Cleaning soft windows? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-07-2005, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
BIGNUTT

Cleaning soft windows?

I've seen the stuff in catalouges that cleans and can take away the apearance of scratches and hazing and is suppost to protect from scratches too. Anything like this in a local store? My drivers side window is scratched up good from just unzipping it and folding it inside the door.

I used Penatrol on my flares, bumpers and bumper caps and now my '99 looks like a new Jeep....all except my windows are just scratched and getting a tad hazy.

*side note*

Can Penatrol be used on my dash? It works very well and I just keep seeing stuff that could be brightened up a bit, lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Overdrive
2013 JK Wrangler 

I know most people don't like the "factory" stuff but I have been using the Mopar plastic window cleaner since I drove my 04' Sport off the lot and have been very happy with the results. It also is suppose to remove small surface scratches but I haven't tried rubbing real agressively with it so I haven't verified it's scratch removal capabilities.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-08-2005, 08:56 AM
Mtrek33

2009 JK Wrangler 

I have herd that using pledge works well also. I haven't tried this, but i'm sure some one in here can attest to it.

"2009 Black JKX Unlimited nothing special except its monster ability to drive over any trail I throw at it!!"
"In competion, athletes frequently size up opponents only by external characteristics. Often overlooked is one critical intangible.....Heart!"

post #4 of 11 Old 06-08-2005, 09:11 AM
01SolarYellowTJ

Novus Plastic Polish works. Don't know if it's available local to you or not. Some boating shops or motorcycle shops may have it. I got mine from quadratech.

Had some fine scratches from dust on my back window...looked real cloudy, could barely see through it.....now it looks good as new. Looks like a brand new window.

Pledge is just going to fill the scratches with wax. As soon as it rains or you wash the window the wax is gonna come out and you'll see the scratches.

07 JK Unlimited X - 24s, Soft, Auto, 4:10's, Saraha 18's. OME Springs and Shocks, JKS Front and Rear Adj. Bars, JKS Disco's, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, Mopar Trail Guide.

01 WJ Limited -- Gone to make room for JK Unlimited!

01 TJ for me and my son-----BYE BYE TJ see you on the trails someday....

.__0_0_0_0
[l_,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)---)_)
post #5 of 11 Old 06-08-2005, 09:22 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Getting a haze on plastic windows often means paper towels were used to clean them, a BIG no-no. Use only soft cotton towels and lots of soapy water to avoid scratching them.

Gone to Florida 7/19-7/28.
When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-08-2005, 10:37 AM
scottcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
I know most people don't like the "factory" stuff but I have been using the Mopar plastic window cleaner since I drove my 04' Sport off the lot and have been very happy with the results. It also is suppose to remove small surface scratches but I haven't tried rubbing real agressively with it so I haven't verified it's scratch removal capabilities.
+1

I use the Mopar plastic window cleaner too. You can get it at the Jeep dealership, it's not cheap, like 8 bucks a bottle, but it works.

You can also probably find plastic window cleaner at your local car parts store.

As Jerry said, only use a cotton cloth to clean the windows, nothing else.

'99 TJ

White Jeep Club member #178
Colorado Jeepers Club member #7
post #7 of 11 Old 06-08-2005, 10:56 AM
KhakiRubicon

I bought "Old English" in "Diaper Wipe" containers. These are great, because it's the right type of paper cloth, and they're covered with the furniture polish.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhakiRubicon
I bought "Old English" in "Diaper Wipe" containers. These are great, because it's the right type of paper cloth,
If they're really basically made from paper, don't use them no matter how soft they feel. Kind of like using Kleenex on plastic lenses, a nice way to eventually scratch the hell out of them.

Gone to Florida 7/19-7/28.
When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Overdrive
2013 JK Wrangler 

Just another quick bit of info on the Mopar cleaner. Yes, it costs about $8 (of course you should be able to haggle that price down) but I have been using the same small bottle for just over a year and have plenty left.

I clean the windows with it almost religiously, every other wash. It only takes a little bit on a clean cotton rag to spread out on each window. It has the consistency of runny car wax.

FYI
post #10 of 11 Old 06-08-2005, 02:55 PM
pcdoc2010

I use plexus. Found at any cycle shop. It can be used to clean and polish any plastic
post #11 of 11 Old 06-08-2005, 06:03 PM
General Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Getting a haze on plastic windows often means paper towels were used to clean them, a BIG no-no. Use only soft cotton towels and lots of soapy water to avoid scratching them.
I agree but even better than cotton towels, Use Microfiber towels. I special order mine but over the counter I recomend Meguiars brand.

05' Unlimited, I6, 6spd, Soft Top - Gone but not forgotten

31x10.5 BFG MT KM2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in