Clutch problem - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-09-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
scottdp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Clutch problem

My sons jeep is a 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 6 cylinder. Was running great then said the clutch felt funny. No resistance on pedal and stranded him on freeway. I replace the master cylinder and clutch slave with a Luk complete system with no difference. Jeep will grind but not turn over in neutral. If in gear it lurches forward. Is that a sign that the clutch blew? Iíve been suspect because the clutch would only catch at the top of the pedal. Likely the original clutch and about 200,000 miles. Let me know what you think. What puzzles me is the fact it wonít start in neutral and the lack of pedal pressure even with new hydraulics. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-11-2019, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
scottdp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone have suggestions?

post #3 of 12 Old 04-11-2019, 09:01 AM
Newtons3
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

If it won't start, there is an electrical issue outside of the clutch mechanics.

As far as the clutch itself.....never seen anything cause this with no warning such as noises, lack of engagement/disengagement, etc.
If the new hydraulics didn't fix it, you will probably have to inspect. If the clutch is engaged all the time, then there is a problem mechanically with the clutch fork, hydraulics, TOB, or pressure plate. In my experience, TOB or pressure plate always made noise before a failure.

post #4 of 12 Old 04-11-2019, 09:04 AM
g_hayduke
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdp View Post
Jeep will grind but not turn over in neutral.
What do you mean exactly by this sentence?
post #5 of 12 Old 04-11-2019, 09:29 AM
Newtons3
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_hayduke View Post
What do you mean exactly by this sentence?
Yep....I missed that completely.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-11-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
scottdp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the confusion. I mean when I put the transmission in neutral the ignition will turn/crank but not start. When transmission is in gear it will lurch forward. Hope that helps. Thank you.

post #7 of 12 Old 04-11-2019, 09:31 AM
Newtons3
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The no start condition is separate from the lurching/clutch issue, most likely.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-11-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
scottdp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you. That helps the process of elimination!

post #9 of 12 Old 04-14-2019, 01:30 PM
Goatman#1

Lurching due to starter driving the whole drivetrain. They should all do that if you are in fear and crank the starter over. If it wont fire up look towards the starting circuit. Position sensor ( cam or crank ) would be my first look. Should be one to the flywheel. But if it is lurching when cranking in gear that means the clutch has at least some life in it. Until the no start issue is resolved the clutch issue doesn't really matter too much. But that kinda sounds like a throw out bearing to me.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-14-2019, 02:32 PM
Phreaq
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
While it does sound like you need to replace the clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. If you bleed the air from the hydraulics after the replacement, I would first check that the linkage between the pedal and clutch master cylinder is solid. Remove the slave cylinder and be sure it is lined up with the fork. While you have it out, you can look inside and maybe get a picture for us. If that is all good, sounds like it is time for a new clutch disc, pressure plate, and throw out bearing.

While I have done many clutches and clutch related parts repairs, I have yet to pull my TJ apart. Just looking at the parts in the system from a parts vendor website, and taking a peek under my TJ, I have a mental picture of the system working.

Regardless of the clutch condition, it should start in neutral.

Post back what you find. It is helpful for others too.
Good luck
post #11 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
scottdp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Update:

I was able to get the jeep in the garage this weekend. Discovered two things: first the clutch slave wasn't working because the clutch fork was completely disengaged inside the transmission. I could move it around with my fingers. So...I will be cracking it open soon. Want to confirm that this the right clutch kit (Luk 5065). Does the clutch fork and/or spring come with that? This will be my first clutch job.

Second: the no-start issue is a result of no spark from the coil. I am assuming Crankshaft sensor in this case.

I will report back once I crack it open.

Let me know what you think.

thanks,

scott
post #12 of 12 Old 04-16-2019, 06:56 AM
Newtons3
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Clutch fork and spring do not come with that. That part number does show to fit your Jeep.

Don't make an assumption about the coil/crank sensor. Assumptions will usually leave you chasing your tail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in