• 2 Post By wkbear
  • 1 Post By Maverickxeo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-08-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Tylervalo
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Child seat in pre 03 rear seat

Hi all,

As I'm sure some people are aware, prior to 2003 the rear seats didn't have LATCH attachments built in and the rear seat belts also don't lock when pulled all the way out. I'm looking at purchasing a 2001 Sahara and need to put a child seat in the rear just in case I ever had to pick up kid in an emergency. Has anyone got a pre-03 with a child seat successfully installed?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-08-2019, 06:51 PM
wkbear

1995 ZJ 

Yes, you can. I've had all types of car seats in the back of Wranglers (pre-JK). While they don't lock when pulled all the way out, the locking mechanism is in the latch (slider) itself. You can also twist the buckle (part attached to the floor) 2-3 times in order to keep everything tight and keep the buckle from getting on the seat (should only have strap on the seat). Once you put the seat in, you can put your whole body weight into it (like I use to) or just push down with your arm. Once buckled, just make sure there's no more than one inch of movement AT THE BELT PATH (i.e. rear-facing the front of the seat can move and forward-facing non-booster the top can move a little). I'll keep an eye on this thread of you have any other questions. I'm a certified child safety seat technician, and a parent.
jeepguy03 likes this.

1995 Grand Cherokee Ltd., 5.2, 249, stock (for now)
post #3 of 11 Old 12-08-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Tylervalo
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you! So my takeaway from what you said is there is a mechanical slider on the belt retractor that can lock the belt, correct?

Our other vehicles have the LATCH hooks, but I do prefer the body weight and seat belt lock method as those seem stronger than the LATCH hooks the car seats come with.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-08-2019, 08:16 PM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
The LATCH system is not needed. It typically has a weight limit anyway and has to stop being used once the kid hits a certain weight, like 45 lbs or something like that. The belt buckles used on those era Jeeps don't require any twisting or other shenanigans when used. Put in seat route belt though appropriate spot on the seat put weight on seat tighten belt done.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension
post #5 of 11 Old 12-08-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Tylervalo
2005 TJ Wrangler 

But if the seat belt doesn't lock how does the seat stay secure? Our other vehicle we pull the belt all the way out, put our knees on the seat base and let it retract and lock in.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-09-2019, 07:00 AM
wkbear

1995 ZJ 

This is the rear seat latch (slider) on my 95 Grand Cherokee, but it's similar to my 99 Wrangler. That little bar at the top is designed to cinch down in the event of a collision. I'm both my Jeeps, my seats don't move more than the permitted amount.
jeepguy03 and downs like this.

1995 Grand Cherokee Ltd., 5.2, 249, stock (for now)
post #7 of 11 Old 12-09-2019, 01:25 PM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
^^^that. The buckle is designed that way.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension
post #8 of 11 Old 12-10-2019, 11:00 PM
Maverickxeo

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkbear View Post
This is the rear seat latch (slider) on my 95 Grand Cherokee, but it's similar to my 99 Wrangler. That little bar at the top is designed to cinch down in the event of a collision. I'm both my Jeeps, my seats don't move more than the permitted amount.
I do family support and use my 94 ZJ... I've had a few parents get mad because the seatbelts don't lock, but when I tell them its 'fine' they don't believe me. Once I get the seats in tight, they do not move at all thanks to that bar. After they try to move it, then they calm down.
wkbear likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-29-2019, 11:13 AM
Kerr63
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The Locking mechanism in the rear belts in my 2002 are activated when you decelerate quickly, not by the pulling of the belt quickly. There is a pendulum in the locking part thAt activates when you slow down quickly.
When the Jeep is stationary if you simply pull the seat belt quickly, nothing seems to happen, however if you decelerate quickly it will engage.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-30-2019, 02:46 PM
PotatoEater

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have an up and coming 2 year old daughter... Graco makes a wonderful seat that comes with a locking seat belt clip, similar to the synch style seat belts. I believe it's available on a lot of the 3-in-1 or 4-in-1 seats without a removable base (only draw back). They do sell the clip separate too. But the seat itself should last well up until their 60 lbs. They're pretty nice seats and Graco has one of the best safety ratings. The only other draw back I have with it is that the seat, while comfortably slid back for almost anyone including my 6'+ friend, can't can't recline at all with the car seat behind it. The back of the carseat sits pretty much in place behind the seat with little room for adjustment on reclining for whichever seat you place it behind. I have this setup in my 2002 TJ currently. Won't lie, can't wait till she's 35 lbs and can face forward. At this point, I've at least got her crawling into the seat by herself if I place her in the cab, so that's a start... Hah!

PotatoEater
"You gonna eat those taters?"

Last edited by PotatoEater; 12-30-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Added Jeep Yr/Model for clarification.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-31-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Tylervalo
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I can confirm it did work in the back of the 2001. The clip on the seat belt held it nice and firm once it was tightened down. I ditched the 01' because of rust thought and found an 05' Rubicon. I'm hoping to put her in a front facing seat ASAP as it's still a pain with a removable seat and nearly impossible with a non removable rear facing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in