Check Engine Light question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-26-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
01-TJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Check Engine Light question

Ive been having a check engine light come on lately. Ive reset it a few times and it doesnt take more than 20 mins for it to come back. The code I'm getting is the 'ol P0443 " Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Circut" code. The emission light on my code reader is showing a red light too. Ive also noticed my fuel economy is even worse since this light has been on.

My question is, can this problem be fixed myself? or should this go into a shop for fixing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-26-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
01-TJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I should mention, I have a 2001 TJ, 4.0L manual
post #3 of 3 Old 04-26-2012, 09:14 PM
JaikYJ

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hi Rubi4MyMrs posted this in another thread with somebody having the same problem as you. He has been helping me diagnose my CEL woes. Very knowledgable and helpful. Check out the link and see if it helps.

Pretty good explanation there. Here is a simpler take:

Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit --- An open or shorted condition detected in the EVAP purge solenoid control circuit. Check the charcoal canister for fuel saturation If the vehicle has been overfueled, then there is a chance that liquid fuel can enter the canister and cause drive problems or emission related problems.

Start by resetting the code & see if it returns, as mentioned in the link you found, it can be a one time thing. If you are not noticing a difference in how the engine runs, you may be OK.

Go here & pick TJ unlimited to get to your '04 & check out the EVAP system, I think it is in the emissions section.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service

87 YJ(sold), 97 TJ(sold), 99 TJ(daily)
03 R1 (fun)68 Mustang Coupe(summer)
67 Fastback(resto)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in