Check Gauge - No AC/Fan Always On - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-02-2019, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Ziemer

Check Gauge - No AC/Fan Always On

New to us 2006 TJ with the 2.4 and factory AC. We put a new PCM in two weeks ago and everything was working as it should. Had a new check engine light that came on for a misfire in Cyl 3. That’s another issue but maybe related. Scanned it to confirm misfire condition and also had emissions fault from O2 which is probably the unburnt fuel.

At this point the new PCM had been installed for a little over a week and no issues.

After we scanned it and I restarted it the Check Gauges light came on. All gauges read normal and nothing was fluctuating. However, the AC clutch would not engage and the electric fan was constantly on. Both were working perfectly prior to check gauge light.

Voltage at battery is 13.9 when running. And the battery is new. Both oil pressure and water temp are in the normal range.

Terminals and cable ends at battery are clean.

I assume the gauge and no ac and fan are related? Seems like a “safe” mode of some sort.

Just not sure what else to check. Will scan again in the next or so to confirm new codes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-02-2019, 06:15 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Do you have a scanner or a code reader*?

look at pending codes, and freeze frame info.
correct an eng temp issue would default fan ON and may restrict AC operation.

"Scanned it to confirm misfire condition and also had emissions fault from O2 which is probably the unburnt fuel."
WTF emissions fault? The whole system is emission based.

* tell us what you use and its capabilities.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-02-2019, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Ziemer

Friend scanned with a Snap On scanner/laptop.

Don’t remember the exact code but was O2 sensor related and assumed was because of the misfire at idle.

Trying to coordinate with him to scan again.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-02-2019, 07:23 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

yes the misfire will likely be cause of o2 sensor code.

Work the misfire first, ignition, fuel or mechanical. Cylinder #3 - maybe a plug inspection to start, Wet, Dry, Black, tan, damaged,

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-02-2019, 07:48 AM
dbbd1
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Where did get the PCM from?
By most accounts, they can be hit or miss and you may have to try a few, before you find one that works properly. I assume that it is too late to try the original back in again? Why did swap it out in the first place?

The opinions of worthless people, are worthless.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
post #6 of 11 Old 05-02-2019, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Ziemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd1 View Post
Where did get the PCM from?
By most accounts, they can be hit or miss and you may have to try a few, before you find one that works properly. I assume that it is too late to try the original back in again? Why did swap it out in the first place?
Came from DCX. This is the 2nd one. First one died after 24 hours. Original PCM also had check gauge light on, and it started as an intermittent issue that progressively got worse and led to a no crank, no start issue. This current PCM has been in for a few weeks now. Check engine light came on first day, but we were expecting that since we hadn't troubleshot the misfire yet (was there since we got the Jeep) All was good for almost 2 weeks, until we went to troubleshoot the misfire and scanned it. When we unplugged the scanner and I went to drive it home, check gauge light came on.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-02-2019, 10:51 AM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here is a link that may help with the misfire.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/c.../#post40393193

If you turn the a/c off (mode selector to off) does the fan go off?

The primary connection between the a/c engagement, radiator fan & the check gauges light is the PCM. It might be something else but with the other PCM issues you are having & the problems often related to finding a “good” PCM replacement I would not rule it out.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-02-2019, 11:04 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

My kneejerk reaction is to question why multiple PCMs have been needed -- are they bad quality or is something burning them up? With the A/C select and fan control wires being located in different PCM connectors, I wonder if the problem area may be located in the PDC. The fan staying on would prompt me to check the control terminals of both fan relay sockets to see which one is at fault and go from there.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #9 of 11 Old 05-02-2019, 11:25 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

When your first PCM failed were your AC/fan symptoms the same as now? What happens if you battery reset?

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #10 of 11 Old 05-02-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Ziemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
When your first PCM failed were your AC/fan symptoms the same as now? What happens if you battery reset?
Yes.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-02-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Ziemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
My kneejerk reaction is to question why multiple PCMs have been needed -- are they bad quality or is something burning them up? With the A/C select and fan control wires being located in different PCM connectors, I wonder if the problem area may be located in the PDC. The fan staying on would prompt me to check the control terminals of both fan relay sockets to see which one is at fault and go from there.
I somewhat agree and that’s what’s concerning to me now. The original one was what I believe to be the original factory PCM. The Jeep only has 68k miles. But it sat for about 3 years before I bought it.

I will check the relay for the fan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in