Consensus on Best Steering box Replacement - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-18-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Notsmartenuf

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Consensus on Best Steering box Replacement

Up and down pages on 3 forums on the subject (which go back to as far as 12-13 yrs in age) and seeing very mixed opinions and experiences. It appears to me that anything rebuilt with core parts is a craps game. So it may be time to bite another bullet and buy a ported PSC so I can build up in the near future.
I can't quote @mrblaine on this but I recall a past post of his in which he may have been allegedly alluding to not purchasing/installing the big bore box without doing the pump and cooler due to people not seeing any difference over stock and maybe some buyers remorse... Does that ring true?
I'm currently on my 5th gearbox in 3 years. 4 of which are warranty replacements from o'Reilly. Over it! 4-5 inches of play on the wheel es no bueno at 75-80 mph. Just want a reliable steering box ...bro
Thanks Yous

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else.

Those who would give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

-Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-18-2019, 07:35 PM
CO_crawler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsmartenuf View Post
Up and down pages on 3 forums on the subject (which go back to as far as 12-13 yrs in age) and seeing very mixed opinions and experiences. It appears to me that anything rebuilt with core parts is a craps game. So it may be time to bite another bullet and buy a ported PSC so I can build up in the near future.
I can't quote @mrblaine on this but I recall a past post of his in which he may have been allegedly alluding to not purchasing/installing the big bore box without doing the pump and cooler due to people not seeing any difference over stock and maybe some buyers remorse... Does that ring true?
I'm currently on my 5th gearbox in 3 years. 4 of which are warranty replacements from o'Reilly. Over it! 4-5 inches of play on the wheel es no bueno at 75-80 mph. Just want a reliable steering box ...bro
Thanks Yous

I have the durango in my 99 sahara its beef. Before I put it in HWY driving was a scary nightmare.

CO_Crawler

Crawlin Slow Some Where in CO
post #3 of 16 Old 09-18-2019, 11:26 PM
sycboi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have purchased two of the rebuilt Durango steering boxes from Detroit axle. They sell on eBay as well as their own website. No regrets, I’d purchase another without hesitation...

SuperBeast, enforcer for the Mopar Mafia ̿ '̿'̿\̵͇̿̿\з=(̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿

post #4 of 16 Old 09-19-2019, 12:03 AM
PartyTime

I have the Durango upgrade from Redhead Steering gears, give them a call they really know their stuff and can give you all the specs on the internal differences from the Jeep boxes. The fan shroud had to be trimmed to fit because it is a larger unit, otherwise fits just fine.

Feels tight and accurate and helps keep the wobbles at bay. It was around 360 bucks (after core) not super cheap but way less than 1000 like the psc (which I have no experience with).

Only had it for 3 months so I can’t give you a long term review but so far I wish I did this years ago, it really made a difference driving.

I was on 265/75r16s (32x10.4) pro comps and truthfully the stock box didn’t have any trouble turning the tires but it was a worn out box and had to go.

Now I’m on 255/85/r16 (33x10) St maxx and the redhead box feels great... so my opinion is if you are gonna run 32 or less you likely don’t need much more over stock, but I’m sure it depends on how hard you wheel it too (recommended dose: a grain of salt).

Side note: I don’t tow anything so if you do that probably makes a difference that I can’t speak to.

Good luck with your decision mate!

-Party Time

Last edited by PartyTime; 09-19-2019 at 12:17 AM.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-19-2019, 06:44 AM
JeffBowser

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in the same boat. My factory box finally got too loose about a year ago. Had a shop stuff a replacement in while it was in another town for a new tranny. They put a Cardone in there against my express wishes, so I need to do it again. The Cardone got loose after 2 days.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-19-2019, 07:34 AM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Redhead gearbox here as well, happy with it. Had it on for a few years now I think.

Get out and explore.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-19-2019, 08:08 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If they are just loose you can tighten them. If they are bad I would think they could continue to loosen ever after tightening.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #8 of 16 Old 09-19-2019, 08:34 AM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
If they are just loose you can tighten them. If they are bad I would think they could continue to loosen ever after tightening.
That's a band aid fix at best.
Ross and tworley like this.

