JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Clutch problem (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/clutch-problem-4351351/)

scottdp 04-09-2019 10:45 AM

Clutch problem

My sons jeep is a 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 6 cylinder. Was running great then said the clutch felt funny. No resistance on pedal and stranded him on freeway. I replace the master cylinder and clutch slave with a Luk complete system with no difference. Jeep will grind but not turn over in neutral. If in gear it lurches forward. Is that a sign that the clutch blew? Ive been suspect because the clutch would only catch at the top of the pedal. Likely the original clutch and about 200,000 miles. Let me know what you think. What puzzles me is the fact it wont start in neutral and the lack of pedal pressure even with new hydraulics. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottdp 04-11-2019 06:11 AM

Anyone have suggestions?

Newtons3 04-11-2019 09:01 AM

If it won't start, there is an electrical issue outside of the clutch mechanics.

As far as the clutch itself.....never seen anything cause this with no warning such as noises, lack of engagement/disengagement, etc.
If the new hydraulics didn't fix it, you will probably have to inspect. If the clutch is engaged all the time, then there is a problem mechanically with the clutch fork, hydraulics, TOB, or pressure plate. In my experience, TOB or pressure plate always made noise before a failure.

g_hayduke 04-11-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottdp (Post 40581419)
Jeep will grind but not turn over in neutral.

What do you mean exactly by this sentence?

Newtons3 04-11-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g_hayduke (Post 40583727)
What do you mean exactly by this sentence?

Yep....I missed that completely.

scottdp 04-11-2019 09:29 AM

Sorry for the confusion. I mean when I put the transmission in neutral the ignition will turn/crank but not start. When transmission is in gear it will lurch forward. Hope that helps. Thank you.

Newtons3 04-11-2019 09:31 AM

The no start condition is separate from the lurching/clutch issue, most likely.

scottdp 04-11-2019 09:50 AM

Thank you. That helps the process of elimination!

Goatman#1 04-14-2019 01:30 PM

Lurching due to starter driving the whole drivetrain. They should all do that if you are in fear and crank the starter over. If it wont fire up look towards the starting circuit. Position sensor ( cam or crank ) would be my first look. Should be one to the flywheel. But if it is lurching when cranking in gear that means the clutch has at least some life in it. Until the no start issue is resolved the clutch issue doesn't really matter too much. But that kinda sounds like a throw out bearing to me.

Phreaq 04-14-2019 02:32 PM

While it does sound like you need to replace the clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. If you bleed the air from the hydraulics after the replacement, I would first check that the linkage between the pedal and clutch master cylinder is solid. Remove the slave cylinder and be sure it is lined up with the fork. While you have it out, you can look inside and maybe get a picture for us. If that is all good, sounds like it is time for a new clutch disc, pressure plate, and throw out bearing.

While I have done many clutches and clutch related parts repairs, I have yet to pull my TJ apart. Just looking at the parts in the system from a parts vendor website, and taking a peek under my TJ, I have a mental picture of the system working.

Regardless of the clutch condition, it should start in neutral.

Post back what you find. It is helpful for others too.
Good luck :)

scottdp 04-15-2019 10:15 AM

Update:

I was able to get the jeep in the garage this weekend. Discovered two things: first the clutch slave wasn't working because the clutch fork was completely disengaged inside the transmission. I could move it around with my fingers. So...I will be cracking it open soon. Want to confirm that this the right clutch kit (Luk 5065). Does the clutch fork and/or spring come with that? This will be my first clutch job.

Second: the no-start issue is a result of no spark from the coil. I am assuming Crankshaft sensor in this case.

I will report back once I crack it open.

Let me know what you think.

thanks,

scott

Newtons3 04-16-2019 06:56 AM

Clutch fork and spring do not come with that. That part number does show to fit your Jeep.

Don't make an assumption about the coil/crank sensor. Assumptions will usually leave you chasing your tail.

The time now is 08:40 AM.