Clockspring?? Horn going off, cruise not working - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-02-2011, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
daze823
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Clockspring?? Horn going off, cruise not working

Ok,

So I cleaned up the 2001 TJ Wrangler about 2 weeks ago, wash, wax, vacuum, and dropped the top and went out around Fort Lauderdale with my girl and enjoyed the night... got home late and left the top down.

Next morning, woke up and had another swimming pool at the house, except this one was in the drive way, had about 2 inches of water in the jeep. I vacummed up the water on the floor, and left the top down since sun was shinning and let it dry up.

Well, went for a drive later in the day, and the check engine light came on, and the jeep starting bucking at around 2000 RPM's, so took it back home and left it. Later in the day, the horn starting going off, first for about 5 minutes, then went off, and eventually horn stayed on. So now, 2 weeks later, still having the issues, in all, the symptoms are:
-Check Engine light on (throttle position sensor code)
-Cruise Control not working (light doesn't come on)
-horn blows constantly
-engine bucks at about 2000 RPM
-Sound coming from engine compartment (sounds like vacuum leak), maybe because TPS not regestering correctly?
-Seems to be running hotter than usual, but I'm not driving it much, until fixed, so not positive

I ordered a clock spring and will be replacing it when I get it (wrong one originally sent), if that doesn't fix it, any other suggestions?

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-08-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
daze823
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Cancel the sound coming from the engine compartment, it was a seperate problem and has been fixed... had nothing to do with the other symptoms... I'm still waiting on the clock spring to be sent to me (I regret ordering it online to save $50, it's taken 3 weeks and I still don't have the right part). I will update after changing the clock spring to advise if it fixed the issue.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-08-2011, 01:30 PM
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Don't regret ordering online. I got mine through the Dealer and it still took 3 weeks (at least). For that long I didn't have a horn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze823 View Post
Cancel the sound coming from the engine compartment, it was a seperate problem and has been fixed... had nothing to do with the other symptoms... I'm still waiting on the clock spring to be sent to me (I regret ordering it online to save $50, it's taken 3 weeks and I still don't have the right part). I will update after changing the clock spring to advise if it fixed the issue.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-08-2011, 01:34 PM
cj777
1977 CJ7 

Clockspring should fix it. If you want to check, unplug both connectors from the clockspring, and your Check Engine light should go off and it should drive fine (other than cruise, airbag, and horn not working). That will verify that the clockspring is indeed your problem.

Wanna cracker?

'74 CJ5
'81 CJ7
'03 TJ
post #5 of 9 Old 08-09-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
daze823
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok,

I wanted to post after I replaced clockspring, in case anyone else runs into this and googles it, I replaced the clockspring and it was definetely the problem.. cruise, horn working again, engine light went away, and I have the power back in the jeep. It's amazing how much power it lost with the TPS code on, but the jeep is running great again, so I'm happy. Unfortunately I didn't get to try cj777 suggestion of unplugging the clock spring (which I would have done if I had received the suggestion earlier), but the clockspring arrived the same day he wrote that, so I just replaced it, didn't want to try his suggestion, pull it all back and apart and change the spring...
post #6 of 9 Old 06-12-2018, 06:22 PM
mcoh1030
2000 TJ Wrangler 

2001 tj

I'm only a 1/2 hour north of you....I screwed up and found a 2nd swimming pool in my drive way this week. Same damn symptoms you described without the noise in the engine compartment. I note you indicated in a follow up post to ignore that mention.

Anyway.....I think it's the clock spring. It's bucking at 2k rpms. No cruise, and not sure horn is working, (I disconnected it because it started going off all by itself), but the air bag light did come on at one point when the horn decided to go crazy. But then the air bag light went off and stayed off.

Anything you can share, (about doing the job, etc...) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
post #7 of 9 Old 06-12-2018, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
daze823
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I’m guessing it shows I live in FL on this site, but i moved to NC about a year ago. Anyway, I replaced the clock spring about 7 years ago, and don’t really remember the specifics, but it wasn’t difficult.

You will need to remove the steering wheel, so you’ll need a steering wheel puller, if you don’t have one you may be able to rent one from pep boys or advanced auto, but if you can’t find one to rent harbor freight.

So just remove the airbag by taking the screws out behind it, remove the bolt in the center of the steering wheel, then use the puller. A few screws to remove the plastic housing surrounding the column and then remove the clock spring.

Good luck
post #8 of 9 Old 06-13-2018, 01:25 PM
mcoh1030
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for Responding so Fast 2001

You moved to N.C., wow, nice. I hear it absolutely beautiful up there.

I have a couple of quick, specific questions....maybe you can answer them, (I wrote a Post asking these questions, still have not heard back from anyone).

1) Can the plug to the Clock Spring, (2 connectors/3 wire leads) be disconnected to see if the Jeep will run better?

2) If it does run better, I'm guessing that's proof that the Clock Spring is Bad.

3) Have you ever heard of "drying" it out? Read somewhere that you can open the clock spring and clean it and that might help.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-13-2018, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
daze823
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Someone on this thread said you could disconnect it to check, but I didn’t try so I don’t know (all you have to do to try that is take the airbag off, the connectors connect to the airbag. Yes, if it runs better I’d consider that proof of a bad part.

As for drying it out, maybe, but once taken apart it might be tough to reassemble.

Tags
clock spring , cruise control , horn , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in