JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   cleaning soft windows with pledge??? (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cleaning-soft-windows-pledge-1285265/)

Temple 11-04-2011 08:43 AM

cleaning soft windows with pledge???

Could of swore i read that somewhere on here. Dont want to use windex, afraid of dis-coloring. Any tips would be great, thanks

JeffBowser 11-04-2011 08:50 AM

Could HAVE sworn, not"could OF swore"..... :)

I wouldn't use Pledge on my furniture, let alone jeep window (it leaves a wax residue). I use soap and water,period. Once in awhile, I'll clean the inside with a spray cleaner made for this type of window. Right now I have a can of this: http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/1150

quadna71 11-04-2011 08:52 AM

or....Pledge works for a quick fix. It'll lighten back up in a few weeks but usually will make them pretty clear for a while. Just make sure you combine JeffBowser's advice too and use a light soap/water mix to clean them first so you aren't just buffing the dirt into the plastic.

Bordr329 11-04-2011 09:44 AM

Clean with soapy water, spray on pledge, lighly buff to white glazed look, grab new cloth, buff, enjoy the lemony freshness

danielbuck 11-04-2011 10:12 AM

I used pledge on a long trip across the US and back, it clears up the windows pretty good, but as mentioned, it doesn't really seem to last very long (more than a week or two for sure, but not a long time). I rinsed mine with warm water and a clean towel to get all the grit off, then once it was dry I used pledge and a small cloth, it seemed to work real good, and does make it fairly easy to quickly whipe off any dust or dirt that gets on there afterwords... for a little while anyway. Pledge is pretty cheap though, and you can get it just about anywhere, so that's nice.

FelonyTJ 11-04-2011 10:29 AM

Best Top vinyl window cleaner?

hustler905 11-04-2011 10:48 AM

There are different Pledges out there.

I would not use yellow, but orange Pledge leaves a lot less wax residue and has a citrus based cleaner in it. I have used that a few times before storing my windows and it works great.

PurpleTJ 11-04-2011 11:02 AM

McSomethin's "Plastix". Autozone has it. I found out about it here on JF somewhere, and it works great. I just used it like a week ago. No discoloring, and the windows are now much clearer. I have pics in my build but they don't do much justice.

Dogman 11-04-2011 11:02 AM

I use it every once in a while after cleaning my windows up really good with soap and water. Make sure they're dry then hit them with the Pledge (the orange is my favorite).

Dogman 11-04-2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleTJ (Post 12444085)
McSomethin's "Plastix". Autozone has it. I found out about it here on JF somewhere, and it works great. I just used it like a week ago. No discoloring, and the windows are now much clearer. I have pics in my build but they don't do much justice.

It's Meguiar's Plastx. I got some of that and I like the Pledge better. But, to each his own :D

Timido 11-04-2011 12:32 PM

We use to use Pledge or Honda Clean in the spray cans on Motorcycle fairings and windshield Worked great

Temple 11-08-2011 06:17 AM

Thanks everybody

vjw0307 11-08-2011 06:46 AM

I used a headlight cleaner on my soft windows...was AMAZED at how well it worked...I can actually see out of them now! Does a great job of "de-hazing" them and removes minor scratches!

RandyTJ 11-08-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bordr329 (Post 12443567)
Clean with soapy water, spray on pledge, lighly buff to white glazed look, grab new cloth, buff, enjoy the lemony freshness

Same here..........also wipe down your dash and door panels with the pledge rag...........smell the freshness!

deadwalkinsammy 11-08-2011 06:55 AM

What about zep window cleaner for vinyl windows, I would imagine that would work good...

The time now is 07:38 AM.