Get out and explore.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-19-2019, 08:58 AM
tworley

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
The problem with Durango boxes is that they use bushings on the sector shaft since IFS is much easier on the steering. The OE box uses a bearing which is better for the abuse a SFA puts out. I replaced mine earlier this year with a reman'd box from NAPA. It was $175 with a $222 core charge. So far so good on a rig that sees DD use and plays in the rocks on 35s on the weekends.

Colorado Member 307
post #10 of 16 Old 09-19-2019, 09:02 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_13 View Post
That's a band aid fix at best.
Esp if the box is older.

I replaced mine form a local shop in town. It has a life time warranty. If it gets loose I will tighten it. IF it get loose again or leaks I will replace it.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #11 of 16 Old 09-19-2019, 09:44 AM
07wurubi
2006 LJ Rubicon

2006 LJ Wrangler 

For me, I ran the Durango box in my previous TJ. It got sloppy and I replaced it with another under warranty. It started getting sloppy, too. Decided to quit going through this is stepped up to the PSC big bore with pump, reservoir and a cheap cooler. When I picked up my LJ, I bought a big bore box for it as they are different from the earlier TJs and moved the pump and reservoir over to the LJ and upgraded the cooler to the dual setup for PS and Trans. In my opinion, best bang for the buck. And the box is already ported for hydro assist should I decide to go that route in the future. Only $50 more for the porting so why not. I am running 37s. If you aren't running anything bigger than 35s, you might be ok with just a stock replacement PSC box. But definitely do a good cooler if not already and use the fluid they recommend.
Again, this is only my experience and opinion. Others will have their own two cents on the subject.
Notsmartenuf likes this.

Mike Fox

My Jeep:
06 Wrangler LJ Rubicon
work in progress.
post #12 of 16 Old 09-21-2019, 06:00 AM
williambmac

2005 LJ Wrangler 

when the pitman arm shaft snapped on my Mercedes box, I replaced it with an AGR box to save some $$$ over a PSC box.
The AGR box was a pos and I ended up spending even more $$$ and bought a PSC box.
IF you don't want to dish out that kind of $$$, look on Rockauto. They sell a Durango box by LARS.
The LARS box is a reman but they replace the sector shaft bushing with a bearing. price is decent too.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 4" Clayton long arm
35" Mickey Thompsons, lots of stuff
Black Magic Big brake kit
post #13 of 16 Old 09-21-2019, 07:11 AM
pachx

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just went with the new box from crown, have had it in for 6 months with no complaints. No leaks or wheel play.
Kolak likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-24-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Notsmartenuf

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07wurubi View Post
For me, I ran the Durango box in my previous TJ. It got sloppy and I replaced it with another under warranty. It started getting sloppy, too. Decided to quit going through this is stepped up to the PSC big bore with pump, reservoir and a cheap cooler. When I picked up my LJ, I bought a big bore box for it as they are different from the earlier TJs and moved the pump and reservoir over to the LJ and upgraded the cooler to the dual setup for PS and Trans. In my opinion, best bang for the buck. And the box is already ported for hydro assist should I decide to go that route in the future. Only $50 more for the porting so why not. I am running 37s. If you aren't running anything bigger than 35s, you might be ok with just a stock replacement PSC box. But definitely do a good cooler if not already and use the fluid they recommend.
Again, this is only my experience and opinion. Others will have their own two cents on the subject.
After some research, it appears that PSC now charges the same for ported vs non-ported boxes which makes sense to me from a business perspective as they have much more to sell someone with existing ports.
Bottom line is this: I run 35's and will never run larger on this rig. I want a brand new steering box to avoid another gamble with the quality of rebuilt boxes (soooo f'n tired of swapping them!) yet it seems that the only new non-reman available is a PSC box...which requires a higher capacity pump and a cooler...all three of which I cannot foresee ever being necessary for me. At close to 2k+my labor...uhh, no. I'd rather spend that ched on a front locker and a new front bumper.
I'm going to attempt to find a lighter-used stock (or 2) and report back

He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else.

Those who would give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

-Benjamin Franklin
post #15 of 16 Old 09-25-2019, 07:51 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
I'm in the same boat. My factory box finally got too loose about a year ago. Had a shop stuff a replacement in while it was in another town for a new tranny. They put a Cardone in there against my express wishes, so I need to do it again. The Cardone got loose after 2 days.
As you confirmed Cardone steering boxes are junk and not worth installing.
williambmac likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in