Clutch Master Slave - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 11-09-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
RRP26

Clutch Master Slave

Good morning! So my Jeep TJ clutch failed. Thought it was the master slave. Changes the master slave cylinder assembly, but now when I depress clutch the gears grind and will not let me get it into gear. I thought this was going to be a simple 30 min fix. Any ideas on what I did wrong?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-09-2019, 09:11 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

What do you mean by "my Jeep TJ clutch failed"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes. ***SOLD*** for Covid-19 pandemic rent money. :(
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #3 of 25 Old 11-09-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
RRP26

Felt clutch engaging in an odd position, then it just lost all tension. The clutch lost all pressure and was loose.

post #4 of 25 Old 11-10-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
RRP26

Any thoughts on why I can’t get into gear (grinds) with the new slave cylinder?
post #5 of 25 Old 11-10-2019, 12:24 PM
JFM626

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately it sounds like something within the clutch assembly has failed. It could be a broken throw out bearing or carrier, even some broken pressure late fingers. You will need to remove the transmission to insect these and other related components. All of the aforementioned is predicated upon the correct installation of the clutch hydraulic system you have previously replaced/installed.

How can you trust an atom, they make up everything
post #6 of 25 Old 11-10-2019, 12:32 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Grinding gears when shifting means the clutch isn't fully releasing. This could be for several reasons:
  • Clutch cover loose
  • Clutch disk distorted
  • Clutch cover diaphragm spring bent or distorted
  • Release fork bent or worn
  • Fork pivot loose or damaged
  • Pilot bearing seized
  • Clutch hydraulics failed, low fluid, or air in system

With the master/slave recently replaced with no change in behaviour, I'd start with what can fairly easily be looked at that hasn't changed. Inspect the clutch pedal arm for damage or wear that may allow slop in the movement transferred to the master cylinder pushrod. Next, pull the slave back out and try to verify that the release fork isn't bent/damaged or has come loose from the pivot stud at the opposite end, then reinstall the slave making sure it has the plastic cap on the end of its pushrod. If no faults are found with the release fork or the slave cylinder, you'll need to drop the transmission to determine the cause and fix it.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #7 of 25 Old 11-11-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
RRP26

Thanks for the responses. I have scheduled to have the TJ looked at by a mechanic and will post once I have received outcome. Appointment is next week. If a new clutch and components are needed, I’ve read to go with a Luk clutch. Thanks again for the responses. Greatly appreciated.
TheBoogieman likes this.
post #8 of 25 Old 11-18-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
RRP26

Diagnostic back

Thanks for all that responded. I took it to the Jeep dealer for repair. New Clutch, New Throw-out Bearings, New Pressure Plate, some other misc parts, and labor. Ouch, wasn't expecting that!
post #9 of 25 Old 11-19-2019, 12:00 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRP26 View Post
Thanks for all that responded. I took it to the Jeep dealer for repair. New Clutch, New Throw-out Bearings, New Pressure Plate, some other misc parts, and labor. Ouch, wasn't expecting that!
NEVER go to a stealership for any repairs. You learned a hard lesson.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes. ***SOLD*** for Covid-19 pandemic rent money. :(
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #10 of 25 Old 11-19-2019, 01:22 AM
RevScott

Thats OK, less than 1K on a brand new clutch on my 06 TJ 4cyl 6speed dead of winter... the "pressure plate" was broke off the springs (must have been a drunken Irishman, most likely one o me cousins that designed the clutch for the six speed) and that &%%^$ tranny is one of the heaviest Ive ever dealt with a true transmission jack and a come-along to pull the transmission back in place. leave it in gear and have one person slowly turn the output of the tranny or xfer case if you were brave and left it on, while the other puts tension on the come-along hooked to the front bumper so you pull the tranny forward while adjusting height and tilt and rotation of the jack. It would be very easy to give an extremely accurate description in minimal words, but describing group sex isnt appropriate here... Oh how did it break? Spouse didnt realize that the 231 xfer case wasnt meant for 4wd on dry streets and forgot to shift back to 2wd after the local blizzard. Hence I replaced it with Selectrac...
post #11 of 25 Old 11-19-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
RRP26

3k for a new clutch is not a good deal?
post #12 of 25 Old 11-19-2019, 09:13 PM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Half the guys here could fly out to your place, put your clutch in, fly back home and still have quite a tidy profit
post #13 of 25 Old 11-19-2019, 10:08 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
WTH! I was thinking maybe $1200.
Attached Images

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #14 of 25 Old 11-19-2019, 10:10 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousejockey View Post
Half the guys here could fly out to your place, put your clutch in, fly back home and still have quite a tidy profit
I'd ride a bicycle to his house for that much profit.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #15 of 25 Old 11-20-2019, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
RRP26

Would replacing the flywheel increase the price $1500?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in