Clutch Fork Backwards! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-07-2020, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
IsaacsTjRubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Clutch Fork Backwards!

Hi

I recently completed a clutch job on my nv3550 and was super proud of myself when I finished until I got in and drove it and started to hear a loud rattling noise when engaging the clutch pedal! After doing a bit of research I learned that this could be due to a missing spring clip on the ball end of the clutch fork. I distinctly remebered that there was a spring clip on my clutch fork when I put everything back together so I removed my slave cylinder so could I push on the end of the fork to try and tell if the clutch fork was clipped to the ball on the other side of the bell housing. As soon as I removed the slave cylinder I saw the spring clip on the slave cylinder side of clutch fork and realized I must have put my cutch fork in backwards! ( that's when I really started to feel like an Idiot). Is it bad to leave it like this? It runs and shifts super smooth there's just the intermittent rattling noise. I've read the missing spring clip is no big deal but what about the backwards fork? I can't think of a reason that it would cause a problem. Other than the spring clip and the side in which the TO bearing clips in, the fork seems pretty symmetrical.

Thanks
Isaac

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-07-2020, 04:55 PM
JFM626

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think you put it in backwards, but rather you just put the clip on the wrong end, I have found that little spring (unbroken) in the bottom of the bell housing in a first time clutch job before. Nothing wrong with the clutch, just a noisy throwout bearing. I suppose it could pop off the ball on the other side, but not on the few I have encountered. If you absolutely need the peace of mind, change it out.

How can you trust an atom, they make up everything
post #3 of 12 Old 03-07-2020, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
IsaacsTjRubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I assumed I put it in backwards because I don't believe I removed the spring clip from the fork in the first place and so I thought I must have flipped it around but in all honesty I don't remember so you could be right. Would the clutch not function properly if that were the case?

Thanks
Isaac

post #4 of 12 Old 03-07-2020, 05:39 PM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I believe the fork is symmetrical, and it does not matter which way it goes on.

The clutch fork is never really completely loose. The slave cylinder always keeps pressure on the fork and keeps the TOB against the clutch which forces the other end of the fork against the ball.

I always assumed that the clip was to keep the fork on the ball, but now that I think about it, maybe it's more of an anti rattle clip. Noise = warranty work.

It would suck if the fork fell off, and so would the noise, but I think I would risk it rather than pulling the transmission. Maybe practice floating the gears and do the clutch switch disable.

97 TJ sport.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-07-2020, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
IsaacsTjRubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Sounds good to me! Really wasn't looking forward to pulling the tranny over one little clip. The rattle will just serve as a reminder to myself to pay better attention to what the hell im doing in the future! I won't hear it most of the time anyways. I've got the music cranked too loud!

Thanks for the quick responses
Isaac
post #6 of 12 Old 03-26-2020, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
IsaacsTjRubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Sorry to reopen this thread.

The more I listen to the rattle the more I worry that the sound is not because of the missing clip but maybe a damaged throw out bearing. If it noise was because of the missing clip wouldn't the sound stop when I engaged the clutch pedal not vice versa? It's also quite loud and I have a hard time believing it's just the clutch fork rattling on a pivot. I was wondering if anyone else is missing a retaining clip and could speak on the noise it makes and when it makes it.

Thanks
Isaac
post #7 of 12 Old 03-27-2020, 01:17 AM
Arty McGeep

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Sounds like you are correct. If it was the missing clip, the noise would be there with your foot off the pedal and go away when you push it.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-29-2020, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
IsaacsTjRubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Would the throw out bearing cause a loud intermittent rattle/grind sound? The reason I replaced the clutch in the first place was a bad throw out bearing and it didn't make a noise it just made it hard to shift into 2nd. I cant think of anything else that could be wrong with it from doing a clutch job though.

Thanks
Isaac
post #9 of 12 Old 03-29-2020, 05:30 PM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Describe the conditions when the clutch makes noise in detail.

Jeep stationary, neutral, clutch out. Noise?
Jeep stationary, neutral, clutch in. Noise?
etc.
Do all the combinations you can think of.

A bad TOB will not make it difficult to shift into second gear only. That was not your original problem. The TOB is always spinning so if it is going to make noise it should do it all the time. However, the tone of the noise can definitely change when you press the pedal.

97 TJ sport.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-29-2020, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
IsaacsTjRubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Jeep in gear or in neutral stationary no noise.
Jeep moving in gear ease off gas = noise most times.
Jeep moving in any gear, engage clutch = noise most times.

Its not a constant consistent noise, its a loud erratic on off rattle/ grind that does not sound rotational. It also doesn't continue, as in if I ease off the gas in gear it will make the noise for about 2 seconds then stop. Same with the clutch engaged situation, if Im moving and I hold the clutch down it will make the noise for a bit then stop.

Hope that describes it better.

Thanks
Isaac

Last edited by IsaacsTjRubi; 03-29-2020 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Add more detail
post #11 of 12 Old 03-29-2020, 06:34 PM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacsTjRubi View Post
Jeep in gear or in neutral stationary no noise.
Jeep moving in gear ease off gas = noise most times.
Jeep moving in any gear, engage clutch = noise most times.

Its not a constant consistent noise, its a loud erratic on off rattle/ grind that does not sound rotational. It also doesn't continue, as in if I ease off the gas in gear it will make the noise for about 2 seconds then stop. Same with the clutch engaged situation, if Im moving and I hold the clutch down it will make the noise for a bit then stop.

Hope that describes it better.

Thanks
Isaac
Based on the first condition, it is not your clutch or TOB.

The NV3550 is notoriously noisy according to others. I don't have one. Do a google search, and you will see.

97 TJ sport.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-29-2020, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
IsaacsTjRubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
Based on the first condition, it is not your clutch or TOB.

The NV3550 is notoriously noisy according to others. I don't have one. Do a google search, and you will see.
It definitely did not make this noise before the clutch job though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in