive. Couldn't get it over 150 degrees. Thermostat is rated 195 degrees per OEM. Frustrated, replaced the thermostat to no avail. Belt is routed correctly and tension is correct as well. Is a faulty water pump the most likely culprit? Argh.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-25-2010, 07:19 PM
mightydog78

2013 JK Wrangler 

did you put the theromstat in correctly to make sure it wasnt sticking?

2013 JKU Sahara

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
post #3 of 10 Old 05-25-2010, 07:56 PM
wtroger
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the impeller on the water pump is gone.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Sahara01
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Are you filling the system correctly? Filling up, starting the vehicle and running till the thermostat opens and then topping it off ? Do you have the heat on to make sure the fluid circulates and fills the heater core ? If not that could be causing your problem.

Shortbus Offroad Team #242
sponsored by

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, GOODYEAR TIRES,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Solid Axle Industries, Genright,
post #5 of 10 Old 05-25-2010, 08:51 PM
asknight

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara01 View Post
Are you filling the system correctly? Filling up, starting the vehicle and running till the thermostat opens and then topping it off ? Do you have the heat on to make sure the fluid circulates and fills the heater core ? If not that could be causing your problem.
Turning the blower motor on doesn't have anything to do with coolant flow through the heater core.

Sounds like the water pump impeller is corroded away or there is an air pocket in a water jacket.

Last edited by asknight; 05-31-2010 at 09:38 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 PM
bruteboy

you post that you can't get it to go over 150degrees which means it is not overheating.
correct?
post #7 of 10 Old 05-30-2010, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
69MelMan
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Correct, not overheating. Have to pickup a code reader, it throws one due to sensor not getting a reading after 12 seconds. One other suggestion I will follow prior to replacing the pump and fan clutch was suggested on wranglerforum.com. The thermostat should have a 1/8 to 3/16 bleed hole positioned at the top when you install it so as to avoid air being allowed into the system during refill. I will post what corrects the problem for others with similar issues. Many thanks for all responses.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-30-2010, 05:49 PM
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69MelMan View Post
Correct, not overheating. Have to pickup a code reader, it throws one due to sensor not getting a reading after 12 seconds. One other suggestion I will follow prior to replacing the pump and fan clutch was suggested on wranglerforum.com. The thermostat should have a 1/8 to 3/16 bleed hole positioned at the top when you install it so as to avoid air being allowed into the system during refill. I will post what corrects the problem for others with similar issues. Many thanks for all responses.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the whole in the top of the thermostat is there to let a possible air bubble travel through the system. It is designed this way so that air does not get stuck in any one point in the coolant system.

If you had air in your coolant system, you would overheat (ask me how I know.)

Sounds like your waterpump is shot, or the thermostat is stuck open or backwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
I have to return some video tapes.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

Geeze guys come on. If he's not getting to temperature, it's not going to be a lack of flow. It's going to be too much flow. My thoughts are the thermostat stuck wide open.

The hole in the thermostat is to allow flow, even a tiny little bit, this way there's always an exchange of fluid happening around the thermostat. Without the hole, no flow, and it would take longer for heated coolant to reach the thermostat.

Do a quick test on the thermostat, drop it in a pan of water and watch it open and using a thermometer see what temperature it opens at. I have seen a few in my day go wide open very early. Almost snap open way below temperature.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryseals View Post
The hole in the thermostat is to allow flow, even a tiny little bit, this way there's always an exchange of fluid happening around the thermostat. Without the hole, no flow, and it would take longer for heated coolant to reach the thermostat.
That's how I understand it...

Gone but not forgotten.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in