Which coil springs? - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 09-01-2018, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
williambmac

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Which coil springs?

I replaced my 4" coil springs recently with 5.5 Rubicon Express springs, and must say...….I absolutely hate them.
First off they ride horribly on the street. rattle your fillings right out of your teeth. They make my daily driving quite uncomfortable. Note...Also running Rancho mt7000 shocks all around.
Second the springs are actually netting close to 7" of lift with my bumpers, winch and spare tire, and haven't settled after 5k miles of driving.
I would like to replace to coils with ones that will net 4-4.5" of lift with the added extra weight of my bumpers/winch/spare.
Also looking for a bit of a firmer ride on the highway, nothing bone jarring like the rubicon express springs.
I previously had Clayton 4" springs, but they had a very soft mushy ride. I love Claytons products, just not a fan of their coil springs.
I was looking at Nth degree, Synergy or possibly Currie, but would like to hear opinions from other jeepers that have these products installed.

I have read through a few threads and it seems a lot of people favor currie. I was hoping to here from some who have Nth or Synergy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 09-01-2018, 08:45 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

its the shocks that are causing the rough ride, wondering if the new springs raised the jeep too much and caused a loss of uptravel.

cant go wrong with currie springs

edit: not sure whjat i was thinking, but yes, youd lose downtravel, not uptravel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 40 Old 09-01-2018, 09:21 AM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Currie springs are very good.

post #4 of 40 Old 09-01-2018, 09:26 AM
oldjeepman60
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Check out OME they have a 4" spring. Or Nth are good also.

AEV Hi-Line and some stuff
post #5 of 40 Old 09-01-2018, 09:29 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by williambmac View Post
I replaced my 4" coil springs recently with 5.5 Rubicon Express springs, and must say....I absolutely hate them.
First off they ride horribly on the street. rattle your fillings right out of your teeth. They make my daily driving quite uncomfortable. Note...Also running Rancho mt7000 shocks all around.
Second the springs are actually netting close to 7" of lift with my bumpers, winch and spare tire, and haven't settled after 5k miles of driving.
I would like to replace to coils with ones that will net 4-4.5" of lift with the added extra weight of my bumpers/winch/spare.
Also looking for a bit of a firmer ride on the highway, nothing bone jarring like the rubicon express springs.
I previously had Clayton 4" springs, but they had a very soft mushy ride. I love Claytons products, just not a fan of their coil springs.
I was looking at Nth degree, Synergy or possibly Currie, but would like to hear opinions from other jeepers that have these products installed.

I have read through a few threads and it seems a lot of people favor currie. I was hoping to here from some who have Nth or Synergy.
Pull the shocks and go for a short ride very carefully. You may be surprised at how soft the springs actually are.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #6 of 40 Old 09-01-2018, 09:34 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
its the shocks that are causing the rough ride, wondering if the new springs raised the jeep too much and caused a loss of uptravel.
While I agree with the concept I think you have the consequences backward.
post #7 of 40 Old 09-01-2018, 09:36 AM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post

cant go wrong with currie springs
You'd gain up travel.

Building the right way for 37s.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 40 Old 09-01-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
williambmac

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Pull the shocks and go for a short ride very carefully. You may be surprised at how soft the springs actually are.
I did something similar. I pulled the shocks and hopped up/down on the bumpers. The suspension will compress a few inches 2-3" nothing more.
With the shocks installed and my 230lb a$$ jumping on the rear bumper it barely moves.
Shocks have plenty of upward/downward travel.

Perhaps its the combo of the springs and shocks. Driving on the highway is a nightmare. You hit a bump and pothole, and it wants to throw you into the other lane because the suspension is not absorbing anything.

My old tj had 5.5" clayton lift with 5.5 rubi express springs and bilsteins and never drove this harsh.
post #9 of 40 Old 09-01-2018, 10:44 AM
pcoplin
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I really like the Currie 4 inch. Make sure you get the LJ springs if the rear of your Jeep is heavy.

FullStack MotorSports
post #10 of 40 Old 09-01-2018, 11:10 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I did something similar. I pulled the shocks and hopped up/down on the bumpers. The suspension will compress a few inches 2-3" nothing more.
With the shocks installed and my 230lb a$$ jumping on the rear bumper it barely moves.
Shocks have plenty of upward/downward travel.

Perhaps its the combo of the springs and shocks. Driving on the highway is a nightmare. You hit a bump and pothole, and it wants to throw you into the other lane because the suspension is not absorbing anything.

My old tj had 5.5" clayton lift with 5.5 rubi express springs and bilsteins and never drove this harsh.
If you would just go for a short drive in a safe manner, you would learn more than 2 years of jumping up on down on bumpers. They are not the same thing.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #11 of 40 Old 09-01-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
williambmac

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
If you would just go for a short drive in a safe manner, you would learn more than 2 years of jumping up on down on bumpers. They are not the same thing.

I get what you are saying. Ill do it after work. today.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 4" Clayton long arm
35" Mickey Thompsons, lots of stuff
Black Magic Big brake kit
post #12 of 40 Old 09-01-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
williambmac

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Pulled the shocks and went for a short road test. Coming to a stop was fun. Reminds me of my time attempting to ride a mechanical bull.
Ride was quite different with nothing to dampen it.
For the hell of it I installed my old Bilstein 5100 shocks for my ride home from the shop, a bit better.
I am going to remove and replace these Rubicon express coils with a new set of currie or clayton springs. My jeep looks ridiculous with 1.25" body lift and springs that are netting almost 7" in lift height.
and replace these rancho mt7000 shocks for either fox or ome shocks.
More money out the window.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 4" Clayton long arm
35" Mickey Thompsons, lots of stuff
Black Magic Big brake kit
post #13 of 40 Old 09-01-2018, 04:28 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Pulled the shocks and went for a short road test. Coming to a stop was fun. Reminds me of my time attempting to ride a mechanical bull.
Ride was quite different with nothing to dampen it.
For the hell of it I installed my old Bilstein 5100 shocks for my ride home from the shop, a bit better.
I am going to remove and replace these Rubicon express coils with a new set of currie or clayton springs. My jeep looks ridiculous with 1.25" body lift and springs that are netting almost 7" in lift height.
and replace these rancho mt7000 shocks for either fox or ome shocks.
More money out the window.
The ride was unstable but nothing any thing anyone could describe as harsh. Typical springs with spring rates that are commonly and readily available for the TJ and TJ Unlimited do not have much of a perceptible ride quality difference. The issue is shocks, tires, road surface.

As a comparison, we are building a rig right now with 2.5" coil-overs. It literally is one of the heaviest recreational rigs I've seen or encountered. Unsprung front corners are 850 each, rear corners are 1200 each. The rear spring rate is about 135 lbs. per inch and that is a bunch. My helper's are about half that.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #14 of 40 Old 09-01-2018, 07:26 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Little FYI,these guys will make anything you want and make it work how you design it.
They make a ton of custom coils.

http://www.eatondetroitspring.com/
Pulled out a set of blueprints for my 60 sedan delivery and made them from scratch.
They also do custom coils,all you need to do is talk with them and explain what you want to do.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #15 of 40 Old 09-01-2018, 09:26 PM
pcoplin
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

william, if you can swing it, mount some towers and get some tuned Fox/Radflo/King shocks. Not cheap, but it'll be the single most worthwhile thing you do for your ride. We spend so much money modifying these Jeeps but it's very hard for people to spend that money on shocks. Once you do though, doubt you'll run off-the-shelf bolt on shocks ever again.

FullStack MotorSports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in