1Likes
  • 1 Post By BlueFl.Wrangler

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-10-2020, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
66RBS
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Circuit fro DRL Halos

Guys

Working on my daughters 2004 TJ. She wants Halo DRL on when ion switch is on.

I am using the add a circuit fuse accessory

Just to confirm neg ground is the inboard terminal on battery. Test light hooked to neg post.

At the fuse box in the eng compartment I thought the radio circuit would be the correct one but it tests hot when switch is off

Poking around with my test light I get circuit 16 Oxygen sensor and circuit 28 shut down relay ig coil etc as the 2 circuits that are off when key off and energized when key on. That seem right to you guys. Seems like radio should be the right one.

Suggested Halo circuit for DRL?

Randy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-10-2020, 06:03 PM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I ran mine to the cig lighter
Super simple
NashvilleTJ likes this.

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill
post #3 of 8 Old 07-10-2020, 06:42 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66RBS View Post
Guys

Working on my daughters 2004 TJ. She wants Halo DRL on when ion switch is on.

I am using the add a circuit fuse accessory

Just to confirm neg ground is the inboard terminal on battery. Test light hooked to neg post.

At the fuse box in the eng compartment I thought the radio circuit would be the correct one but it tests hot when switch is off

Poking around with my test light I get circuit 16 Oxygen sensor and circuit 28 shut down relay ig coil etc as the 2 circuits that are off when key off and energized when key on. That seem right to you guys. Seems like radio should be the right one.

Suggested Halo circuit for DRL?

Randy
Where ever position you plan to use, make sure you install the add a circuit in the correct orientation. Most don't relaize there is a right and a wrong way to install, even though it may work.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx

post #4 of 8 Old 07-11-2020, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
66RBS
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Halo DRL circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
Where ever position you plan to use, make sure you install the add a circuit in the correct orientation. Most don't relaize there is a right and a wrong way to install, even though it may work.
2jhanna,

Please elaborate. If the add a circuit is in backwards I would think it would always be hot. Also careful to use one circuit for the original radio fuse and made sure it was for the radio. Second circuit for the Halos.

Any way I noticed the fuse panel behind the glove box also has a radio circuit #14. Apparently the radio fuse in the engine compartment isn't switched.

It behaves the way I expected, hot when ignition on and cold when switch is off. I did not want to run wires through the firewall but small issue.

Randy
post #5 of 8 Old 07-11-2020, 02:24 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The radio has fixed power for memory retention from the IOD fuse which is live at all times. The switched power is via the internal fuse panel fed from the ignition switch.

The accessory circuit would mean running wires from inside the Jeep. but if you wanted the lights on with ignition on but engine doesn't need to be running you'd have to run wires.

If you were to tap fuse 16 or 28 in the PDC (for O2 heaters) these are fed from the ASD relay, but I'd use that to switch a relay so as not to add load to the ASD fuse since that circuit is critical engine running. Using that output the lights would be on only for a couple of seconds when the ignition is first turned on, or when the engine is cranking or running. They would not be on if the ignition is on bu engine not running.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-11-2020, 07:14 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66RBS View Post
2jhanna,

Please elaborate. If the add a circuit is in backwards I would think it would always be hot.
no, if installed incorrectly, the circuit won't be hot all the time, instead, if installed incorrectly, all the current, for both circuits, old and new, would be "seen or felt" by the old fuse.

Example,
if the old circuit is a 15a fuse for the wipers that pulled 12a when on, and
The new circuit is a 10a fuse for your lights that pulled 8a when on,

All would work fine until you turned wipers and new lights on at the same time. The old fuse would "see" 20a (12+8) and would blow.

Correct orientation can be determined by using a volt meter or test light, or the easiest way is to remove the old fuse and make sure the new circuit still works. Meaning new current not flowing through (or dependent on) old fuse.

Here's a pic on mine.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1512.jpg  

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #7 of 8 Old 07-11-2020, 09:24 AM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you do use a fuse tap from the fuse block behind the glove box you would be better using one of fuses 5-8 which get 12v power only with key on. Fuse 14 as well as 13 get power in both key on & key in accessory position. So if you happen to be parked (engine off) but want the radio on & turn to acc besides the radio, the halos would be on.

To avoid running the wire from inside the cab follow Jonny’s directions posted above. That is a much better way to go.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-12-2020, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
66RBS
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Halo circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
If you do use a fuse tap from the fuse block behind the glove box you would be better using one of fuses 5-8 which get 12v power only with key on. Fuse 14 as well as 13 get power in both key on & key in accessory position. So if you happen to be parked (engine off) but want the radio on & turn to acc besides the radio, the halos would be on.

To avoid running the wire from inside the cab follow Jonny’s directions posted above. That is a much better way to go.
Thanks to all who responded. I was using the radio circuit 14 in the fuse box behind the glovebox. I had to run wire through the firewall and used a grommet thru an existing hole. But reviewing my work, I see circuit 19 is a switched accessory 20 A circuit. Changed to this circuit and revised with 5 Amp fuse.

Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in