Check Engine light Flashing, no stored codes. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-12-2020, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Ian P.
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Check Engine light Flashing, no stored codes.

I was driving home the other day when the oil pressure gauge dropped to zero, within a few seconds the jeep died. After pulling over I checked the oil and it seemed fine(should be I only had 1500 miles since I changed it), I got it towed home and replaced the oil pressure switch and oil pump thinking maybe they were the cause but no dice. The check engine light is on and when I try to start the engine it turns over and the check engine light starts flashing. Tried to get any codes both with my OBD2 reader and with the dash but nothing is coming up. The check engine light stays on even after I disconnect the battery and touch the cables together. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-12-2020, 02:50 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Start with telling us what year your TJ is, how it is equipped, and any aftermarket electronic gizmos it may have. Does the Jeep have any other problems?

Quote:
Tried to get any codes both with my OBD2 reader and with the dash but nothing is coming up.
Does the code reader connect and communicate normally with the Jeep? Is the instrument cluster working normally?

Quote:
The check engine light is on and when I try to start the engine it turns over and the check engine light starts flashing.
Does the CEL come on steady, flash ten times, then go steady again?

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 6 Old 08-13-2020, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Ian P.
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
It is a 2006 wrangler X.

No other problems that I know of and the only aftermarket parts are bumpers, 2 spotlights, and a Warn winch.

Cluster seems normal.

Yes it flashes 10 times

post #4 of 6 Old 08-13-2020, 04:50 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The CEL flashing ten times then going steady again just tells you that the emissions monitors aren't set, ie, the Jeep isn't ready for an emissions test.

For a sudden loss of oil pressure followed by a no start condition on a 2006 w/4.0L, my first suspect is your OPDA drive gear or the corresponding gear on the camshaft may be stripped out. Unscrew the two screws holding the cap on your OPDA, remove the cap, then see if you can turn the tone/target wheel inside more than about ten degrees in either direction.
Attached Thumbnails
2005 opda.jpg  

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #5 of 6 Old 08-13-2020, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Ian P.
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
There is a small amount of play but I wouldn't say more than 10 degrees
post #6 of 6 Old 08-14-2020, 03:06 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You still haven't answered whether the scanner connects and communicates with the PCM or not. Please be sure to answer all questions.

For the oil pressure issue, you can either temporarily plumb in a mechanical pressure gauge to see if it builds pressure when the engine is cranked, or you can temporarily remove the stock sender and crank the engine for a few seconds to see if oil squirts out of the hole or not. This should at least tell you whether there is a legitimate lack of oil flow or if it's an indication problem.

For your no start problem, it's time to get back to basics. Inspect the engine bay for any loose electrical connectors, damaged wiring, or any other obvious issues. Check to see if you have any blown fuses in the fuse block located forward of the glove box or in the power distribution center (PDC), which is the box located just forward of the battery. When checking fuses, it's best to pull them out and check for continuity through the fuse with a meter unless it's obvious the element is blown -- a simple visual check doesn't always find a bad fuse. Make sure the battery is fully charged and that both ends of both battery cables have clean and tight connections. When you turn the ignition to the On/Run position (do not go to Start), can you hear the fuel pump run for two seconds? If you spray a shot of starter fluid down the throttle body then crank the engine over, does it briefly try to fire up?

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

Tags
issues , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in